Another Egg Bound Hen.

She went to sit close to mom and when mom got out of the best she kill her since she was to weak ;( I was doing some yard work and I found her dead when I came to check on her ;(

@q8peafowl how are all of your hens? @KsKingBee , how's your young male?

-Kathy

Thanks for asking, I was trying to not step on this thread with an unrelated illness so I will make it short. The Peach SP cock tested positive for Cocci, he must have brought it with him since he had been on concrete with fresh pine shavings since he got here. I did deworm them, but failed to do a Corid treatment since they came from where they came from... I think that the stress of confinement brought the Cocci to a head and the other birds were picking it so it did not get to eat as much as it should and went downhill. With the advisement of @frenchblackcopper , I began the Suulfamed-G the day before I did the fecal exam, putting it into a tubing mixture along with Polyvisol and vitamin B complex. I was not confident in the first fecal done by the vets staff, so I had a second one done by the vet the next day, at that time she gave me a syringe with vitamin B to be given under the skin.

After tubing for three days the bird began to respond quite well. It is now standing, and eating on its own and puts up some resistance to being handled and tube fed. All in all I think it is doing quite well, however I will need to keep him in the infirmary until he gets strong enough to go back out into general population. Tomorrow will be the fifth day of treatment for cocci and it will not need to be tube fed again after that one.

Thanks for asking, I was trying to not step on this thread with an unrelated illness so I will make it short. The Peach SP cock tested positive for Cocci, he must have brought it with him since he had been on concrete with fresh pine shavings since he got here. I did deworm them, but failed to do a Corid treatment since they came from where they came from... I think that the stress of confinement brought the Cocci to a head and the other birds were picking it so it did not get to eat as much as it should and went downhill. With the advisement of @frenchblackcopper , I began the Suulfamed-G the day before I did the fecal exam, putting it into a tubing mixture along with Polyvisol and vitamin B complex. I was not confident in the first fecal done by the vets staff, so I had a second one done by the vet the next day, at that time she gave me a syringe with vitamin B to be given under the skin.

After tubing for three days the bird began to respond quite well. It is now standing, and eating on its own and puts up some resistance to being handled and tube fed. All in all I think it is doing quite well, however I will need to keep him in the infirmary until he gets strong enough to go back out into general population. Tomorrow will be the fifth day of treatment for cocci and it will not need to be tube fed again after that one.

Glad to hear he is improving!

Bertolli is feeling well enough to do some morning preening up on the perch. This is the first I've seen her hop up there since she went down 10 days ago.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom