Votes: 8 53.3%
  • sprint

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Rec

• Other

• Total voters
Wait, so... MUSHING? Y'all have large teams of ADORABLE dogs that you race?????? :love
How do I get hooked up with this mushing stuff??

1f603.png
I think I have the largest yard of the regulars in this thread. I have 22. 18 Northern Spitz breed( predominantly Siberian Husky) & 4 rescues, 2 are racers(houndy looking with lotsa Sibe blood), 1 Sibe//Border Collie/Sibe and 1 Sibe/Golden Retriever. At one point in 1995 I had more than double that.
As for getting "hooked-up"(cool, coining a phrase used a lot by mushers)
1f62d.png
I'm already starting to feel sorry for you
1f606.png
(evilish chuckle). It is almost an OCD.
When I started serious mushing I was already 32. I had done it as a kid for fun and to help haul wood and fetch food(hunt[sic]). I used only 1 or 2 dogs back the .
I had listened to my grandfather tell me about his life as a musher.
If I were going to start from scratch again I would most likely look for a mentor. If not a mentor....lots and lots of Google. Read, read, read. It ain't the same as actual mushing but at least you will have "theory".
"Never let go."
Gee
1f631.png
1 time in Thompson I got the hook in the calf area(my leg).
1f625.png
1f605.png
Luckily it pierced only my pantleg and mukluk. I got dragged for 1/2 mile though.
1f61c.png
Showed a few bruises and an abrasion is all.
So......."Always know where the hook is."
Feel free to PM me

Yeah, my dad said the car axle was a bad idea. I had mentioned making one for Gator because our yard isn't fenced and he used to run off so he's on a long rope. We used to have a much longer one and ones in different parts of the yard tied to a tree or in a wall or whatever but he would get tangled in the woods and now he just had one tied to the deck and even that he would get tangled so we shortened it a lot. Anyway, we're kinda stupid though and put him out on his choke collar (though he slipped his regular collar) and the snap on this rope is pretty heavy. Gotta get a lighter snap, use a different collar, make a proper chain spot, or fence the yard in, even part of it, or something. I really like your idea. And yeah, exactly, it is so much room. And in the video they had broken down putting him outside versus in a crate, locked in one room, a 10x10 kennel or similar, etc. Etc. And it's more room, more humane, they get outside time instead of being locked inside even if they had the whole house, etc. Personally I don't understand how people can lock a dog up in a little teeny tiny crate for 8+ hours a day while they are at work and think that is humane.... and then wonder why the dog is crazy hyper or just plain crazy when let out... they should just train it to not destroy or soul the house or at the very least lock them in a room instead of a crate since not everyone can leave them tethered to a chain spot outside but at least a room would be better. Or if they must get crated, I'm of the opinion crates should be bigger than recommended.

I hate crates and the thought processes that somehow rationalize that it's "humane" I'd like to take them people and "crate" them for 7 hours.
My kids all have their own room so I'm thinking if I ever had a 'pet' it would have its own space in the house.
Collar..an adjustablesemi-choke circle collar is so handy. That is actually my favorite. One reason is because they are inexpensive, another is because they are long lasting and another reason is they're durable.

I hate crates and the thought processes that somehow rationalize that it's "humane" I'd like to take them people and "crate" them for 7 hours.
My kids all have their own room so I'm thinking if I ever had a 'pet' it would have its own space in the house.
Collar..an adjustablesemi-choke circle collar is so handy. That is actually my favorite. One reason is because they are inexpensive, another is because they are long lasting and another reason is they're durable.

Yeah, exactly!! And for instance, one of our neighbors/friends has a border collie and I remember he was saying one time that she was good but they didn't expect her to be so crazy or something like that. They said that she was crated while the wife was at work or something and how he had to go walk her or she was crazy when let out or whatever. I remember thinking but didn't say "WELL NO ****! It's a BORDER COLLIE!" Like those are NOT the type of dogs to be crated all day or even if they didn't crate it, they're also not the type of dog to just need a walk around the neighborhood... now our neighborhood is fairly big and they live across from a smallish pond to walk her around but still. Border Collies and I'm sure Sibes too need to RUN and/or have training and mental stimulation. I honestly feel bad for her. I also have a friend who's boyfriend has a border collie and they don't even walk him so at least theirs is better off than Cody. I think they live near a highway or something. And they just play fetch inside in the hall and alsp let it out to the fenced pool area and it just runs laps around the pool for hours..... they used to have a husky I think but it died. But like really? It's just depressing... now I admit we don't really exercise Gator either (though he wants to play A LOT lately so we do) but that's also because he doesn't need it. If I had a husky or border collie or anything like it I would absolutely exercise it. I'd probably try joring or maybe agility or hiking or SOMETHING. But I also would never get one, at least not right now, eventually I will, because I know I couldn't exercise it properly right now. And I think that's what most people should do, think about what is best for the dog before buying it. I hate how so many people just go buy a popular dog breed (and unfortunately those are really popular especially huskies right now) just because it's cute or they see it online and then not train or exercise it and then wonder why it off the walls or dump it.... it's sad really :( sorry, I got off on a huge tangent hahaha

I just hate crates. I used to think they were good but the more I see about them. Just no. Now, they do have some purposes like house training puppies or leaving the door open and letting the dog have a "den" to go to when it wants. But I don't think they were ever designed to be locked up the entire day.

Now I have a question, how do your rescues do out there?

Because personally if it was me I would probably feel sorry for the Sibe/BC or Sibe/Golden and bring it in the house as a pet
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
:lau

And I've heard some BCs get neurotic but maybe with exercise they don't? Is yours?

And people always say Goldens and Labs are family dogs/"must" be with family but I bet yours does fine out there and/or the pack is its family :)

I bet they're all adorable haha

So do you run them all the same or do some of them like shorter distances/slower speeds or something different?

Sorry for all the questions haha

OH! and i completely forgot to answer the collar part lol

Thanks for the tip, i will have to get one. I feel like semi choke is better cause he cant choke himself but cant slip out?

Is it like a martingale or is it a special sled dog collar? Cause I think I've seen it on sled dog sites but wasn't sure if it was the same or not

Ditto.
I prefer "Italian Bronze" but they are getting harder to acquire.
Depending on the dog(size, strength, experience and behaviour) I use 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and even the odd 3/4.

Wait, so... MUSHING? Y'all have large teams of ADORABLE dogs that you race??????
love.gif

How do I get hooked up with this mushing stuff??
Rez has the largest kennel of dogs I believe. I got started with a bike, my dog, a leash and this harness https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Paws-Adjustable-Pulling-Harness/dp/B0049PJPWG
Since my dog already knew basic obedience, I used the wait command to teach her to line out. The nice thing about a bike is you can easily help the dog pull. I began but taking her on short bike rides and encouraging her to get out ahead of me and pull (she often ran right next to me so when she ran ahead, I praised her heavily). When i came to teaching her gee and haw: I would turn the direction and say the direction command as I turn. She picked that up quickly.

I buy most of my lines and equipment from Alpine Outfitters, Coldspot, and Adanac Sleds. I got my sled from affordable Dogsleds. Most of the things I know now are from my absolutely wonderful mentor and my fellow mushers on this thread! If you can find a musher who is willing to take you under their wing, it will help you a ton. The reason I started this thread was to connect with other mushers and help out beginners
big_smile.png

Yeah, exactly!! And for instance, one of our neighbors/friends has a border collie and I remember he was saying one time that she was good but they didn't expect her to be so crazy or something like that. They said that she was crated while the wife was at work or something and how he had to go walk her or she was crazy when let out or whatever. I remember thinking but didn't say "WELL NO ****! It's a BORDER COLLIE!" Like those are NOT the type of dogs to be crated all day or even if they didn't crate it, they're also not the type of dog to just need a walk around the neighborhood... now our neighborhood is fairly big and they live across from a smallish pond to walk her around but still. Border Collies and I'm sure Sibes too need to RUN and/or have training and mental stimulation. I honestly feel bad for her. I also have a friend who's boyfriend has a border collie and they don't even walk him so at least theirs is better off than Cody. I think they live near a highway or something. And they just play fetch inside in the hall and alsp let it out to the fenced pool area and it just runs laps around the pool for hours..... they used to have a husky I think but it died. But like really? It's just depressing... now I admit we don't really exercise Gator either (though he wants to play A LOT lately so we do) but that's also because he doesn't need it. If I had a husky or border collie or anything like it I would absolutely exercise it. I'd probably try joring or maybe agility or hiking or SOMETHING. But I also would never get one, at least not right now, eventually I will, because I know I couldn't exercise it properly right now. And I think that's what most people should do, think about what is best for the dog before buying it. I hate how so many people just go buy a popular dog breed (and unfortunately those are really popular especially huskies right now) just because it's cute or they see it online and then not train or exercise it and then wonder why it off the walls or dump it.... it's sad really
sad.png
sorry, I got off on a huge tangent hahaha

I just hate crates. I used to think they were good but the more I see about them. Just no. Now, they do have some purposes like house training puppies or leaving the door open and letting the dog have a "den" to go to when it wants. But I don't think they were ever designed to be locked up the entire day.

Because personally if it was me I would probably feel sorry for the Sibe/BC or Sibe/Golden and bring it in the house as a pet
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
lau.gif

And I've heard some BCs get neurotic but maybe with exercise they don't? Is yours?

And people always say Goldens and Labs are family dogs/"must" be with family but I bet yours does fine out there and/or the pack is its family
smile.png

So do you run them all the same or do some of them like shorter distances/slower speeds or something different?

i dont like crates either, but leaving them in one for maybe three hours im not totally against as long as it is only once every couple weeks because you really do not have anyone or anywhere to put them. i went out wednesday to do a food shopping for thanksgiving and was out for only 3 hours no more no less. i put shakur in my room because i do not trust him alone yet with the other dogs and came back to my bedroom door torn at the bottom some english teaching books ripped up that he took from a book shelf and some clothes chewed. i usually leave him with my mother in law but she is in the hospital with my sister in law so i had no one to watch him.

the lab thing being only a family pet i dont agree with. i see people where i live with them outside 24/7.

i dont like crates either, but leaving them in one for maybe three hours im not totally against as long as it is only once every couple weeks because you really do not have anyone or anywhere to put them. i went out wednesday to do a food shopping for thanksgiving and was out for only 3 hours no more no less. i put shakur in my room because i do not trust him alone yet with the other dogs and came back to my bedroom door torn at the bottom some english teaching books ripped up that he took from a book shelf and some clothes chewed. i usually leave him with my mother in law but she is in the hospital with my sister in law so i had no one to watch him.

the lab thing being only a family pet i dont agree with. i see people where i live with them outside 24/7.

Yeah, I'm not opposed to crates in that situation either, I think a few hours is fine, not sure I made that clear. But I am opposed to people leaving them in there the entire day every single day.

And yeah, I don't really agree with it either, was just stating that some people say that, sorry if that wasn't clear either.

I've just seen like in the breed descriptions and online and stuff people say that they don't make good outside dogs because they like being with the family and would be miserable. Well I think as long as you spend time with them every day they are fine. Now, if they were raised inside and you all of a sudden just threw them out there they might be miserable, i think they have to be used to it.

But I also think that most dogs even ones they claim are fine outside are miserable if you ignore them. I mean, if you take them outside to say train, hunt, run, go hiking or car ride, or whatever, then it's really no different than them living inside and spending time with them, right?

Yeah, exactly!! And for instance, one of our neighbors/friends has a border collie and I remember he was saying one time that she was good but they didn't expect her to be so crazy or something like that. They said that she was crated while the wife was at work or something and how he had to go walk her or she was crazy when let out or whatever. I remember thinking but didn't say "WELL NO ****! It's a BORDER COLLIE!" Like those are NOT the type of dogs to be crated all day or even if they didn't crate it, they're also not the type of dog to just need a walk around the neighborhood... now our neighborhood is fairly big and they live across from a smallish pond to walk her around but still. Border Collies and I'm sure Sibes too need to RUN and/or have training and mental stimulation. I honestly feel bad for her. I also have a friend who's boyfriend has a border collie and they don't even walk him so at least theirs is better off than Cody. I think they live near a highway or something. And they just play fetch inside in the hall and alsp let it out to the fenced pool area and it just runs laps around the pool for hours..... they used to have a husky I think but it died. But like really? It's just depressing... now I admit we don't really exercise Gator either (though he wants to play A LOT lately so we do) but that's also because he doesn't need it. If I had a husky or border collie or anything like it I would absolutely exercise it. I'd probably try joring or maybe agility or hiking or SOMETHING. But I also would never get one, at least not right now, eventually I will, because I know I couldn't exercise it properly right now. And I think that's what most people should do, think about what is best for the dog before buying it. I hate how so many people just go buy a popular dog breed (and unfortunately those are really popular especially huskies right now) just because it's cute or they see it online and then not train or exercise it and then wonder why it off the walls or dump it.... it's sad really :( sorry, I got off on a huge tangent hahaha

1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
:lau

And people always say Goldens and Labs are family dogs/"must" be with family but I bet yours does fine out there and/or the pack is its family :)

I treat all my dogs the same regardless of breed, a percieved"family pet" breed or otherwise. If they are nuerotic so be it. Just like humans dog come in many colors, shapes, and "dog"alities. Most ad friendly for the most part. One try to get lazy, some are born hard workers. Some are kinda shy and som are outgoing as all get out. Some are submissive aggressive and some just plain aggressive. I get rid of the realy aggressive ones. Can't keep those one around when I have small children wanting to"visit the puppies".
Exercise is for all. Really old ones and injured ones are run together for shorter distances and at a slower pace........if they can. If not, I just leash walk.
Please
No need to apologize to me for asking questions.
1f62c.png
1f600.png
. My Nana told me,"If you don't ask you might know."

OH! and i completely forgot to answer the collar part lol

Thanks for the tip, i will have to get one. I feel like semi choke is better cause he cant choke himself but cant slip out?

Is it like a martingale or is it a special sled dog collar? Cause I think I've seen it on sled dog sites but wasn't sure if it was the same or not

Ya, sled dog collar. .... and yet again.... Ya,
1f60a.png
sled dog supply sites

Yeah, I'm not opposed to crates in that situation either, I think a few hours is fine, not sure I made that clear. But I am opposed to people leaving them in there the entire day every single day.

And yeah, I don't really agree with it either, was just stating that some people say that, sorry if that wasn't clear either.

I've just seen like in the breed descriptions and online and stuff people say that they don't make good outside dogs because they like being with the family and would be miserable. Well I think as long as you spend time with them every day they are fine. Now, if they were raised inside and you all of a sudden just threw them out there they might be miserable, i think they have to be used to it.

But I also think that most dogs even ones they claim are fine outside are miserable if you ignore them. I mean, if you take them outside to say train, hunt, run, go hiking or car ride, or whatever, then it's really no different than them living inside and spending time with them, right?[/quo

Excellent points. I actually disagree with any large outdoor breeds being kept indoors. It's not respectful. It's like taking. Plat bear to live with polar bears just because we have the ability to transport him/her there( to Africa). :lau
It's ludicrous. However thats the attitude that puts BCs in crates and longhaired Malamutes on couches in cities. We humans are not known for our humility and intraspecies respect. Gee we can't even have that for intraracial relations a great deal of the times.
1f914.png
1f644.png
is that even real words?????
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom