Votes: 8 53.3%
  • sprint

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Rec

• Other

• Total voters

We have about eight inches!!!! I took the dogs out for a three mile run this morning and they did quiet well, although they had to 'plow' a trail for themselves. We are getting out of school soon and I want to be able to get them out at least every other day. 

Yes, that helped a lot! This week I'm going to fence off an area and set up the system for the dogs. 

This is the 3rd time I'm tryna answer you. Dono what's wrong. And I see the pic(#2601) comes up before quote#2600. ??????:D
That said it sure is nice to see that pic. I see you run 1 wheel and 2 lead. Doesn't that make you sled run kinda off to 1 side? That's what happens to my sled. Maybe just because I have such a short line and tugs. Bush team:D.
Oooooo...I bet your pups were in 7th heaven eh.
I've been out just a few times. My dogs love the cold weather and the snow. AGAIN I wasted energy and money buying straw and building doghouses to provide a dry warm place of them to sleep. They all sleep in the darn snow or on top their house. Well..... except for the Racers. Anyways...I haven't much energy as of late. Still get them darn headaches and woozy. And there I was all excited about the snow and cold. Oh well.....either I die or I get better. Either way I win. :lau
:old old man humor is kinda "blunt force". .....apparently.

How big is your common area gonna be? I'd love pix.
Mine was about 250...ish by 250....ish.....or so. 87 paces by 87 paces. I took it down too though. I was gonna move my entire yard.

I gotta say, when I hear(see) that my input has been useful I feel good. Kinda humble, but proud and happy too. Glad to be of assistance my girl.
Keep on mushing. :):)

wee.gif
! We got snow! Bout 5-6inches. It's really sticky because it's warm out. Like -2*C or maybe like +28*F.
According to the health meter on this phone I put on over 17 kms. I don't know what that is in miles. 10 maybe. I did only 4 with the dogs. They were getting too hot. The rest of the distance is just me busy about the yard.
Thought y'all might enjoy some pix.
Gona try now.

All I see is a bunch of numbers, letters and other symbols so I'm gona press"Submit"and see what happens.
im a little late to this post, but your dogs are pretty looking. what size links are on the chains? in the pictures look kind of large but im not sure if it is just the pictures making them look big or not. i think i should get a chain with links like that for baxter. they probably dont break from rust as fast i bet. baxter has a 20ft chain but i got the second biggest chain links they offered because im scared the other one would be to heavy. how heavy of a chain do you think is to heavy on their necks?

OK it looks like it worked. First is misimokoman(big knife(what we call Americaners because of their swords)), then masinasiw(partly marked(pinto)), followed by naheyikok(in a timely fashion(just in the nick of time)). Then the boys, sipikasiw( he is blue), nikanastim(the foremost doc) and ayimisiw(stern in manner). Then Max(dad) and Pipoon(winter(mom)).
Then there's the sled I made to help me haul whatever, and the wood burning cook stove I use to cook for my dogs. Right there is 2 pots of meat scraps to add flavour to the 50 lbs of other (raw) meat and fat I got off a road killed deer and what ever was left of the elk we harvested for our family dinner table. I added 4 cups each of white rice and wheat and a cup each of rolled corn and barley. After everything cooked really good it also smelled really good. It reminded me of the smell in my Nana's kitchen. If I hadnt just finished a huge plate of ribs with potatoes, carrots and peas I might've joined my dogs with their supper. So...anyways...I mixed up everything with 5 gallons of kibble into a big tub and "voila" , a feast for my dogs. Then I watered them all. Aw, they were so happy they sang for about 10 mins. I joined in. Felt good.
Apparently our weather is supposed to get down to -10*C by Tuesday and progressively colder right through to next week right down to -25*C.
That's good. I hope it does, because I went for a walk across an opening today and broke through the still very thin ice into over 1/2 ft of water. So maybe with the upcoming cold I be able to hit my trails.
How's the weather where you are Blue?
How about your weather Char?
Rose?
Everyone else???
TTFN
i wish i could pronounce those names i bet they sound cool.
is corn okay for dogs or no? whenever i look stuff up on the internet they mostly say to stay away from corn.

im a little late to this post, but your dogs are pretty looking. what size links are on the chains? in the pictures look kind of large but im not sure if it is just the pictures making them look big or not. i think i should get a chain with links like that for baxter. they probably dont break from rust as fast i bet. baxter has a 20ft chain but i got the second biggest chain links they offered because im scared the other one would be to heavy. how heavy of a chain do you think is to heavy on their necks?

Better late than never. Nice to hear from you.
I do know that most of my dogs are lookers and on behalf on my dogs I graciously accept your compliment. I will pass those good feelings on to them. I hope you accept my reciprocating those feelings to you. And Baxter of course.
You can check back in the thread to see my responce to Blue's same question about the size of links.
My dogs are sled dogs, some are rather big sled dogs, so a heavier chain ain't gona hurt them. Actually might even be benificial since they gota pull a sled anyways. That said 1/4" is probably OK for most. Just gota keep an eye on them. I've had some 1/4 chains for 5yrs or more and my dogs aren't lazy, especially in winter.

is corn okay for dogs or no? whenever i look stuff up on the internet they mostly say to stay away from corn.

[/quote]

I could try to spell and accentuate but without hearing how it's said leaves a lot to be desired. Also there is a lot of words that kinda sound the same but would change the meaning......sometimes quite drastically. You could actually say something insulting or downright mean if you mispronounce.
"corn". Bad for dogs. If the hull was removed and you made flour out of it and used to thicken a stew kinda stuff or made bread like stuff from that it would t be as bad for a doc. But...the way they grind it to use in commercial dog food is, to say the least, not great for dogs. It's sharp and actually cuts the guts for one thing. Bad. It is not digestible by dogs digestive tracts or the very least very little of it is digested. Bad. It's really quite high in phytates causing a whole host of dietary problems from skin and hair problems to internal organ problems. Bad.
Ya. Corn is definitely not made for consumption by carnivores. Even omnivores should eat little of it. Especially the GMO corn. Bad. Short term and long term. Bad bad bad bad. There is a way for us humans to use nonGMO corn that won't be as bad for us. The old "Indian" way of preparing it. And it wouldn't be "as bad" for K9's but still not carnivore food.
If you are seriously serous about a proper diet for your dog, fish is probably the easiest. Whole fresh frozen solid for at least 24 hours. Just make sure to cut off all the "stabby parts". They could actually puncture your dogs stomach and/or gut/s mYbe killing him or her. Caution...cooked fish bones are 'BAD'. Unless they're like canned salmon kinda cooked. Frozen. Balanced diet right there. Or whole rabbit. Raw. Again frozen solid for at least 24 hours. It kill parasites and eggs(worms).

Don't get me wrong. I do feed my dogs corn sometimes. And yes cheap commercial dog food sometimes. It's better than starving to death. But O prefer and work very hard to provide them with a carnivore's diet as much as possible.
My dogs are insanely healthy. To the point where I have an 11 yr old intact male ( so old he's going deaf) that still pups with dogs half his age. Mind you, I take him only on shorter trips now. But he still pulls his weight when I haul firewood. Feeding dogs can be turned into a scientific study but the way I figure Mother Nature already has it figured out. Why work for nothing re-figuring something to death when Creator has done it already. :lol:
;)
Oh my, I hadn't initially intended for this to turn into lecture hall material. But I do hope it is helpful. Please feel free to share any pertinent info with anyone that may need/appreciate it. HaveAGreatDay sisip(seeseep[Duck])

I could try to spell and accentuate but without hearing how it's said leaves a lot to be desired. Also there is a lot of words that kinda sound the same but would change the meaning......sometimes quite drastically. You could actually say something insulting or downright mean if you mispronounce.
"corn". Bad for dogs. If the hull was removed and you made flour out of it and used to thicken a stew kinda stuff or made bread like stuff from that it would t be as bad for a doc. But...the way they grind it to use in commercial dog food is, to say the least, not great for dogs. It's sharp and actually cuts the guts for one thing. Bad. It is not digestible by dogs digestive tracts or the very least very little of it is digested. Bad. It's really quite high in phytates causing a whole host of dietary problems from skin and hair problems to internal organ problems. Bad.
Ya. Corn is definitely not made for consumption by carnivores. Even omnivores should eat little of it. Especially the GMO corn. Bad. Short term and long term. Bad bad bad bad. There is a way for us humans to use nonGMO corn that won't be as bad for us. The old "Indian" way of preparing it. And it wouldn't be "as bad" for K9's but still not carnivore food.
If you are seriously serous about a proper diet for your dog, fish is probably the easiest. Whole fresh frozen solid for at least 24 hours. Just make sure to cut off all the "stabby parts". They could actually puncture your dogs stomach and/or gut/s mYbe killing him or her. Caution...cooked fish bones are 'BAD'. Unless they're like canned salmon kinda cooked. Frozen. Balanced diet right there. Or whole rabbit. Raw. Again frozen solid for at least 24 hours. It kill parasites and eggs(worms).

Don't get me wrong. I do feed my dogs corn sometimes. And yes cheap commercial dog food sometimes. It's better than starving to death. But O prefer and work very hard to provide them with a carnivore's diet as much as possible.
My dogs are insanely healthy. To the point where I have an 11 yr old intact male ( so old he's going deaf) that still pups with dogs half his age. Mind you, I take him only on shorter trips now. But he still pulls his weight when I haul firewood. Feeding dogs can be turned into a scientific study but the way I figure Mother Nature already has it figured out. Why work for nothing re-figuring something to death when Creator has done it already.
lol.png
wink.png

Oh my, I hadn't initially intended for this to turn into lecture hall material. But I do hope it is helpful. Please feel free to share any pertinent info with anyone that may need/appreciate it. HaveAGreatDay sisip(seeseep[Duck])[/QUOTE]

no dont worry wasnt a lecture. very informative. i was just seeing if you knew something that i didnt about corn. like if it was really not as bad as they say or if you can feed it to them even though they say not to. i just wanted to know if there was something there.

yep i know feeding them that stuff is better than starving. right now i unfortunately feed mine dry food from the store but soon meaning next month (wish it was now) will be trying to prepare their food myself. i will probably have to feed them some dry food from the store every now and then when i run low but like you said it is better than starving. i have been reading and reading on everything that i should try to put in their food for a couple months now. i know itll be good for one of my dogs because she is old i think around 13 and she is having skin problems along with joint problems and i think it might be best to prepare the food instead.

This is the 3rd time I'm tryna answer you. Dono what's wrong. And I see the pic(#2601) comes up before quote#2600. ??????
big_smile.png

That said it sure is nice to see that pic. I see you run 1 wheel and 2 lead. Doesn't that make you sled run kinda off to 1 side? That's what happens to my sled. Maybe just because I have such a short line and tugs. Bush team:D.
Oooooo...I bet your pups were in 7th heaven eh.
I've been out just a few times. My dogs love the cold weather and the snow. AGAIN I wasted energy and money buying straw and building doghouses to provide a dry warm place of them to sleep. They all sleep in the darn snow or on top their house. Well..... except for the Racers. Anyways...I haven't much energy as of late. Still get them darn headaches and woozy. And there I was all excited about the snow and cold. Oh well.....either I die or I get better. Either way I win.
lau.gif

old.gif
old man humor is kinda "blunt force". .....apparently.

How big is your common area gonna be? I'd love pix.
Mine was about 250...ish by 250....ish.....or so. 87 paces by 87 paces. I took it down too though. I was gonna move my entire yard.

I gotta say, when I hear(see) that my input has been useful I feel good. Kinda humble, but proud and happy too. Glad to be of assistance my girl.
Keep on mushing.
smile.png
smile.png
I haven't had any problems with the sled running off to a side. Arrow, my wheel dog, tends to constantly switch the side she runs on so that might be when it doesn't go to one side. I took this before I switched the team a bit. (I put her in lead with my lab.) When I don't have anything but extra lines and a snow hook in the bag, I prefer having one in wheel. Plus, with her still figuring how to run, I feel like I can see how she is doing easier. I typically sit on my heels ten minutes into the run when the dogs have set their pace. I don't know why I do. Might be a habit I picked up from the Sprint mushers.

My dad and I are going to finalize the area this week hopefully. We have some trees that need to be cleared. He is building a shop and so i have to work around that. (My area is close to where is he building.) My parents seem pretty okay with me taking as much area as I need. My plan is to fence off the whole area with cattle wire (Our neighbors dog comes over to play with my labs some times and I don't want him getting in with my working dogs. I don't think he is fixed.) and then set up spots for the dogs. I would like them to have at least a ten foot chain. I know a lot of mushers have their dogs on 4-6ft chains, but I feel like that is just too small a space for them. Especially the larger dogs. Plus I don't want a kennel with more than eight dogs at the most. Most races I want to do require 4-6 dogs anyway. That gives me two dogs to have on back up. Plus, next year I want to buy another sled. My friend really wants to go mushing but her parents don't allow large dogs. I figure it will only take four dogs per person.

no dont worry wasnt a lecture. very informative. i was just seeing if you knew something that i didnt about corn. like if it was really not as bad as they say or if you can feed it to them even though they say not to. i just wanted to know if there was something there.

yep i know feeding them that stuff is better than starving. right now i unfortunately feed mine dry food from the store but soon meaning next month (wish it was now) will be trying to prepare their food myself. i will probably have to feed them some dry food from the store every now and then when i run low but like you said it is better than starving. i have been reading and reading on everything that i should try to put in their food for a couple months now. i know itll be good for one of my dogs because she is old i think around 13 and she is having skin problems along with joint problems and i think it might be best to prepare the food instead.

Reading is good.
For the doc with skin problems try naturally sourced zinc supplements. Make a salve with honey, red clover flowers(dried and crushed really fine) and some preferably bear grease rendered by boiling as opposed to fry or roast style. 1tblsp of honey, 1/2 c clover, 1/4 c bear grease. I dislike petroleum jelly(Vaseline).
Actually you know what would probably oh work too is bag balm or udder butter. We used that stuff on ourselves too. Our hands, feet, dry skin pretty much anywhere. Never liked the idea of using on my lips though so never did.
Joints..... fish. Or fish oil might be easier to get eh. Cod liver oil capsules maybe
But I know fish works well on me and my dogs seem to limber up when they're being fed fish. Pork ain't so great. Cause more joint pain... and apparently gout too.

Back
Top Bottom