ancona / blue swedish runner ducklings

Duck mom 2023

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2023
Okay so I have 4, 8 week old ancona /blue swedish runner ducklings. I picked up 2 of them June 11 and the other 2 July 26. They're from the same clutch but the 2 I picked up June 11 seem WAY older now, they have big beautiful wings and are fully feathered but the 2 I picked up July 26 have small wings are are still molting, they seem at least 2 weeks younger??? I know they're from the same clutch because I was keeping up on them in hopes of getting more lol anyway, is it normal for ducklings to mature slower with mom or maybe they stayed small because they were kept in a small space? Im so confused lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230730-140301_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730-140301_Video Player.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 23
Interesting! I am new to ducks but have both these breeds. Do you know how much they swim? Some of what I’ve read suggests they mature faster if they are in water sooner (with supervision, of course). Though we got ours from the tractor supply And don’t know which clutch.

Also, are they male or female? Our Blue and Black Swedish hens are much larger than our Ancona. Maybe it’s just something in the mix?

Interesting! I am new to ducks but have both these breeds. Do you know how much they swim? Some of what I’ve read suggests they mature faster if they are in water sooner (with supervision, of course). Though we got ours from the tractor supply And don’t know which clutch.

Also, are they male or female? Our Blue and Black Swedish hens are much larger than our Ancona. Maybe it’s just something in the mix?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230727-194610_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230727-194610_Gallery.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 9

This is one of the first 2 and one of the second 2, the difference is really in the development rather than size, its so strange.. The 2 I picked up first are 100% girls, they both have clear quack/honks, the second 2 make all sorts of sounds so Im also confused about that lol I would say it has something to do with the mix but all of the ones she kept at her house are smaller so it would be a heck of a coincidence, my babies have been swimming since they were little, supervised of corse, so if what you read is true, then that's probably it!

Back
Top Bottom