American Gamefowl Information Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahma Chicken5000

Araucana Addict
6 Years
Sep 26, 2017
Central New Jersey
Hi everybody. I am really interested in American Gamefowl (standard or bantam) especially the roosters. Unfortunately I can’t have roosters where I live, but I still want to learn as much as I can about these magnificent birds. Some of my questions:
Is Kelso a color of American Gamefowl or a totally seperate breed?
How to house American Gamefowl.
Keeping roosters singly without hens.
What feed do they need?
Showing American Gamefowl.
Are the roosters’ crows loud?
How many different color varieties of American Gamefowl are there?
Where to/how to go about acquiring show quality American Gamefowl chickens?
Sorry for all the questions. I am just very eager to learn all I can about American Gamefowl.
PS Please post pictures the more the better.
Thank you.

ok here some answers for you game fowl come in many colors there like skittles taste the rainbow to house them you have different ways flight coops tie cords with barrels tee pees with tie cords walks yes you can keep cocks by themselves you will feed them 4 oz of maintenance everyday and leave one day with out food but fresh water everyday cocks will crow everyday and it will be loud-but make great watch dogs as the will crow when some they dont know comes near there are many gamefowl ranches on line where the price is determined on what your buying example a pair a hen and a stag will run from 500.00 to a 1000.00 and a trio will run 1000.00 to 1500.00

I've just started raising gamefowl in the last year, and I am amazed at how much I have grown to love them! Their beauty and personality has caused me to become very attached to them. We started out with Hulseys, but now we have expanded to Grays, Kelsos, Albany, Hatch and Velcros. Just hatched some Yellow Birchen and Golden Grays....so beautiful, and I've managed to name the majority of them!

ok here some answers for you game fowl come in many colors there like skittles taste the rainbow to house them you have different ways flight coops tie cords with barrels tee pees with tie cords walks yes you can keep cocks by themselves you will feed them 4 oz of maintenance everyday and leave one day with out food but fresh water everyday cocks will crow everyday and it will be loud-but make great watch dogs as the will crow when some they dont know comes near there are many gamefowl ranches on line where the price is determined on what your buying example a pair a hen and a stag will run from 500.00 to a 1000.00 and a trio will run 1000.00 to 1500.00
Thank you for the detailed response. Looks like I’ll have to put American Gamefowl on the back burner for now as I’m getting a trio of golden sebrights and a trio of silver sebrights this March and then after I get my large coop built I’m getting 5 or 6 layer chicks, so I’ll have my hands full.

Last edited:
We started out ordering eggs and incubating them, and they multiplied faster than our pens! So we did a lot of building and now they are all accommodated. They are also great layers, so that's a real plus! I'm sure you will enjoy your chickens, they are definitely a handful, but such a great addition to the family!

We started out ordering eggs and incubating them, and they multiplied faster than our pens! So we did a lot of building and now they are all accommodated. They are also great layers, so that's a real plus! I'm sure you will enjoy your chickens, they are definitely a handful, but such a great addition to the family!
I have to get an incubator also. So much to do and so little time :barnie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom