American Game and Red Jungle Fowl

Nov 12, 2018
I'm into old classic breeds such as game chickens, I would love some Penny Hatch, White Hackle, Kelso, or Sweater. Where can I purchase relatively cheap eggs? I'm building chicken tractors and wanna start selectively breeding some smalll flocks for fun. I have plans for a bantam flock, and a Jungle Fowl flock that will live with my bantams until I have a permanent pen for those guys. But also are Indian Red Jungle Fowl from Purely Poultry a good choice? I'm also getting my bantam flock from Ideal. The birds consist of Old English, Silkie, and Sumatra.

So I'm looking mainly for reliable breeders who breed the listed American game up top but preferably as hatching eggs that are cheaper.

Also how do you hatch eggs? Any posts on it? Still nervous, getting my first incubator this year!!

I don’t know aboit the breeds you are asking about but there is a whole section on here just for incubating and hatching.

Also if no one answers your other questions then try the search function. You will find dozens of threads about jist about anything you ask.

Good luck and welcome.

🥚🐣🐥🐔

In my experience the jungle fowl offered by hatcheries are some blend of American Game and Bantam. Most of your classic American Games of known lineage are not available as hatching eggs. Understand that these birds come into lay in the spring, they lay maybe a dozen eggs, and then they set on them and hatch them. If you take the eggs away, they will lay maybe twenty and shut off, some of them will shut off if they have any missing eggs, until you move them to a different pen that doesn't have an egg eating predator in their mind. I swear they can count. Most breeders let them raise their chicks, two to four broods a year, and they want to see chicks mature so they can select future breeding stock, and sell their surplus as young adults. Purchase price can be upsetting to folks used to hatchery birds, but remeber, you are buying a bird that could have a twenty year productive lifespan. Hatcheries do well with boosted egg production, it fits their business model much better. I once crossed leghorn with American game. They would lay earlier, and lay a lot more eggs before going broody,(maybe twenty to thirty) a few didn't go broody. Seeing birds, that are known to lay maybe fifty eggs per year tops, offered commercially makes me immediately question purity.

I don't have any American Games, there are various groups that you could join to find some. I know that pure Morgan whitehackles are very hard to come by, you might easier find a similar colored bird in some strains of Ruble Hatch.

You sometimes see eggs on Ebay. Hatching results can vary. Temperature and package handling are always factors of success. Getting a pair shipped in as adults will be a surer bet, and you won't have to deal with learning how to successfully incubate eggs. They already know.

You sometimes see eggs on Ebay. Hatching results can vary. Temperature and package handling are always factors of success. Getting a pair shipped in as adults will be a surer bet, and you won't have to deal with learning how to successfully incubate eggs. They already know.
I try won't look at eBay till I hatch eggs since there and many 1-3 day bids always on the breeds I want. 🤣 but I will have to see if I can get some eggs then!!!

I
In my experience the jungle fowl offered by hatcheries are some blend of American Game and Bantam. Most of your classic American Games of known lineage are not available as hatching eggs. Understand that these birds come into lay in the spring, they lay maybe a dozen eggs, and then they set on them and hatch them. If you take the eggs away, they will lay maybe twenty and shut off, some of them will shut off if they have any missing eggs, until you move them to a different pen that doesn't have an egg eating predator in their mind. I swear they can count. Most breeders let them raise their chicks, two to four broods a year, and they want to see chicks mature so they can select future breeding stock, and sell their surplus as young adults. Purchase price can be upsetting to folks used to hatchery birds, but remeber, you are buying a bird that could have a twenty year productive lifespan. Hatcheries do well with boosted egg production, it fits their business model much better. I once crossed leghorn with American game. They would lay earlier, and lay a lot more eggs before going broody,(maybe twenty to thirty) a few didn't go broody. Seeing birds, that are known to lay maybe fifty eggs per year tops, offered commercially makes me immediately question purity.

I don't have any American Games, there are various groups that you could join to find some. I know that pure Morgan whitehackles are very hard to come by, you might easier find a similar colored bird in some strains of Ruble Hatch.
Yeah I understand it's not cheap, but I also have very little money to come by personally as I'm liimg at my parents they don't justtt give me money I gotta work for it. But I'm wanting to begin breeding some small lines that are good quality. But I'm also trying to breed shock that will benefit what I'm looking for. American game, Old English, and the Jungle Fowl are a base to what I want to use for different breeding projects. As after I finish stocking up on breeds I need I need, I'm never buying hatchery bird's again... I'm done with short lived breeds that dont fit what I'm looking for. I'd buy adult birds or started but usually goes to high for what I'm hoping for within price range. I know I sound like a spoiled jerk lol. But I really am limited on price but just looking for strong genetics which gamefowl match perfectly what I'm looking for. Resilient layers who dont lay many eggs but have long laying span. I'm getting some flarry eyed grays and brown red American game from Greenfire but probably not for another year. Price for good birds I know can be costly and I'm mainly trying to avoid big hatcheries soon. Primary because I've found certain breeds dont live as long.

I'm trying to get American game for that reason that they lay less, but sadly I'm not able to spend upwards $100+ on a bird...I'm not an adult yet nor do I have a job, my parents wont allow me to get such high end birds. But I'm able to get hatching eggs or from hatcheries. I'm primarily wanting to order my bantams, then the jungle fowl, some completion stock for my Olive Egger line (which I plan to include game chickens in to produce fewer eggs) them I'm never buying hatchery birds again unless a lot of stock dies. I'm wanting to go to hatching eggs for game fowl because I don't mind hatching eggs, I'd prefer it better too as I can raise them the way I want as well as be more suited to my area earlier on. I'm also wanting to get select stock from Grenfire farms, their Flarry Eyed Grays, and BR American Game. but that's not happening for a while either... I need to clear out more space to build more housing.. My goal is to have longer-term egg layers, healthier genetics, as well as less egg capacity. Anywhere between 70-150 eggs a year. Any higher is flat out going to kill the birds over time... All my heavy producers are ill or now dead... thanks to hawks and coons lately... But I thought I'd look into the Jungle fowl since they are more likely to get away from hawks which has been my biggest issue in my giant pen. Thank you for letting me know more! I am truly up to the challenge of trying to get American game, I didn't really know they could live that long and produce that well. Which I see makes them all the more expensive but still.Till I'm earning money from someone else no way mom will let me order a couple hundred dollar bird... but hopefully when I get a job I'm wanting to build more housing.

I was lucky to get a few eggs from my hen to be able to hatch a few of my own, Hope you are able to find someone close by to get what your looking for. here is a photo of my chicks. I love Game Fowl! The chicks are super smart even at day one they learn fast!
IMG_20210218_094511342.jpg

I

Yeah I understand it's not cheap, but I also have very little money to come by personally as I'm liimg at my parents they don't justtt give me money I gotta work for it. But I'm wanting to begin breeding some small lines that are good quality. But I'm also trying to breed shock that will benefit what I'm looking for. American game, Old English, and the Jungle Fowl are a base to what I want to use for different breeding projects. As after I finish stocking up on breeds I need I need, I'm never buying hatchery bird's again... I'm done with short lived breeds that dont fit what I'm looking for. I'd buy adult birds or started but usually goes to high for what I'm hoping for within price range. I know I sound like a spoiled jerk lol. But I really am limited on price but just looking for strong genetics which gamefowl match perfectly what I'm looking for. Resilient layers who dont lay many eggs but have long laying span. I'm getting some flarry eyed grays and brown red American game from Greenfire but probably not for another year. Price for good birds I know can be costly and I'm mainly trying to avoid big hatcheries soon. Primary because I've found certain breeds dont live as long.

I'm trying to get American game for that reason that they lay less, but sadly I'm not able to spend upwards $100+ on a bird...I'm not an adult yet nor do I have a job, my parents wont allow me to get such high end birds. But I'm able to get hatching eggs or from hatcheries. I'm primarily wanting to order my bantams, then the jungle fowl, some completion stock for my Olive Egger line (which I plan to include game chickens in to produce fewer eggs) them I'm never buying hatchery birds again unless a lot of stock dies. I'm wanting to go to hatching eggs for game fowl because I don't mind hatching eggs, I'd prefer it better too as I can raise them the way I want as well as be more suited to my area earlier on. I'm also wanting to get select stock from Grenfire farms, their Flarry Eyed Grays, and BR American Game. but that's not happening for a while either... I need to clear out more space to build more housing.. My goal is to have longer-term egg layers, healthier genetics, as well as less egg capacity. Anywhere between 70-150 eggs a year. Any higher is flat out going to kill the birds over time... All my heavy producers are ill or now dead... thanks to hawks and coons lately... But I thought I'd look into the Jungle fowl since they are more likely to get away from hawks which has been my biggest issue in my giant pen. Thank you for letting me know more! I am truly up to the challenge of trying to get American game, I didn't really know they could live that long and produce that well. Which I see makes them all the more expensive but still.Till I'm earning money from someone else no way mom will let me order a couple hundred dollar bird... but hopefully when I get a job I'm wanting to build more housing.
If your ultimate goal is more longevity in your flock. I think you should try. Going with some sort of a heritage bred, dual purpose fowl. Instead of game fowl. Again you will have to find a breeder with the right strain. Cost will also still be a big factor. The old strain Rhode Island Reds like self sustaining farmers used to raise. Go broody and do not lay themselves to death. Plus they will stand confinement way better than any game breed. You will not have to keep the cocks separated and they will produce a better table bird. The older non productive hens. Go in the stew pot with dumplings.

If your ultimate goal is more longevity in your flock. I think you should try. Going with some sort of a heritage bred, dual purpose fowl. Instead of game fowl. Again you will have to find a breeder with the right strain. Cost will also still be a big factor. The old strain Rhode Island Reds like self sustaining farmers used to raise. Go broody and do not lay themselves to death. Plus they will stand confinement way better than any game breed. You will not have to keep the cocks separated and they will produce a better table bird. The older non productive hens. Go in the stew pot with dumplings.
I personally prefer Asiatic and game breeds over most. Especially Brahma and Sumatra under Asiatic breeds.

Back
Top Bottom