American serama thread!

these guys are 2 1/2 months and they are tiny.
Any idea were i can find tags for my baby seramas. My 3 girls just gave me a batch each. I need to tag them but as u can imagine they are super tiny. About as big as a new hatched quail.. any ideas.???

hey everyone new serama momma here.can someone fill me in on the basics.at what age should i expect the first egg,and when will the rooster mate?at what age can i safely breed them?any and all info is helpful

hey everyone new serama momma here.can someone fill me in on the basics.at what age should i expect the first egg,and when will the rooster mate?at what age can i safely breed them?any and all info is helpful

Welcome! Mine are almost 12 weeks old, and I've seen a few of them mating already... actually last week.

Different lines mature at different rates-somewhat. Most of my pullets start laying between 4 and 5 months. I have used serama roosters as young as three months and got fertile eggs,. However, DIS was quite high. When the roosters were over 5 months the hatch rate improved.

I got these cuties and two more a week ago. They have been on quarintine in my laundry room. The smallest one in this picture was mildly wheezy and her eye area was pale, kinda puffy, and tired looking. She also sleeps more than the others. I was trying natural things over the weekend but by Monday decided to go ahead and get some antibiotics (thankfully that is still an option for the time being). Her wheezing is completely gone but I intend to continue the antibiotics at least through Sunday. She still sleeps more than the others and her eyes still look tired - although less puffy. I am making sure all the new birds have lots of probiotics (They devour fermented veggies) and started treating just the little one with Vetrx. Is it possible that the sleepy eyes and demeanor are just "her" and unrelated to the respiratory problem? Also, after a sick bird appears well, how long before you let them out of quarintine? We have lots of chickens but this is my first time dealing with a respiratory issue.

I got these cuties and two more a week ago. They have been on quarintine in my laundry room. The smallest one in this picture was mildly wheezy and her eye area was pale, kinda puffy, and tired looking. She also sleeps more than the others. I was trying natural things over the weekend but by Monday decided to go ahead and get some antibiotics (thankfully that is still an option for the time being). Her wheezing is completely gone but I intend to continue the antibiotics at least through Sunday. She still sleeps more than the others and her eyes still look tired - although less puffy. I am making sure all the new birds have lots of probiotics (They devour fermented veggies) and started treating just the little one with Vetrx. Is it possible that the sleepy eyes and demeanor are just "her" and unrelated to the respiratory problem? Also, after a sick bird appears well, how long before you let them out of quarintine? We have lots of chickens but this is my first time dealing with a respiratory issue.

keep an eye on her and make sure she is eating, maybe make her special soft food, like eggs, yogurt, and stuff like that. With respiratory stuff I would not feed bread at all. She looks like she has decent coloring. Are these birds Dubed? They kind of look like it. Make SURE they are always in a clean pen, and have super fresh water. I would get some probiotic/electrolyte water. It might help with energy

Thank you for responding. Is dubbing when they remove the comb? If so then, no. They were previously housed outside with little peotection from the wind. The rooster got frostbite and lost his tips. They were a little rough when I got them. Long nails and such. I did mix some fresh homemade kifer in with their feed and she loved it. She seems a little more alert today as well. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom