Developing my own breeds of gamefowl and bantam

Alrighty friends, lets start talking about a breeding plan for RJF brood cock this Spring.

I need some ideas on how to breed the RJF rooster this spring. here's what I have available:

4 American hens

the three phoenix hens

I haven't gotten rid of Lanky's son yet so if they give a little extra time i may get some chicks off him, but if they don't i can probably get some eggs from him crossed to an american.

the 1/2 American 1/4 RJF 1/4 OEGB pullet.

I’m also checking into some red Wahl aseel eggs, they are going to be mainly for the orientals but may be good for a one time cross with both the americans and the jungle fowl. but these won't be able to be used until next year

Any thoughts? I want to keep the birds as close to the RJF as possible, but significantly larger.
In that case use the four American hens and the Phoenix hens. I have some Sebright x Cubalaya hens that would probably help you, but they are peacomb. They are some real firecrackers and broody.
IMG_4341.JPG

In that case use the four American hens and the Phoenix hens. I have some Sebright x Cubalaya hens that would probably help you, but they are peacomb. They are some real firecrackers and broody.View attachment 3742328
Those hens look sharp, to bad we are not closer. That is a problem with the Americans having pea combs, I have one that has only one gene and she throws strait combs, but she isn’t to jungle fowl looking, the question is when crossing the jungle fowl to the American hens when picking the jungle fowl looking birds with straight combs will I lose the size that would make them more useful?

Those hens look sharp, to bad we are not closer. That is a problem with the Americans having pea combs, I have one that has only one gene and she throws strait combs, but she isn’t to jungle fowl looking, the question is when crossing the jungle fowl to the American hens when picking the jungle fowl looking birds with straight combs will I lose the size that would make them more useful?
Hatch enough to select the larger ones. You will probably get small-ish, medium and large-ish ones with those genetics.
These are full brothers to those hens I showed.
IMG_4045.JPG
IMG_5539.JPG

I cleared out the junglefowls roosters pin so he now has two americans, two jungle fowl, and the junglefowl/phoenix cross hen who looks like a jungle fowl but is twice the size. two hens have started laying in his coop one is an american the other is unknown at the moment. Hopefully by the tenth or so i can set some in the incubator. i did get 6 red wahl aseel eggs and are due to hatch on the tenth so hopefully they do well.

I personally find pea combs far superior to single combs. If any junglefowl had pea combs I think they would be hardier and more adaptable to the North American climate
I agree they are better adapted, but they just aren't as pretty IMO. Nothing like a big toothed single comb to say, "I am rooster, hear me crow!" Too bad I live in a cold state and really "should" go for pea/rose combs.

I agree they are better adapted, but they just aren't as pretty IMO. Nothing like a big toothed single comb to say, "I am rooster, hear me crow!" Too bad I live in a cold state and really "should" go for pea/rose combs.
Interesting. It feels the opposite to me. In my eye large combs just look like useless and awkward appendages, which I suppose they are

Interesting. It feels the opposite to me. In my eye large combs just look like useless and awkward appendages, which I suppose they are
Well the large combs are good for heat dissipation in hot climates. Kind of like an elephant's large ears. It's fun that everyone has a different aesthetic, that's why we have so many breeds of chickens to choose from! :)

Back
Top Bottom