American serama thread!

Wow, thank you!

I've noticed much talk lately about the foam packing pads with holes in them for inserting eggs. Everyone seems to have good things to say about them, but I haven't taken that leap yet. I use bubble wrap and pine shavings. Postal service priority boxes are free.

I might order some of these, but they aren't cheap ($3-5 each, I think), and I hate to add more to the cost of shipping as it is. But it might be nice to offer the buyer as an option, I guess.
I’ve never received eggs in these but from pictures I’ve seen the eggs didn’t look to be held very tight in them, I’d be worried about the eggs wiggle too much. When I was researching shipped eggs last summer it seems people were having the best luck when eggs were packed tightly in one box then small box put in second box with padding between 2 boxes and fresh eggs(no more than 3 days old) smaller the air cells the better. I had 2 decent hatched from shipped Silkie eggs last year.

:wee
The 2nd serama egg hatched at 1:13am this morning..... right on time = day 19 (since it was added a day late)
IMG_5288.JPG

I'm going to move them into the brooder as soon as the new one is walking a bit. More pics will come then.

A few of the orp eggs have pips this morning, so most of the LF should hatch tomorrow (day 21).

I’ve never received eggs in these but from pictures I’ve seen the eggs didn’t look to be held very tight in them, I’d be worried about the eggs wiggle too much. When I was researching shipped eggs last summer it seems people were having the best luck when eggs were packed tightly in one box then small box put in second box with padding between 2 boxes and fresh eggs(no more than 3 days old) smaller the air cells the better. I had 2 decent hatched from shipped Silkie eggs last year.

They make different sized holes. I bet serama eggs would be held best in ones cut for quail or pheasant eggs. I also have bantam cochins and their eggs are so much bigger than the seramas, I bet the bantam cut-outs would be too big for serama eggs.

I’ve had everywhere from excellent to horrible results with shipped eggs coming to me. Most of my customers have pretty good luck with my packing in shavings. So much depends on which postal hub they go thru!

I tried these dividers on a shipment, but never got any feedback from the buyer :rolleyes:
75F60FB6-3FCA-49E0-AC4B-677147D812E1.jpeg

This is how I normally pack, pic taken prior to adding more shavings on top, plus a layer of foam:
E2E17D95-0EB5-4B33-BA87-2CACD3AFF3F3.jpeg

And if I don’t double box, I try to reinforce the corners with an extra piece of cardboard standing up in the corner.

They make different sized holes. I bet serama eggs would be held best in ones cut for quail or pheasant eggs. I also have bantam cochins and their eggs are so much bigger than the seramas, I bet the bantam cut-outs would be too big for serama eggs.

I’ve had everywhere from excellent to horrible results with shipped eggs coming to me. Most of my customers have pretty good luck with my packing in shavings. So much depends on which postal hub they go thru!

I tried these dividers on a shipment, but never got any feedback from the buyer :rolleyes:
View attachment 1688263

This is how I normally pack, pic taken prior to adding more shavings on top, plus a layer of foam:
View attachment 1688262

And if I don’t double box, I try to reinforce the corners with an extra piece of cardboard standing up in the corner.
Look great.

I got the serama cockerel all healed from his broody beat down and the broody with her Silkie chick outside set up in a 8x8 section of my coop. They must have bonded well in the house in cages next to each other because they are both so cute with this chick, he tidbits for it and takes food out of the feeder for it. Stands over them well they eat. Last night I went out and the cockerel and broody were sleeping side by side and the Silkie chick poked his head out and he was sleeping between them. The plan is to use this area to separate the Silkies from the Seramas but last night the 4 younger hens jumped ship they were not having any of it and they were sleeping snuggled in the Silkie pile. In the spring I will put some plastic lattice up, I just can’t get to it now with the snow. I’m wondering if I put up a sheet if that will keep them in? I have a gate you can’t see in the picture that only closes the bottom half of the left side.
04030B79-960D-43AB-8E27-F065B5268D01.jpeg

I got the serama cockerel all healed from his broody beat down and the broody with her Silkie chick outside set up in a 8x8 section of my coop. They must have bonded well in the house in cages next to each other because they are both so cute with this chick, he tidbits for it and takes food out of the feeder for it. Stands over them well they eat. Last night I went out and the cockerel and broody were sleeping side by side and the Silkie chick poked his head out and he was sleeping between them. The plan is to use this area to separate the Silkies from the Seramas but last night the 4 younger hens jumped ship they were not having any of it and they were sleeping snuggled in the Silkie pile. In the spring I will put some plastic lattice up, I just can’t get to it now with the snow. I’m wondering if I put up a sheet if that will keep them in? I have a gate you can’t see in the picture that only closes the bottom half of the left side.
View attachment 1688706

You mean like a bed sheet? I’d say if you secure it, it should work. How about a cheap clear shower curtain from the dollar store?
The plastic lattice will have to be small holes, with them being so little lol

Back
Top Bottom