Another chick handling question...

demonique

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Montana
So I've read plenty on here about spending time with the chicks and handling them every day and giving treats so they warm up to you and all.

But... I have this kiddie pool brooder, right? And the chicks are terrified of me, naturally (earlier in the week (they're just over a week old) they were friendlier, but now they're pretty well convinced I'm the big bad wolf come to eat them up. My reach is NOT long enough to just... reach in and grab them, and they're real adept at running and fleeing in circles out of reach.

I have been having to use some cardboard to sort of sweep them over toward me (they go running, chirping madly and trying to fly out of the brooder... *cough*) so I can pick one up and inspect its bottom and all that.

But I suspect this is not helping me out on the whole "make the chicks friendly" bit. Right? *lol*

Aside from bundling up in warm clothes and neglecting housework to just sit in the garage with them for a couple hours at a time every day, anybody got any ideas? *lol* I've been spending about 20-30 minutes a day over all with them for the last 3-4 days, split up into 2-3 chunks. And I walk out to say hello a few times...

I am in no way a expert and I am new to this ............but I have 7 chicks 2 weeks old and they are in a very big box in the dining room...........and they are very used to all the noise that my 5 and 3 year old boys make and including the vacuum they stand on their food to see what the noise is ........the are alittle scared when the crazy hand comes in the box and we have not given treats yet but the come over and check us out alot........and we let them out of the box in the dining room for alittle while until the poop everywhere so the can explore us and we can talk to them on their level.........I am sure if you have them in the gargage it is b/c you prefer it that way.......but I have seen on here that everyone would say that they arent as scared of us it they see us alot and hear all our voices and the normal sounds of the house...............dont know if that helps at all?????????

big_smile.png

Put on old boots and get in the wading pool with them. Squat or croach down to their level and let them explore you! The more they see you and associate you with meal and snack times the more they will come running. This is what I did and all my girls and boys come right up to me when I show up at the coop!!!
wink.png

Ok...So I know this sounds a little silly, but since I am a singer I sing to my chicks. i nice high melodic sound and the chicks cock their heads and listen and calm down. They freak out a little until I do this and then they just relax and let me grab them. I also notice that you need to be assertive and not skittish yourself, because they can feel the vibe.

Hi, our barred rocks, buff orpingtons, and RIR's, took a few weeks to enjoy being around us. Had them inside for 2 weeks then had to move them out to an outdoor brooder. Having 5 kids helps with the "handling" factor lol! I can't keep the kids away from the babies. I taught them how to handle the chicks, and I let them hold, talk to and feed them as much as possible. My kids have done such a good job that they are like the pied piper now. The birds will come to them as sit all over the children. They will roost on their shoulders, hands, and crossed knees.

If you can have a variety of others help you with "socializing" your birds, you may see results a bit quicker.

Best wishes
smile.png

Bundle up, find a good book and your favorite hot drink, and go right out and sit in the kiddie pool with them for an hour or so each day. If you read your book and ignore them, soon they will be climbing all over you.
I gave up on housework years ago in favor of hanging out in my chicken coop!
yippiechickie.gif

I would love to have them in the house.

My three cats, would, too.
hmm.png

Unfortunately, there's nowhere except my bedroom to lock them in inside where the cats cannot reach. I have two doors in my house - the bathroom, and the bedroom. But there's just no way... Even the bathroom is tiny and barely has room for me! *lol* It's not the smell or the mess - it's the cats and the house design that leaves me with a problem.

The garage is attached, at least!

I do notice with mine (I think they are about 3 weeks old now, but they are feathering in very well, does that determine age?) they like when I go out in the garage and sit on my bucket and sing to them! I am not a good singer, but they like the calm, soothing tone and usually squat down and fall asleep! I try to handle, but they squack and run about also! I threw in some cherry tomatoes and lettace and some bean sprouts today, they ate the sprouts, and some of the tomatoes and lettuce, are they too young for that stuff?
Thanks,
Courtney

I can't keep the kids away from the babies. I taught them how to handle the chicks, and I let them hold, talk to and feed them as much as possible. My kids have done such a good job that they are like the pied piper now. The birds will come to them as sit all over the children. They will roost on their shoulders, hands, and crossed knees.

I think my children were a big help with the chicks also. I run a daycare, so children of all sizes got to play with them as they grew up. I think its less frightening to be 'cornered' by something only 3 feet tall, compared to a BIG human...lol
tongue.png
Having alot of different people handle them has really helped us. Now, ours litterally climb all over us, fly up to our arms, shoulders, head, and those that stay on the ground, pull at our pants until we give in and pick them up! We have one little pullet who is just the sweety of the bunch. We named her Nugget! Anywho, she is always the first one to run to ANYONE and begs to be held! She will doze off in your arms and loves to put her head on your shoulder and sleep.

The real key is to get them out wether they like it or not at this young age and hold them for a good long time. Never put them down until they calm down and make each "holding session" a GOOD experience. Offer treats from your hands, talk softly to them, and snuggle them. Make sure you talk to them before youe ven approach the kiddie pool so they know you're coming. Even as friendly as mine are, they sometimes forget we're there until we sneeze or make a noise and then they kinda flip out! lol
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom