An Entire Frog-Really? Pullet downed a big frog!

Apr 20, 2023
Coastal NC
Gross right? We'll I received word from my wife and daughter that 1 of our 12 week old Bielefelder Pullets beat and swallowed whole a large size frog that hopped into the wrong area at the wrong time. This did not seem to bother her at all, all other girls were jealous of course haha.

What is the largest insect, bug, amphibian or other edible delicacy have you witnessed your chicken swallow whole!

Chickens: Full of surprises! :pop

In the flock I grew up with, I saw grown mice and (I'm pretty sure) baby snakes used as snacks.
I've seen at least 2 baby snakes shared by our first flock of 16, our 2nd flock were on the giving end of a large snake that happened to be under my push mower at the time, those segments went everywhere in the run, they had a blast!

My current flock won't eat anything bigger than a mouse, they freak out when they see a toad. :idunno But in the past my chickens would gobble up anything that crossed their path. Mice, snakes, toads. With one particular flock, I was too nervous to let my tiny chihuahua puppy outside if the chickens were loose in the yard. I waited for her to get much bigger before I trusted them not to see her as a potential snack. 😬

PHOTOS OF THE ACCUSED CULPRIT:
Deb AKA "The Croaker Choker"
12 week old
3.3 lbs
Deb 1.jpg
Deb 2.jpg

Mine regularly eat cane toads. I've seen the gobble up toadlets by the dozen. The largest ive seen eaten had the body twice the size of a big mouse. It pecked and shook and flayed it with its feet for 20 minutes until it was tenderised and flattened and mangled enough to get it down it's neck. Was quite the feat.
That must have been quite the scene for sure! Its amazing to see what these little dinosaurs can take down.
We had a mole once that popped it's little head into the run, they had it killed, filleted and eaten within minutes, mole didn't have a chance.

That must have been quite the scene for sure! Its amazing to see what these little dinosaurs can take down.
We had a mole once that popped it's little head into the run, they had it killed, filleted and eaten within minutes, mole didn't have a chance.
I have mole in the run. Mine just stare at it. :(

Back
Top Bottom