Coop setup advice! Help a first timer šŸ˜…

Lunes

Chirping
Feb 25, 2023
Hello! I know, I know, everyone says not to buy the crappy little cheap coops online or at tractor supply and listen I totally agree with yā€™all, I wish I had the knowledge to build a big boy coop and I honestly might now that Iā€™m learning so much from peoples post on here, but I tried to make do with what I could manage- and I only intended on having 3 silkies max, so I figured that was an acceptable amount for a smaller coop. I actually only have 2 silkies now because one chick died today so i think this coop will be okay for now. Def gonna upgrade it in the future though!

So, I built my coop already and here are some things I did to make it less crappy šŸ˜†

Paint:

ā€¢ used top of the line oil based exterior house paint out the outside, with a really good kilz primer before hand. I researched a lot before I selected my paint and tried to use what most ppl suggested or used in their builds!
ā€¢I used Eco-paint on the interior since itā€™s like, that cheap softer wood material. Hoping itā€™ll make it more durable. (I highly recommend eco paint if youā€™re intending on painting the inside of your coop, itā€™s chicken and small animal safe like bunnies etc and is designed to be easier to clean for animal setups)

Hardware and predator proofing:

ā€¢I replaced all the cheap hardware with better quality/long lasting hardware.
ā€¢I used clear outdoor silicone sealant in between all the wood panels and the poop tray so that there couldnā€™t be moisture getting in and wetting the inside, but also so I could rinse off the tray easily and not worry about grime getting stuck in crevices. itā€™s rained and snowed a few times here in Texas, and I put it out a month before I intended to move my chickens into it- and so far it looks the exact same! No warping or swollen wet planks or anything. So Iā€™m very happy about that.
ā€¢ itā€™s on the side of my house. My house has a 10 foot tall fenced yard with no gaps in the fence anywhere- Iā€™m not really worried about predators but of course replaced all latches and added caribiniers just to be safe.
ā€¢I am adding good hardware cloth into the ground around the coop perimeter for extra security
ā€¢I am fencing off this nook of the yard with a waist high gate and might add some sort of mesh over top so that no hawks or anything can get in and they can walk around freely without worry in that area.

Extras:

ā€¢the coop and little run part will be connected of course but I just want to make sure thereā€™s nothing else I should do before I totally finish it and add the ramps, roosting sticks (rods?? I donā€™t think I am calling them the correct term lol) etc etc
ā€¢ the spot the coop is in actually avoids most water when it rains and the ground stays super dry there, so that was a great bonus. Just adding that because I donā€™t *think* Iā€™ll have to worry about tons of mud.
ā€¢I do have the little window that slides open at the top of the coop. I will keep it open for ventilation because I read that you should have every single thing sealed off and shut since the ammonia and everything needs a way out.

My questions:

What should I put down on the ground??

Do I just leave the soil as is? Iā€™m gonna take out all the big rock chunks regardless, level the ground out more and then I read some ppl prefer sand, and to make sure itā€™s the right kind of sand, not play sand, etc, but then others prefer leaves or this or that.
to start off with I wanna just make sure the coop and run area is ok ground material for now. I can always change it up but I donā€™t wanna start off with something thatā€™s no good for them!

Cooling fans, heating pads???

I live in Dallas where we get these horrific 100+ degree heatwaves lately in the summer and I have friends who have lost all their chickens because of it. I wanna make sure that doesnā€™t happen to me. Do people use fans on the inside? What about heating pads?

Automatic doors!

Which automatic doors would you recommend? Thereā€™s so many on Amazon, and diff websites. I donā€™t wanna buy something that could be dangerous or malfunction or just be cheaply made junk.

Anything else you could suggest just by looking at my pics? Maybe something I didnā€™t even mention or think about?

Thank you so much!!!!
-Luna

Attachments

• 91082B22-BC2B-4725-90E6-16529EA42412.jpeg
    91082B22-BC2B-4725-90E6-16529EA42412.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 61
  • EB5F9816-660E-4B69-A853-6EEE92BB6F5A.jpeg
    EB5F9816-660E-4B69-A853-6EEE92BB6F5A.jpeg
    876.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 775844C4-3D23-410E-BA5B-264A5D7D4C53.jpeg
    775844C4-3D23-410E-BA5B-264A5D7D4C53.jpeg
    766.1 KB · Views: 26
  • F4CC9687-6CE7-4BAB-A899-0B03F4664668.jpeg
    F4CC9687-6CE7-4BAB-A899-0B03F4664668.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 30
  • D6CAFDB7-A0AF-482B-81C2-60A82C6624FD.jpeg
    D6CAFDB7-A0AF-482B-81C2-60A82C6624FD.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 24
Here is my advice:

If you plan on getting more chickens in the future, a bigger coop will be needed. Trust me, we all did it ā€œiā€™m not goin to get anymoreā€ā€¦.. ā€œaww maybe just a coupleā€

As for soil:
I prefer mulch and soil, they can dust bathe in the soil too.

Heating pads/ cooling fans:
Upper head ventilation will help a lot with both. It keeps it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. (I doubt this coop has any type of good ventilation). Iā€™m not an expert on silkies, as i donā€™t have any, but other breeds that have feathers do not need a heat lamp. A heat lamp or any other heating source, is actually worse for chickens, as it creates condensation & moisture that can get into your chickens lungs. As for fans, i recommend not, as the motor of the fan can get clogged with dust, and end up causing a fire. If you were to use a fan use a barn fan (i think thatā€™s what theyā€™re called). But most likely the chickens will be outside all day long. If the weather is hot, put ice out for them. If the weather is cold, you can use a stock tank deicer to keep the water from freezing.

Door opener: I use the Chicken guard door opener (itā€™s a bit pricy) but iā€™ve never had a problem with it malfunctioning because of its self

ā€¢I do have the little window that slides open at the top of the coop. I will keep it open for ventilation because I read that you should have every single thing sealed off and shut since the ammonia and everything needs a way out.
You need MUCH more ventilation, especially in a hot climate. Otherwise this could be like an oven during the hottest parts of the year. Consider removing most if not all the entire inside wall of the coop, at the very least. Convert the entire unit into a coop instead of just a mini coop, mini run, and build a larger run.

To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally youā€™d like 12ā€ per bird but 10ā€ can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

What should I put down on the ground??
Litter, whether it's sand or deep litter or something else (appropriate choice depends on each specific set up and climate). Using no litter, in almost all settings you will end up with a mucky, poop laden anaerobic mess that will stink to the high heavens. In a few set ups people can get away with just dirt, but it's not the norm, especially in a small coop like this where the poop is going to accumulate.

I live in Dallas where we get these horrific 100+ degree heatwaves lately in the summer and I have friends who have lost all their chickens because of it. I wanna make sure that doesnā€™t happen to me. Do people use fans on the inside? What about heating pads?

To address the most critical thing first,

I'm sorry, but as a fellow hot-climate resident that coop is entirely inappropriate to your climate. At the least, you need to pull all the siding off one side and replace it entirely with hardware cloth. :)

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

While Silkies are less tolerant of extreme weather than birds with normal feathing, deep shade and generous ventilation are your first lines of defense against the heat. :)

Do I just leave the soil as is? Iā€™m gonna take out all the big rock chunks regardless, level the ground out more and then I read some ppl prefer sand, and to make sure itā€™s the right kind of sand, not play sand, etc, but then others prefer leaves or this or that.

I'm a fan of Deep Bedding in the coop and Deep Litter in the run.

People who are happy with sand in the run over the long term are usually both in a dry climate and are fanatical about scooping poop. :)

Using Deep Bedding in a Small Coop

Will they have access to the whole area or just that small run? If they will be in the open area I would string up some hawk string back and forth from the house to the fence.
I recommend the Omelet auto door but it may be too big for your coop as it's a sideways open and not up and down.

To address the most critical thing first,

I'm sorry, but as a fellow hot-climate resident that coop is entirely inappropriate to your climate. At the least, you need to pull all the siding off one side and replace it entirely with hardware cloth. :)

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

While Silkies are less tolerant of extreme weather than birds with normal feathing, deep shade and generous ventilation are your first lines of defense against the heat. :)

I'm a fan of Deep Bedding in the coop and Deep Litter in the run.

People who are happy with sand in the run over the long term are usually both in a dry climate and are fanatical about scooping poop. :)

Using Deep Bedding in a Small Coop
Thank you so much! Seriously this advice everyone has shared is super helpful. I thought about removing the part next to the door and adding a big window for ventilation, but now Iā€™ve got way better ideas thanks to yā€™all šŸ˜Š

I think I may start with deep bedding, not particularly the biggest fan of scooping poop šŸ˜†

Back
Top Bottom