• sprint

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Rec

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
Very true!

And honestly, he'll never be one :/ he's half black Lab and half Great Pyrenees so huge, though I don't think that really matters?, and also really lazy and sleeps most of the day (though personally I think some of that is he's just bored because he's always ready). But the real problem even if I could convince him mushing was fun is I think he has bad hips so probably couldn't pull :( I should have trained him a couple years ago, he's 4, 5 in March, now. He might have liked it but his hips gotten worse :/ but tbh, he would probably just stop running and go on strike eventually when he was done no matter how fit he got LOL

But I still would like to get him a good harness or two. I think it would be fun for walks and stuff. I think we have a couple harnesses but not for sledding or anything and idk they fit anymore. I haven't even been walking him lately, which isn't fair, so maybe I would more if I had a good harness or something aha

The hip thing could probably be treated with Vitamin E and maybe even K. Sounds like dysplasia.
One line of my dogs has a problem with the tendon that comes over the knee. My leader, Burner will be running along then starts throwing his left leg out to the side. The tendon slips back into the groove and he's fine fro another 50 or so miles. Actually sometimes it doesn't bother him at all for a week then "kick in" for a while again. It's a hereditary thing apparently.
As for Gator being a sled dog, lots of sled dogs ain't racers. Take for instance the Alaskan Malamute. They were bred to be freighters. 3 or 4 dogs hooked up singlefile to a large sled and throw in the whole family camp and people and walk for 70 miles. And yes I totally agree with the "walking" walking with him. That little bit of extra exercise will be good for both of you. Even for the relaxation part of it.

Yo Char
I can't get on your Facebook anymore. It always comes back as
" Sorry, this page isn't available

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed."

So i asked my wife to send you a friend request onn her Facebook.
Same surname as you.
Hey come to think of it you may be related to my oldest son. I adopted him.
Oh ya, I may have already said so eh.
So anyways, my wife sent a "Like" on your Facebook.

I did find a fundraiser link. Nice T-shirts. Like the logo and the color. The logo is similar to the one we were lookin at last year eh. And the color is my fave. Well close to it. My fave is AZURE.

Hey y'all!
Yesterday I finished the base paint scheme on the transport unit. :yaJust in time too. It started to :barnie rain
1f327.png
again :he early this morning. Got outa bed kinda like
1f633.png
1f624.png
1f631.png

I want to add some (Native style)
1f3f9.png
and (Cree syllabics). I'd like to se people's reaction/s//response/s.
1f914.png
1f62e.png
1f644.png
1f617.png
1f917.png
1f44c-1f3fc.png
1f633.png
1f610.png
1f60a.png
1f614.png
1f621.png
(just imagining some of the r//r's)
1f605.png
1f606.png

But,,,,,,guess I'm gonna hafta wait for next summer now. :(
1f641.png

Oh well. I'm still alive now. Turn my frown upside down.
Maybe I just clean out my shop/garage and take it in there.
Maybe I send some pix to show the what's already been done. ?..later on today. ...or sooner.
Either way, HAGD.

Last edited:
The hip thing could probably be treated with Vitamin E and maybe even K. Sounds like dysplasia.
One line of my dogs has a problem with the tendon that comes over the knee. My leader, Burner will be running along then starts throwing his left leg out to the side. The tendon slips back into the groove and he's fine fro another 50 or so miles. Actually sometimes it doesn't bother him at all for a week then "kick in" for a while again. It's a hereditary thing apparently.
As for Gator being a sled dog, lots of sled dogs ain't racers. Take for instance the Alaskan Malamute. They were bred to be freighters. 3 or 4 dogs hooked up singlefile to a large sled and throw in the whole family camp and people and walk for 70 miles. And yes I totally agree with the "walking" walking with him. That little bit of extra exercise will be good for both of you. Even for the relaxation part of it.

Thanks for all the help! Those are all good points and tbh I hadn't thought of the freight part of it or at least just hooking up for fun and learning the words, I guess ya just always think of mushing and urban mushing especially as running. I think he would go on strike and not run lol

I'll have to try that, do you just like buy human vitamins or?

And your dog is fine?

I'm not sure if Gator has a hip problem or leg injury or both. He injured his leg in 2014, not sure if it was a tendon/ligament or ACL or what, he got better after a long time but still occasionally has problems if he gets too much exercise he'll start limping. But maybe that's partially hip? Cause lately he is like my dad, stiff when he first gets up after laying down too long and limping then fine after he "warms up." Maybe the key is just more exercise or at least forcing him to get off the bed and walk around some and not let him sleep all day?

I actually happened to be looking at a German Shepherd breeder a week or two ago and found and read some article they had on their site. It said that vitamin C helps a lot? I was amazed, results are pretty impressive.

But who knows, seems everyone has their own cures for everything these days lol but seems promising. I think it was a certain kind or something.

Here it is:

http://workingdogs.com/doc0039.htm

Maybe I'll try all 3 aha

His nails are also wayyyy too long right now which might be contributing?

But yes, even if we don't get into sledding I will at least walk him more definitely

do any of you have clip suggestions. baxter keeps breaking his and i need to find one that is strong and will hold for a long time preferably a swivel one so that the chain wont get all twisted up.

Thanks for all the help! Those are all good points and tbh I hadn't thought of the freight part of it or at least just hooking up for fun and learning the words, I guess ya just always think of mushing and urban mushing especially as running. I think he would go on strike and not run lol

And your dog is fine?

I'm not sure if Gator has a hip problem or leg injury or both. He injured his leg in 2014, not sure if it was a tendon/ligament or ACL or what, he got better after a long time but still occasionally has problems if he gets too much exercise he'll start limping. But maybe that's partially hip? Cause lately he is like my dad, stiff when he first gets up after laying down too long and limping then fine after he "warms up." Maybe the key is just more exercise or at least forcing him to get off the bed and walk around some and not let him sleep all day?

I actually happened to be looking at a German Shepherd breeder a week or two ago and found and read some article they had on their site. It said that vitamin C helps a lot? I was amazed, results are pretty impressive.

But who knows, seems everyone has their own cures for everything these days lol but seems promising. I think it was a certain kind or something.

Here it is:

Maybe I'll try all 3 aha

But yes, even if we don't get into sledding I will at least walk him more definitely[/quote

You can buy toenail clippers for dogs . They're bout $5 to $7 for decent set. Fish is good for activity. It lines the joints. I would probably not be able to move very good if I didn't eat as much fish as I do.

do any of you have clip suggestions. baxter keeps breaking his and i need to find one that is strong and will hold for a long time preferably a swivel one so that the chain wont get all twisted up

I use bull snaps. They're pretty tuff. 1 lasts a bit better than a year for my dogs.
Where I live hey are about $8 each. I attach it to the chain with a mushers mosh important single piece of equipment, a quick-link.
Chains (cables too)without swivel snaps can be lethal.

And your dog is fine?

Here it is:

Maybe I'll try all 3 aha

But yes, even if we don't get into sledding I will at least walk him more definitely[/quote

You can buy toenail clippers for dogs . They're bout $5 to $7 for decent set. Fish is good for activity. It lines the joints. I would probably not be able to move very good if I didn't eat as much fish as I do.

We actually have a pair or two (though I need to find them) but he's just gotten a little aggressive about it so we haven't done it and now they're soo bad that we keep putting it off :/ need to just muzzle or take him to the vet and do it already haha he has never liked his feet touched but was making progress last year with positive reinforcement and patience/conditioning but then I resorted back to getting real angry when he would be bad so he would be more bad and i would get more angry and its escalated :(

But anyway, fish? Really? Had no idea. Sounds like we all need to eat fish more often! Haha like eating actual fish or fish oil pills or both or?

Back
Top Bottom