An extremely unusual set of circumstances that can kill baby turkeys

DarJones

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
I had 10 turkey poults a week old in a container with a heat bulb, feeder, and waterer. The water ran out and they were dry for about 24 hours. I put in a quart of cold water and by cold, I'm talking about 50F or thereabouts. The turkeys promptly drank as much as they could and then 3 of them fell over dead with 2 more acting moribund. The heat bulb was NOT directly on the poults as I've had problems with them overheating in the past. It was on the sidewall of the container so that the poults could gather at that side to warm up. This is just to forewarn others that turkey poults can drink so much water that they die from getting cold! If I had it to do over again, I would give them warm water at about 80 degrees to avoid the problem.

I had 10 turkey poults a week old in a container with a heat bulb, feeder, and waterer. The water ran out and they were dry for about 24 hours. I put in a quart of cold water and by cold, I'm talking about 50F or thereabouts. The turkeys promptly drank as much as they could and then 3 of them fell over dead with 2 more acting moribund. The heat bulb was NOT directly on the poults as I've had problems with them overheating in the past. It was on the sidewall of the container so that the poults could gather at that side to warm up. This is just to forewarn others that turkey poults can drink so much water that they die from getting cold! If I had it to do over again, I would give them warm water at about 80 degrees to avoid the problem.
If you had it to do over again the thing to do was not let them run out of water.

Sorry for your loss. :hugs This can happen with ducklings and any type of baby fowl, too. When they run out of water, I've found the best way to keep this from happening is to give them water that's about 102 degrees f.

If you had it to do over again the thing to do was not let them run out of water.
I agree, but the best laid plans of mice and men go oft agley. In this case, I was unexpectedly out of town overnight. I have raised chickens for at least 30 years and never had a problem like this. Turkeys are a bit special.

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting this!

In addition to heating the water restrict how much they drink at first. Just a little then take it away for a bit, I can't remember how long, maybe 10-20 minutes. Then a bit more water. This gradual increase is recommended for all animals including humans :)

I lost ducklings that were stuck in the mail by giving them immediate free access to water. I hate learning / relearning the hard way.

How sad, but the information is something I will always remember. Thank you for sharing. Mine run out of water by the morning and they act hyper thirsty when I give them fresh water. I'm going to make sure it's warm water from here on out. I just bought a 5 gallon water station yesterday so that should help things out alot.

Aspriation due to an overfilled crop. They drink so much the water comes back up and they strangle to death on it. They will fall over begin to convulse and die. If birds run out of water give them water for a short period then remove it, lather, rinse, repeat until they are rehydrated.

Bo

Back
Top Bottom