American serama thread!

Since I don't wanna take the chance, I will be separating the Seramas tomorrow. The pair and their two chicks in a seperste pen than the other eight.
Now I'm impatient for the others' sickles to come in.

Since I don't wanna take the chance, I will be separating the Seramas tomorrow. The pair and their two chicks in a seperste pen than the other eight.
Now I'm impatient for the others' sickles to come in.

I'm sorry. It really sucks when something like that happens
1f614.png
I hope you have better luck hatching eggs

Prizepete:
May I ask what you mean by he has a long back? What length am I trying to breed toward with Seramas? He's got a short back IMO but again I'm not experienced.
Also, he's got a straighter stance when he's on a table (I've been training him. I know he's not SQ but I'm learning with him as he's real easy to work with) and when he's with hens. In the pic he's about to fly onto my Christmas tree.
You want the back to be as short as possible. Like, almost non existent.

Definitely NOT serama! Look at the leg color, very typical of Old English. He is a much more horizontal bird than a vertical bird.

Off topic, BUT will you be at the serama show in Manteca Valentines day weekend?
Here's the size egg the hen lays. Again, flash sabotaged the pic. It's normally light brown.

Hen's feet. Funny grey colour.

She doesn't stand very straight unless she's on alert.

That hens back is WAY long, I would talk to the person that you got them and tell them you got terrible birds, If they are a respectable breeder, they will replace the birds

Prizepete, got any pics of your Seramas? I'm def gonna be ordering eggs in the spring. Especially now. I need some good pure birds. But of course I gotta see pics
wink.png
I Just took some, I will load them onto my computer right now and post them!

Should their backs be really short even as chicks? Like, at hatch they should have a tiny back?

Nope. They will look like normal chicks when they hatch. As they get older you will start to see the short backs. Seramas also relax and stand like a normal chick. Then they pose, like how Seramas are in pictures. Does that make sense?

Nope. They will look like normal chicks when they hatch. As they get older you will start to see the short backs. Seramas also relax and stand like a normal chick. Then they pose, like how Seramas are in pictures. Does that make sense?

Yeah. So my eight little ones, although they look like normal chickens (who sometimes stick their tails straight up) right now, as they get older they (if they're good Seramas) will start getting the Serama stance?

Last edited:
Yeah. So my eight little ones, although they look like normal chickens (who sometimes stick their tails straight up) right now, as they get older they (if they're good Seramas) will start getting the Serama stance?

As they get older they will start to pose when hey want to honestly
1f602.png
the roosters will do it more than the hens, since they are flashier. You will want to look for chickens that naturally pose easy and want to. Then train them to make their pose the best it can be
1f44d.png

As they get older they will start to pose when hey want to honestly
1f602.png
the roosters will do it more than the hens, since they are flashier. You will want to look for chickens that naturally pose easy and want to. Then train them to make their pose the best it can be
1f44d.png

But even when they're not posing, they have short backs? One of the little hens constantly walks around with her wings down and tail up. If I didn't know any better I'd think she was a rooster...

Back
Top Bottom