Angel wing or something else?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Ok so I’m not sure, but I’m concerned one of my ducklings has Angel wing. He/she is just starting to get the blue speculum feathers, and they’re sticking out at a weird angle. She keeps making a motion that seems like she’s trying to adjust herself, almost like rolling her shoulder back, repeatedly. Everything I’ve read indicates Angel wing affects the tips or “ends” of the wings, usually just the left side. But this is her right side, and the speculum feathers are in the middle of the wing, right?

Anyway, this duckling is just about 8 weeks old, and is the only one in the group with this issue. I started them on duck feed, then switched to all flock when they were around 5 weeks old, then after a mixup at the feed store about a week ago, I gave them meat bird crumbles for one night then switched them back to regular duck feed. So I’m not sure if it’s a deficiency of some sort from switching their food around, or if this particular duck is just having issues, or if it’s just in an awkward growing phase. The other two older ducks have all their blue feathers in, and I sure didn’t notice this on either one but maybe I somehow missed it.

Also, just in case it’s related, this duck came to us with an eye issue (at 2-3 days old). I thought she only had one eye at first because it was sealed completely shut. We treated with erythromycin ointment for eyes, and gently wiped the area several times a day and eventually it opened little by little. Even after treatment it never looked like a normal sized eye and even the feathering around it still looks “off,” even though it’s been several weeks since we finished treatment. I just wanted to mention it, just in case it’s another symptom of a larger issue.

Sorry for the picture quality, it’s dark out. I will take more in the morning but hopefully these are enough to give an idea of what I’m talking about.
9B01C0B0-7B51-4C7C-B19B-78DB7321FA41.jpeg

115F6D1B-66A7-4DAC-BE8C-B8F8A815EEA1.jpeg

Ok so I’m not sure, but I’m concerned one of my ducklings has Angel wing. He/she is just starting to get the blue speculum feathers, and they’re sticking out at a weird angle. She keeps making a motion that seems like she’s trying to adjust herself, almost like rolling her shoulder back, repeatedly. Everything I’ve read indicates Angel wing affects the tips or “ends” of the wings, usually just the left side. But this is her right side, and the speculum feathers are in the middle of the wing, right?

Anyway, this duckling is just about 8 weeks old, and is the only one in the group with this issue. I started them on duck feed, then switched to all flock when they were around 5 weeks old, then after a mixup at the feed store about a week ago, I gave them meat bird crumbles for one night then switched them back to regular duck feed. So I’m not sure if it’s a deficiency of some sort from switching their food around, or if this particular duck is just having issues, or if it’s just in an awkward growing phase. The other two older ducks have all their blue feathers in, and I sure didn’t notice this on either one but maybe I somehow missed it.

Also, just in case it’s related, this duck came to us with an eye issue (at 2-3 days old). I thought she only had one eye at first because it was sealed completely shut. We treated with erythromycin ointment for eyes, and gently wiped the area several times a day and eventually it opened little by little. Even after treatment it never looked like a normal sized eye and even the feathering around it still looks “off,” even though it’s been several weeks since we finished treatment. I just wanted to mention it, just in case it’s another symptom of a larger issue.

Sorry for the picture quality, it’s dark out. I will take more in the morning but hopefully these are enough to give an idea of what I’m talking about.
View attachment 3172424
View attachment 3172425
8t does kinda look like angel wing to me.

Thanks for the link!! I viewed a different video, the figure-of-eight one, and they wrapped it the opposite direction (down in front and up through the “armpit”) starting in the “shoulder” area instead of the elbow. Does it matter which way? Or just that it’s wrapped and held in place? I don’t want to do it wrong 😬
It doesn't matter which way you wrap as long as the long flight feathers are held in place where they should be, flush with the duck's body

Sorry, one more question- I wrapped both wings, because the other was looking kinda droopy. But now it’s like she’s overcompensating on that side (her left). I went ahead and removed it, but here’s what she was doing with it:
A0A2314E-9A6E-456B-BA0B-15E3ACA76C4C.jpeg

I wrapped it the exact same way as I did her right side, and checked to be sure it wasn’t too tight. But she kept holding it weird like this. So I took it off. That side isn’t so bad, was just trying to give her some extra support. Should I try again, or just leave it be? The whole wrapping experience was very stressful for her 😓

Leave the left side be. The new flight feathers are heavy for a duckling and the drooping doesn't matter as long as they are able to adjust them up into the right place. The problem is when the flight feather stick out in silly directions like those on the right wing.

It's only going to talke 2 or 3 days for the right wing to correct. Just watch the left wing through that period.

Leave the left side be. The new flight feathers are heavy for a duckling and the drooping doesn't matter as long as they are able to adjust them up into the right place. The problem is when the flight feather stick out in silly directions like those on the right wing.

It's only going to talke 2 or 3 days for the right wing to correct. Just watch the left wing through that period.
Thank you so much!! I have to re-wrap the right side, as she’s managed to pick it off already 🤦‍♀️ Such a little stinker, that one 🤣

Back
Top Bottom