American serama thread!

Here are my two serama babies!!!
Otis

And izzy

Ok guys, so my serama hen and my EE started to lay at the same time! I ordered a bator cause I want to hatch some eggs, but I keep reading that seramas are hard to hatch in a bator. So when my EE went broody I figured I'd let her try to hatch them. She has excepted the eggs and doing great but the babies are so small when they hatch I'm afraid to leave them with her, should I tske them when they hatch (hopefully they will) or should I try them with mama EE?

Ok guys, so my serama hen and my EE started to lay at the same time! I ordered a bator cause I want to hatch some eggs, but I keep reading that seramas are hard to hatch in a bator. So when my EE went broody I figured I'd let her try to hatch them. She has excepted the eggs and doing great but the babies are so small when they hatch I'm afraid to leave them with her, should I tske them when they hatch (hopefully they will) or should I try them with mama EE?

I would... I have lost chicks that were with their tiny moms, due to accidents like getting kicked while mum was scratching the dirt. These guys are tiny and fragile.

I would... I have lost chicks that were with their tiny moms, due to accidents like getting kicked while mum was scratching the dirt. These guys are tiny and fragile.

I have an EE egg under her to do hopefully it hatches so she can still raise a baby. When would suggest taking the serama babies? When they are still wet if I'm catch them in time or wait till they dry? Or obviously as soon as I find them if they hatch while I'm at work or something

I have an EE egg under her to do hopefully it hatches so she can still raise a baby. When would suggest taking the serama babies? When they are still wet if I'm catch them in time or wait till they dry? Or obviously as soon as I find them if they hatch while I'm at work or something

Just wait until the whole batch is done hatching, she will sit quietly. My Seramas always hatch at day 20 so they may hatch before the EE egg.

Just wait until the whole batch is done hatching, she will sit quietly. My Seramas always hatch at day 20 so they may hatch before the EE egg.

Thank you for replying and for your help!
I put the serama eggs under her 1 and 2 days after she had already sat on her EE egg. Hoping for a same day hatch. Thanks again!

I was concerned about my LF chicken on my serama eggs but she did beautifully, hatched them all and took careful care of them. So I think it really depends on the hen.

I was concerned about my LF chicken on my serama eggs but she did beautifully, hatched them all and took careful care of them.  So I think it really depends on the hen.

My EE on the eggs is a rescue hen. Came to me in real bad shape. She is terrified of people and is so scared, she goes crazy. I will just go with my gut. If your real slow and talk soft she stays pretty calm. I will just see how it goes but be ready to tske them. I just don't want her to get scared and hurt them in her fright.

Back
Top Bottom