American serama thread!

Froggies:

His beak and legs are both yellow, the lighting in the house made them look white. And I know he's a Serama, he came from a show breeder who ONLY breeds Seramas, shows Seramas, and knows their stuff. He's just a rotten one
1f602.png
And I don't think he could be so small if he was anything else, this little guy is tiny.
When I got him it was too early to tell what his sickles were going to look like. A friend of mine got his full brother and his tail is perfect. I will see if they'll send me a pic I can post.

Prizepete:
May I ask what you mean by he has a long back? What length am I trying to breed toward with Seramas? He's got a short back IMO but again I'm not experienced.
Also, he's got a straighter stance when he's on a table (I've been training him. I know he's not SQ but I'm learning with him as he's real easy to work with) and when he's with hens. In the pic he's about to fly onto my Christmas tree.

Also, about that comb....
Not tryna argue with you guys, but his combs one of the things that has me confused
1f602.png

His comb stopped growing when he hit six months. Stayed the same size for a LONG time.
Then when it finally started getting cold and he moved into the barn with a heat lamp, BOOM he's got a MASSIVE comb. Same thing happened to a little cockerel. He looked like a pullet practically. Moved him under the light and practically in a day he had a comb almost as big as his dad's. What's happening here? Something to do with the heat?

Peeps, let me help you guys with what your trying to figure out,
Squirrel tail is when the tail leans forward.
WRY tail is when the tail leans to one side.

The frizzled serama cock has a correct tail for the frizzle.

The Gray colored cock in this post, I am sorry to say, is NOT a serama, OR he only has a little Serama in his blood. Serama tails should NOT look like this, his legs appear white/pink and I am assuming his beak is white as well. The sickle feathers should be straight as shown below,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7222781/width/350/height/700[/

More than likely he is an OEGB, but he is a pretty looking fellow :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help we were kind of lost[IMG]emojione/assets/png/1f44d.png?v=2.2.7
1f602.png

Froggies:

His beak and legs are both yellow, the lighting in the house made them look white. And I know he's a Serama, he came from a show breeder who ONLY breeds Seramas, shows Seramas, and knows their stuff. He's just a rotten one
1f602.png
And I don't think he could be so small if he was anything else, this little guy is tiny.
When I got him it was too early to tell what his sickles were going to look like. A friend of mine got his full brother and his tail is perfect. I will see if they'll send me a pic I can post.

I would be curious what breeder he came from.... Can you tell the difference in your fella and the pics I posted of SQ seramas? He does have OEGB in him somewhere in his breeding and it has come out in him. I would not try to breed this boy IF you are looking for SQ, you want to start witht he best you can buy. If all you want to do is make more seramas for funnzies, go for it :D

I have a little hen right now that was gifter to me, and her parents are Seramas, but to look at her you would think she is an OEGB.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help we were kind of lost
1f44d.png
1f602.png

Anytime guys, I have been at this for over 5 years and go to all the TT shows in CA. every year representing the Breed. I find it interesting that people that do NOT show talk about "class A B and C sizes. For showing it does not matter, the ONLY thing that matters is if a bird makes it to Tier 2 and judge is deciding on two equally nice birds to advance higher, they might weigh them to see if they both are in the alloted weight or over.
GENERALLY speaking class A weight birds have very low to none fertility and/or egg laying problems. If you have a bird that lays eggs regularly and hatches nice birds, GUARD HER WITH YER LIFE! They are gold.

Anytime guys, I have been at this for over 5 years and go to all the TT shows in CA. every year representing the Breed. I find it interesting that people that do NOT show talk about "class A B and C sizes. For showing it does not matter, the ONLY thing that matters is if a bird makes it to Tier 2 and judge is deciding on two equally nice birds to advance higher, they might weigh them to see if they both are in the alloted weight or over.
GENERALLY speaking class A weight birds have very low to none fertility and/or egg laying problems. If you have a bird that lays eggs regularly and hatches nice birds, GUARD HER WITH YER LIFE! They are gold.

I just started showing and breeding my birds las year. I have a class A hen who lays regularly and a class B hen that lays regularly also. I am going to check fertility next month. I have 2 more class A hens that should be laying soon. Once they lay, I am going to start my EE serama project
1f44d.png

I'm deffinateley interested PrizePete! And I'm still interested in yours Shahtir, I may try both ;-) I've had him since........March...ish...??? He came from a local breeder. I traded a pair of Silkies I bred, for him and a Serama hen. He's a great little guy. Stands straight up, breeds great, only thing is his tail isn't like the normal Seramas I've seen. I hope to get into showing eventually and am just wondering if this is a gene I don't want to breed. Since then, I've gotten out of Silkies except my paints, gotten completely out of Polish except a few for pets and am focusing completely on Seramas and my mille fleur Cochin bantams, which I haven't shown but got from some great lines SQ and know about their genes and stuff (Third generation I've worked with them) I'm new to Seramas, and so far they're my fave. Sooo, tell me about this guys tail ;) He is the dad of the AA hen I posted earlier. He is type A, and his stance is great when he's on a table.
Just a FYI: this is an OEGB, see the similarities? Yer boy carries his tail higher because of the serama in him :)

Last edited:
Couldn't he just be a Serama with a weird tail? I've hatched a pure Silkie with sickles before, weird things happen. I don't think he can be mixed based off of where he came from. Everything about him but the shape of his sickles says Serama. Other than his tail what makes you think OEGB? What I'm seeing is a poor quality Serama. I'm still tryna get a pic of his brother. His bro is a perfect Serama, tail and all.

Back
Top Bottom