American serama thread!

My new serema pair john wayne and tonto my first seremas ever

Hi! I'm new to this thread and about to be a first time chicken owner next week. I ordered my chicks from mypetchicken and have been doing my research, but I only now came across the Serama breed :he . I am in NY just above NYC and would love to look into ordering a pair of seramas for next season. Does anyone know a reputable hatchery that carries them? I have been looking but am really only familiar with a few big name hatcheries who don't seem to carry them. Would love a male and female if possible!

Also, it does get quite cold in the NY. I know they are not cold hardy. Is this a bad idea or would winterizing a coop be ok? They are just so pretty, but I don't want to put them at risk!

Hi! I'm new to this thread and about to be a first time chicken owner next week. I ordered my chicks from mypetchicken and have been doing my research, but I only now came across the Serama breed :he . I am in NY just above NYC and would love to look into ordering a pair of seramas for next season. Does anyone know a reputable hatchery that carries them? I have been looking but am really only familiar with a few big name hatcheries who don't seem to carry them. Would love a male and female if possible!

Also, it does get quite cold in the NY. I know they are not cold hardy. Is this a bad idea or would winterizing a coop be ok? They are just so pretty, but I don't want to put them at risk!

Hi! And welcome!
I couldn't find a hatchery that sells them either. They are still considered new to the US. Your best bet is threw a breeder. Someone on here may see this and have birds near you and you can look on the sale/trade thread/forum on BYC. Also google serama breeders in and around your area.

And as far as the cold goes, yes you are correct they are not cold hardy but if you add a heat lamp and winterized the coop they should be ok. I saw where a breeder added heat lamp boxes in there run so they could get in snd out as they pleased. They are so small some people bring them inside at night or even full time. Good luck :)

Hi! And welcome!
I couldn't find a hatchery that sells them either. They are still considered new to the US. Your best bet is threw a breeder. Someone on here may see this and have birds near you and you can look on the sale/trade thread/forum on BYC. Also google serama breeders in and around your area.

And as far as the cold goes, yes you are correct they are not cold hardy but if you add a heat lamp and winterized the coop they should be ok. I saw where a breeder added heat lamp boxes in there run so they could get in snd out as they pleased. They are so small some people bring them inside at night or even full time. Good luck :)
There aren't any hatcheries that carry them. The chicks are too small and fragile to ship. 

Ok, thank you both so much!

I went to Riverside animal shelter to adopt these 2 Chickens one is a Serama roo and the other is an all gray hen what breed do you think she is??? She had feathers on the side of her legs.. And her skin on her feet is black...

I went to Riverside animal shelter to adopt these 2 Chickens one is a Serama roo and the other is an all gray hen what breed do you think she is??? She had feathers on the side of her legs.. And her skin on her feet is black...

Awww! Good for you to adopt :)
What a handsome boy!
And the hen she is very small, gotta be a mix of some sort. Prob serama mix, she looks young her comb doesn't look red yet in the pic. Still pink.

BLESS YOU for saving them! She is probably a "barnie" {{barnyard mix}} little of this and little of that, The black skin is suggestive of silkie blood maybe?? She IS cute whatever she is! :love

Back
Top Bottom