Another Egg Bound Hen.

Hmmm....I'm really not liking this season too much so far. I have 4 hens who are either having issues laying or are laying weird eggs, I have 3 that are laying just fine, and 7 that haven't even started to lay yet. I need some fingers crossed, prayers, or whatever your willing to send this way this morning, because I have one of my favorite girls steaming it up in my bath tub right now. I found her on the ground this morning, she was due to lay last night. She is semi-paralyzed so I know it's egg binding. Did a vent check and the egg is right there about 1/2 inch in, I lubed as best as I could with olive oil, (no KY on hand). She has had 5 ccs of calcium gluconate watered down, and it is about 85-90 in the bathroom now. This is not a tame imprinted hen, so she is not liking all this. I've avoided trying to massage it out to try to keep the stress lower. She is still able to poop as she has done so on me twice now. :(
I'm having the same problem with my 11 months female ;( she was laying fine in her nest until her mom start laying in the same nest and took over them now she is sitting on the 9 eggs so my 11 months hen hasent lay the one she was suppose to lay a couple days ago she is in really bad shape and don't know what to do ;(

Posting from phone due to internet being down. Send personal message if you want to call me.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem with my 11 months female ;( she was laying fine in her nest until her mom start laying in the same nest and took over them now she is sitting on the 9 eggs so my 11 months hen hasent lay the one she was suppose to lay a couple days ago she is in really bad shape and don't know what to do ;(

It is not very likely that an 11-month-old chick is laying eggs, my assumption is that the hen has laid all those eggs. Your chick is probably showing the effects of either a worm load or Coccidious. You should take a fresh fecal sample to the vet and have them do a fecal float and look for worm eggs and Coccidia. Or you can do a 'shotgun' approach and start treatment for both without knowing what you are really treating for.

It is not very likely that an 11-month-old chick is laying eggs, my assumption is that the hen has laid all those eggs.  Your chick is probably showing the effects of either a worm load or Coccidious.  You should take a fresh fecal sample to the vet and have them do a fecal float and look for worm eggs and Coccidia.  Or you can do a 'shotgun' approach and start treatment for both without knowing what you are really treating for.

Internet not down, computer busted, so on iPad now.

KsKingBee is probably correct... Most hens don't start laying until they are two, so I gotta ask, did you actually see her lay an egg? Checking for a stuck egg is easy, very gently insert well lubed, gloved finger no more than 1/2 inch into vent (see pictures in thread to understand anatomy).

Other illness possibilities are blackhead and/or infection. Best thing to do is find a vet. Can you post some poop pictures?

-Kathy

Last edited:
How did she fare? I lost a hen recently to this as I was unaware.....new to peafowl last year. I noticed the wings hanging down and next day was just too late ):

It is not very likely that an 11-month-old chick is laying eggs, my assumption is that the hen has laid all those eggs.  Your chick is probably showing the effects of either a worm load or Coccidious.  You should take a fresh fecal sample to the vet and have them do a fecal float and look for worm eggs and Coccidia.  Or you can do a 'shotgun' approach and start treatment for both without knowing what you are really treating for.

I saw her lay her first one and they are small eggs and I know it's her eggs and I know it's hard to believe that she is laying when she is only 11 months ;( she lay 3 or 4 total

I saw her lay her first one and they are small eggs and I know it's her eggs and I know it's hard to believe that she is laying when she is only 11 months ;( she lay 3 or 4 total

Have you checked inside her vent for a stuck egg? And when you say small egg, how small?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom