Ancona Chicken Thread

Pics

Nava

I Got The Naked Neck Blues
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Ocala Fl
Hi, i was looking for more BYC members with Ancona's and there in not a lot of them,or i did not find them or a thread
So i decided to do it, I love this Breed,they have a nice size white egg, and mine is laying a lot, I only have one hen and one roo,but i have 15 eggs in the incubator, and 5 chicks in the brooder, i want to get a good size flock. well i hope i'm not the only one here.

here is my little flock of two
lol.png
and some baby chicks.

38176_anconas_010.jpg

the other chicken was a cross from my oncona and a leghorn,she is a really good layer

38176_anconas_005.jpg

ancona chicks

38176_anconas_015.jpg

38176_anconas_014.jpg

38176_anconas_013.jpg

Last edited:
all my chicks just went out side including my 4 anconas they are so happy.
and 2 more days before lock down on 13 ancona eggs and 11 lav orps
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Quote:
The way I see it, there's several ways to go about it:

"Honey, have you ever read the fascinating history of XYZ breed?" (Playing up the SO's interest in poultry as living history)

Or, "Honey, you know, by adding XYZ breed, we can run very specific three way trails between them and collect meaningful data about the growth, rate of lay, longevity...this would be important and useful information for organizations like the SPPA and the ALBC." (Playing up that keen scientific mind)

Or, "Honey, I can't believe such a beautiful and useful fowl as the XYZ is critically endangered. I think you should take them up at least until their status has stabilized." (playing up that preservationist' leaning.)

and if all else fails, there's always the tried and true method:
"Honey, I stopped by the poultry show and this trio of XYZ followed me home; can I keep them?"
lol.png

Last edited:
Thought I'd post a photo of our first RC Anconas for the 2012 season. It's a mixed group of Anconas and White Dorkings. They're growing well, and there's already a second hatch in the brooder. They should be hatching weekly on each Sunday. Our goal is to hatch 100 chicks to raise here before beginning to sell stock. Check out their little rose combs
jumpy.gif
:

Greetings All!

Thought I'd share some fun Ancona news...

So far this season our Ancona pullets have won:

Champion large fowl at the Deerfield fair

Reserve Champion Mediterranian at the New Hampshire Poultry Fanciers Association

Champion Large fowl at the Little Rhody Poultry Show

We'll see how we do in a couple weeks in Boston.

Cheers!

Joseph

Needing Ancona's? How about Rosecomb Anconas.....smile.....I sure do like mine, thankyou very much....Mine from You ( Yellowhouse) are doing well, sadly this fall i did lose one of the 4 Roosters and have been wanting to contact You to see if You have another from that particular line or thoughts on breeding that line without him....

Regarding mixed flocks, i have a small mixed flock(eggs/pets) as well as my other breed groups (Rosecomb Anconas, Salmon Faverolles & Black Ameraucanas) and what i notice most is that types flock together even if they were brought in at different times from different sources. They seem happier that way....Kinda like having someone that speaks the same language???? Mine are mostly gentler breeds thou and the mixed flock is free range who sleeps in the barn, i think i don't have the pecking order thing with so much space for them to be them.
eliz

Back
Top Bottom