Another Broody Question

PaintedDreams

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Southern TN
I'm sorry to keep asking questions about my broody hens. If they were dogs or cats I would know what to do, but I am inexperienced in chicken behavior. My newest question is this: I have a child's swimming pool with fencing around the outside that I used to raise a litter of pups. I was wondering if I could put both my broody hens and all their chicks (4 or 5) in there together? It is the largest size plastic pool (with a slide) I didn't know if they would become territorial and fight or harm each others chicks. They have spent the last 21 days sitting right next to each other in their nesting boxes. If I just left them alone they would be in the same coop together. The problem is my coop has a few small holes around the bottom that the chicks may be able to squeeze through until they get bigger.

Yes, the hens will be territorial, and they will harm the chicks in the process. Even in the coop together, you may want to keep an eye on them to make sure that they are tolerating each other, now that they will be getting out of their nests more often.
And, yes, the chicks will squeeze through the holes. They will squeeze through, into, around, above, and below anything that they can get to. If it is there, they will find it and get themselves into trouble. They are curious about EVERYTHING!!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom