Another Egg Bound Hen.

In more ways than one... I did the routine worming but didn't do the corid treatment, the stools look fine but I will know if it is worms or cocci today. The other birds that came with him are all fine, they were picking on him too.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, just making an observation that sometimes it can be really hard to know what the problems are.
You're right, can be really hard to know what's ailing them.

-Kathy

I am in kind of the same boat only with a peacock. The Peach Silver Pied cock I got recently has been going down hill and I am not sure why. He has lost a lot of weight, doesn't roost, and the other birds are picking on him. He is inside getting tube fed and a stool sample is going to town today, yesterday I went to the vet only to discover that the sample was still at home.
he.gif
Ks,if you can feel his breastbone worm him asap and give him a dose of sulfadimethoxine? for coccidosis. If he's so weak he can't fly to the perch,it maybe too late. Then again if he's constantly being low on the pecking order he may not be able to eat,, maybe separate him?

So this morning I venture to the garage to check on the pied hen and turn eggs. The hen is up and walking around, so out in the breeding pen she went. She actually flew from my arms and went running when she hit the ground.

Last edited:
Ks,if you can feel his breastbone worm him asap and give him a dose of sulfadimethoxine? for coccidosis. If he's so weak he can't fly to the perch,it maybe too late. Then again if he's constantly being low on the pecking order he may not be able to eat,, maybe separate him?

So this morning I venture to the garage to check on the pied hen and turn eggs. The hen is up and walking around, so out in the breeding pen she went. She actually flew from my arms and went running when she hit the ground.

I have that on hand. it says 50mg/kg daily for 5 days. I forgot how much that is in English.
he.gif

I have that on hand.  it says 50mg/kg daily for 5 days.  I forgot how much that is in English.  :he

Powder or liquid?

-Kathy

If one had the 12.5 % liquid and wanted to give 50mg/kg, the formula for a large male looks like this:

6 kg x 50 mg ÷ 125 mg/ml = 2.4 ml

-Kathy

Okay... for those that have the powder this is what Mr. Math typed up for us:

Package weighs 107g
Package contains 94.6g of Sulfadimethoxine
Package is therefore 94.6 ÷ 107 = 0.88 = 88% pure (12% filler)
To get 50 mg of Sulfadimethoxine
50 mg ÷ 88% = 50 mg ÷ 0.88 = 56 mg of powder

At a dose of 50mg/kg
For a 2 kg bird = 2 x 56 mg powder = 112 mg powder

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom