Amoxicillin question

Aug 30, 2023
I purchased a bag of Amoxicillin 10% powder. The directions are 1 tsp per gallon of water. I am wondering how much the dose would be for a 4lb hen I would give via needle less syringe. I tried doing the math but am not making headway and was wondering if someone has the math figured out already. It's for my hen with reproductive issues. She sees a vet and he does give her prescriptions but one it's just antibiotics and very expensive and secondly I'm not sure how much longer he will keep doing it. Her quality of life is still good and she stays with her sisters but lays shellless eggs then infection sets in cycle. Thank you for your knowledge and answers! Much appreciated!

The dosage is 57 mg per lb., 2X per day for amoxicillin in pill form.

Does it say how much amoxi is in it?

Otherwise, that would be such a minuscule amount to put with water for a syringe. There are 3785 ml in a gallon. You'll need to know how many ml is your syringe to do the math. You need to do this twice a day for about a week to 10 days, so maybe make up a 1/2 cup (118 ml) or so of it so you'd have a couple of days' worth.

The dosage is 57 mg per lb., 2X per day for amoxicillin in pill form.

Does it say how much amoxi is in it?

Otherwise, that would be such a minuscule amount to put with water for a syringe. There are 3785 ml in a gallon. You'll need to know how many ml is your syringe to do the math. You need to do this twice a day for about a week to 10 days, so maybe make up a 1/2 cup (118 ml) or so of it so you'd have a couple of days' worth.
It says it's 10g Amoxicillin per 100g. My syringe is the small ones that go to .09 ml . I was going to mix up a half cup and keep it in the fridge when I need it. Just not quite sure how much powder to use.

Okay, since you're going to make 1/2 cup:

Your gallon (3785 ml) mixed up makes 32 1/2 cups (118 ml) so you'd need to divide the teaspoon by 32.

If you have like a postage scale you could weigh it, but otherwise, I'm not sure how to do that. I'm going to solicit some help.

Last edited:
I purchased a bag of Amoxicillin 10% powder. The directions are 1 tsp per gallon of water. I am wondering how much the dose would be for a 4lb hen I would give via needle less syringe. I tried doing the math but am not making headway and was wondering if someone has the math figured out already. It's for my hen with reproductive issues. She sees a vet and he does give her prescriptions but one it's just antibiotics and very expensive and secondly I'm not sure how much longer he will keep doing it. Her quality of life is still good and she stays with her sisters but lays shellless eggs then infection sets in cycle. Thank you for your knowledge and answers! Much appreciated!
There should be a more accurate dosage such as 10mg/mg or something like that. The 10% is not useful with out what it is 10% of.

If you can find out that information then we can figure out a dosage for you.

Also you may wish to start your lady on 1/2 a low dose (81mg) aspirin daily. I have been giving my elderly hen who also had reproductive issues 1/2 a tablet nightly - it has also helped with her arthritis.

The aspirin also will help with any inflammatory response with regards to her infection from retained eggs etc.

I also have a couple of pullets who have egg issues with soft eggs, brittle shell., so they are getting 1/4 calcium tablet every other night.

Ok - Sure hope she is feeling better soon.

I purchased a bag of Amoxicillin 10% powder. The directions are 1 tsp per gallon of water.

I was going to mix up a half cup and keep it in the fridge when I need it. Just not quite sure how much powder to use.

I would see what your smallest measuring spoon is, and try mixing an amount that uses that.

1 gallon uses 1 teaspoon
1/2 gallon uses 1/2 teaspoon
1/4 gallon = 1 quart, uses 1/4 teaspoon
1/8 gallon = 1 pint = 2 cups, uses 1/8 teaspoon
1/16 gallon = 1 cup, uses 1/16 teaspoon

In most sets of measuring spoons I have seen, the smallest are 1/4 teaspoon or occasionally 1/8 teaspoon.

If you are comfortable eyeballing half of a measuring spoon, you could use half of whatever your smallest one is.

That still does not get you down to 1/2 cup of water, but is much less than a gallon, and can use things you probably already have in your kitchen.

It says it's 10g Amoxicillin per 100g.
I'm not quite sure which thing is being measured here.

Is that the amount of Amoxicillin in 100g of mixed solution?
Or the amount of Amoxicillin in 100g of powder in the bag?
O the amount you are supposed to give per 100g of hen?

Regardless of how it is being measured, if you are planning to give the Amoxicillin to the hen by syringe, the real point is to get the right amount of powder into her, with whatever amount of water is appropriate.

So it might make sense to figure out how much powder is right for the hen for each dose, then decide what is a good amount to mix up from there.

Some "mix with water" powders are meant to be in all the water the animal will drink, others are meant to go in just enough water that you can measure it and get the animal to swallow that much. I don't know which version you have.

Amoxicillin is usually given orally directly into the beak instead of mixing it with water. Most people use a 250 mg capsule, but there is a shortage of amoxicillin. Dosage by vets has been quoted in many threads here as 57 mg per pound, or 125-250mg orally twice a day for 7-10 days. Using this powder added to water would be hard for most of us to figure out. You also would not know how much the chicken was taking, and you would have to keep the others from drinking it. But if you can, I would mix it in a tiny amount of food, such as egg, cream cheese, canned cat food or other, and give it twice a day.

There should be a more accurate dosage such as 10mg/mg or something like that. The 10% is not useful with out what it is 10% of.

If you can find out that information then we can figure out a dosage for you.

Also you may wish to start your lady on 1/2 a low dose (81mg) aspirin daily. I have been giving my elderly hen who also had reproductive issues 1/2 a tablet nightly - it has also helped with her arthritis.

The aspirin also will help with any inflammatory response with regards to her infection from retained eggs etc.

I also have a couple of pullets who have egg issues with soft eggs, brittle shell., so they are getting 1/4 calcium tablet every other night.

Ok - Sure hope she is feeling better soon.
PXL_20240517_134300390.jpg

Here is what I got from Jedds. I appreciate everyone's replies! I'm grateful. Her vet has her on a sulpha antibiotic and it's going to run out soon. He also gives her liquid calcium but since she hasn't laid a real egg in months. She laid shell less eggs and lash eggs repeatedly now just lays yellow goo which is either infection or yolk. Or both. I'm not sure why she needs liquid calcium at this point since it hasn't worked and I'm wondering about her kidneys with the calcium. Once she starts on antibiotics she is always her normal happy self and is the sweetest hen you could want. As long as her quality of life stays good I'm prepared to continue giving her meds as needed. Tha ks again for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom