Coop on hold, maybe a small tractor

puddleglumWI

Chirping
Feb 3, 2023
Eastern WI - almost to the Lake
My barn coop build is on hold, as the owners of the barn (my folks) are getting it re-sided this year, so building a run onto the outside is not going to be feasible until after that is done.

I am tempted to build a small tractor, about 5'x8', for 4 hens. I can move then around the barnyard, give them fresh grass, and spread their poop evenly summer through fall and then move them into the barn coop which I can have built before winter. There is a farm about an hour from me selling Cream Legbar pullets and Olive Egger pullets (B.C. Marans x C. Legbar)

Would I be best off sticking to one variety or would two of each get along?

What's your predator load where you are? I'm not sure how safe a tractor would be for them. For the size you'll need to move twice a day every day or they will destroy your lawn.

I am thinking of building a folding apron around the base to prevent anything from being able to dig its way in, and I probably would put an auto door on the coop section of the tractor, so even if a weasel or rat manages to dig its way in, it won't have access to the hens at night.

Interesting that you think 10 square feet per hen will need to be moved twice a day. I work from home, so it is certainly doable. I guess I can see how bad it gets.

Back
Top Bottom