Americana, Araucana, or Easter Egger???

Tiffany24

Songster
10 Years
Oct 6, 2012
Hi, I'm supposed to pick up two Pullets this weekend. The owner said they are Araucana's or Americana and they got them from a breeder. I want to be sure I'm not paying for Americana and them really be Easter Eggers. I don't mind buying Easter Eggers but not for this price. What do they look like to you? These are the pictures they sent me. Thanks in Advance.

They say Araucana but they have tails so I don't think so. I'm wondering possibly Ameraucana but Could be Easter Egger.

Araucanas in the US don't have tails so that's a dead give away it's not an Araucana. If the seller spelled the name as Americana then they are EEs. Some hatcheries sell their EEs under the name Americana (I think it's used on purpose to confuse buyers). The spelling for the breed that is accepted by the APA is Ameraucana.

Some things they say sound like they are Ameraucana. When looking at breed standards they look more like Ameraucana than Easter Egger. I've just never seen an Easter Egger or Ameraucana in person to know for sure. The pictures sent are bad quality.

How much are they asking for them?

I agree the pics aren't good quality. I'd ask for better pics. If you're going to drive any distance, or they're asking a decent price, they need to provide clear, quality pictures.

The body shape looks a little off to me. They look a bit heavy and fluffy for Ameraucana. I can't tell if they have the hallmark features--pea combs, beard/muffs and white/pink skin.

they also need to have come from pure blue eggs, not green. They don't look to be laying yet, if they are they need to be laying blue eggs. Green eggs are not an Ameraucana.

They haven't started laying yet. She said they should begin laying in March. She bought them at a week old planning to raise some but lost the Rooster and doesn't want to invest more into them.

They are charging me what they paid for them at a week old. They are asking for $15 each and they are fairly close to me. I will get new pictures but it might have to wait until this weekend. The seller works and it's dark by the time they get home. It's been cold and raining today when the pictures were taken so that could have played a role in the pictures. Here is a closer picture of her head.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom