Another Baby Chick Diarrhea Post

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
Hello again,

I’m started to get worried about the amount of diarrhea my chicks are putting out. Some piles are fine, some look like pudding cecals, but there’s also a lot of pure liquid piles. They came to us 5 days ago with loose stools, firmed up for a day or two, and are now regressing. They are acting very active and healthy otherwise.

I’ll try to attach some photos as soon as I can. They’re on medicated feed (Purina), and got Sav-A-Chick only on day 2 in their drinking water.

Thank you so much for your help. I’m hoping they just got over excited, but it’s hard not to worry.

IMG_3791.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3792.jpeg
    IMG_3792.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 1
Thought I would update for anyone else concerned about their chicks. The diarrhea seems to be connected to stress and excitement. They'll do it first thing in the morning, then again when I put them in their holding pen during a full brooder cleaning. We monitored the chicks for quite a while yesterday, and they all eventually made a solid poop. It sounds like blood in the stool, or lethargy, are the biggest indicators that something's wrong. Also, my impression is that electrolytes are NOT for diarrhea (despite it being encouraged for humans).

Good luck everyone! Chicks are fun but stressful! 😬

Hi there! I agree chicks are fun, yet so stressful. Got 4 tiny babies right now and their poops looked like that a day before I started seeing blood. Do you have Corid on-hand, just in case anyone starts acting off?

Hi there! I agree chicks are fun, yet so stressful. Got 4 tiny babies right now and their poops looked like that a day before I started seeing blood. Do you have Corid on-hand, just in case anyone starts acting off?
I'll probably pick some up just in case, so thank you for the reminder! Hope yours start feeling better soon.

Back
Top Bottom