Ana White Small Modern Coop Build

Apr 10, 2023
Gloucester, MA
After realizing that getting a $500 coop from Wayfair might not be the best for my small flock, I spent that on lumber and built Ana White’s Small Modern Chicken Coop. I doubled the width so that my 4 chickens would have plenty of space and used hardware cloth that was extended into a skirt that I buried for extra predator protection. I also built an external nesting box with two bays. I stained it with Varathane Carbon Gray and used cedar shingles for the roof of the nesting box and for the sides to match our house. It was a fun build, easy, and probably could’ve done it in a few days if I didn’t have shoulder issues. I want to add a window on the front wall of their coop with maybe some plexiglass and probably lower the roost on the left. Their first couple nights, I put them on the roost manually, then built the ladder roost. Now, they prefer the ladder roost, but they might be encouraged to use the other one if I lower it.

Here’s a link to a quick TikTok of my build: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8kQpuc4/

And a link to my nesting box build on YouTube (that I built from The Garden Coop):

We live in coastal Massachusetts and I want to start thinking about ways to make sure my buddies are happy during to winter! I’m open to any and all suggestions! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7074.jpeg
    IMG_7074.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_7076.jpeg
    IMG_7076.jpeg
    648.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7075.jpeg
    IMG_7075.jpeg
    905.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
After realizing that getting a $500 coop from Wayfair might not be the best for my small flock, I spent that on lumber and built Ana White’s Small Modern Chicken Coop. I doubled the width so that my 4 chickens would have plenty of space and used hardware cloth that was extended into a skirt that I buried for extra predator protection. I also built an external nesting box with two bays. I stained it with Varathane Carbon Gray and used cedar shingle for the roof of the nesting box and for the sides to match our house. It was a fun build, easy, and probably could’ve done it in a few days if I didn’t have shoulder issues. I wanted to add a window on the front wall of their cool with maybe some plexiglass and probably lower the roost on the left. Their first couple nights, I put them on the roost manually, then built the ladder roost. Now, they prefer the ladder roost, but they might be encouraged to use the other one if I lower it.

Here’s a link to a quick TikTok of my build: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8kQpuc4/

And a link to my nesting box build on YouTube (that I built from The Garden Coop):

We live in coastal Massachusetts and I td to start thinking about ways to make sure my buddies are happy during to winter! I’m open to any and all suggestions! Thanks!
That's awesome! It's a super cute coop and seems to be built quite well.

Tips:
  • Close any and all gaps that aren't supposed to be there
  • NO HEAT LAMPS they are not very good and most can burn/injure your chickens!
  • Coop warmer that can keep the coop warm at a certain temp.
That's all for now!

Where is the ventilation?
How tall is it inside the coop? Can they roost? The ladder looks extremely steep, and the cross brace looks too close to the ceiling for them to get up there or be comfortable if they can.

I would get ventilation in there so they aren't trapped in a damp box during cold weather as this is the perfect recipe for frostbite. Add some clear plastic sheeting to the walls of the run keeping the top 6 or so inches open for ventilation out there.

Can you add on to the run for more space? It's pretty tight. They should have at least 60 sq ft of space for the 4 birds to be comfortable for the long winter ahead.

Where is the ventilation?
How tall is it inside the coop? Can they roost? The ladder looks extremely steep, and the cross brace looks too close to the ceiling for them to get up there or be comfortable if they can.

I would get ventilation in there so they aren't trapped in a damp box during cold weather as this is the perfect recipe for frostbite. Add some clear plastic sheeting to the walls of the run keeping the top 6 or so inches open for ventilation out there.

Can you add on to the run for more space? It's pretty tight. They should have at least 60 sq ft of space for the 4 birds to be comfortable for the long winter ahead.
Thank you for all of this advice. I’ll put plastic up in the run in the next couple weeks.

The roof has grooves across it and it’s not sealed on the edges. The coop is about 4 feet high sloping to 3 and a half feet or so. That first pic was taken before the chicken moved in. I’ve since leaned the ladder so it’s less steep. The cross brace definitely needs to be lowered. Might be a job for me tomorrow.

I can try to figure out a way to get them more run space as well. Thanks again!

Since the other end is covered by the run roof, I would consider cutting out something like I highlighted blue and replacing with 1/2" hardware cloth for 24x7x365 ventilation. I would also consider removing the roost ladder and just go with a straight bar in the back, shown in orange. Keep it where you can reach it, low enough that they have some space above their heads. You may want t on some sort of brackets to make it easily removable for cleaning or what not.

IMG_7076_edit.jpg

I can't tell from the pictures, is that 1/4" hardware cloth? If so, that's a fairly light wire compared to what is used for 1/2". You may want to double up some something stronger like a welded wire fencing with it to keep out stronger predators.

Since the other end is covered by the run roof, I would consider cutting out something like I highlighted blue and replacing with 1/2" hardware cloth for 24x7x365 ventilation. I would also consider removing the roost ladder and just go with a straight bar in the back, shown in orange. Keep it where you can reach it, low enough that they have some space above their heads. You may want t on some sort of brackets to make it easily removable for cleaning or what not.

View attachment 3667403

I can't tell from the pictures, is that 1/4" hardware cloth? If so, that's a fairly light wire compared to what is used for 1/2". You may want to double up some something stronger like a welded wire fencing with it to keep out stronger predators.
Thanks! I can work on these changes! And it’s 1/2” galvanized steel hardware cloth.

From the coop floor or from the ground?

The cross bars look sharp and narrow....should be at least 1.5" and have edges rounded.
I’ll have to measure the actual clearance, but I think it’s 2 feet from the ground to the bottom floor of the coop.

And the roost is 1-by. I think have a 2x3 (off the shelf and sanded, so it has rounded edges) that I can swap it out with. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom