American serama thread!

I'm deffinateley interested PrizePete! And I'm still interested in yours Shahtir, I may try both ;-)
I've had him since........March...ish...??? He came from a local breeder. I traded a pair of Silkies I bred, for him and a Serama hen. He's a great little guy. Stands straight up, breeds great, only thing is his tail isn't like the normal Seramas I've seen. I hope to get into showing eventually and am just wondering if this is a gene I don't want to breed.
Since then, I've gotten out of Silkies except my paints, gotten completely out of Polish except a few for pets and am focusing completely on Seramas and my mille fleur Cochin bantams, which I haven't shown but got from some great lines SQ and know about their genes and stuff (Third generation I've worked with them)
I'm new to Seramas, and so far they're my fave. Sooo, tell me about this guys tail
wink.png

He is the dad of the AA hen I posted earlier. He is type A, and his stance is great when he's on a table.

I think what you are seeing is the Sickles curving, It isn't a great Gene, and I would try to breed away from it, And his back is a little long, But I like him a lot! His comb could be a little smaller, and wings more vertical, but he is a fantastic Starter!
Also should ad that he was 2 months old when I got him. And I think it was June. I am sooooo mixed up. Yeah, that's right. It was March when I decided to trade with this breeder, and by the time we both had pairs the other wanted, old enough to know for sure they were a pair, it was June.
He looks good!

I think he might have squirrel tail. If he does I would't recommend breeding him, but you could keep him around as a pet for sure.
thumbsup.gif

edit: also you may want to wait until he molts before you stop using him for breeding. It might just be a funky way his feathers grew in and fix itself after a molt
not Squirrel tail... I think squirrel tail is when it goes over his head

I think what you are seeing is the Sickles curving, It isn't a great Gene, and I would try to breed away from it, And his back is a little long, But I like him a lot! His comb could be a little smaller, and wings more vertical, but he is a fantastic Starter!
He looks good!

not Squirrel tail... I think squirrel tail is when it goes over his head

Maybe I am not really sure, that was my best guess

I'm deffinateley interested PrizePete! And I'm still interested in yours Shahtir, I may try both ;-) I've had him since........March...ish...??? He came from a local breeder. I traded a pair of Silkies I bred, for him and a Serama hen. He's a great little guy. Stands straight up, breeds great, only thing is his tail isn't like the normal Seramas I've seen. I hope to get into showing eventually and am just wondering if this is a gene I don't want to breed. Since then, I've gotten out of Silkies except my paints, gotten completely out of Polish except a few for pets and am focusing completely on Seramas and my mille fleur Cochin bantams, which I haven't shown but got from some great lines SQ and know about their genes and stuff (Third generation I've worked with them) I'm new to Seramas, and so far they're my fave. Sooo, tell me about this guys tail ;) He is the dad of the AA hen I posted earlier. He is type A, and his stance is great when he's on a table.
Peeps, let me help you guys with what your trying to figure out, Squirrel tail is when the tail leans forward. WRY tail is when the tail leans to one side. The frizzled serama cock has a correct tail for the frizzle. The Gray colored cock in this post, I am sorry to say, is NOT a serama, OR he only has a little Serama in his blood. Serama tails should NOT look like this, his legs appear white/pink and I am assuming his beak is white as well. The sickle feathers should be straight as shown below,
More than likely he is an OEGB, but he is a pretty looking fellow :)

Back
Top Bottom