Another fist timer

I stored my eggs vertically and then laid them down flat to hatch. I'm sure I've read of others doing the same.

I lay my eggs down in the hatcher too unless they are shipped. In the case of shipped I tend to leave them upright.

Please do a threat on your incubator and hatcher build. My husband made mine out of wine chillers but yours are very interesting and I would like to see more. (has nothing to do with 2 dozen eggs aging away while my bator is stuffed full and my new incubator has some issues.)

Last edited:
I stored my eggs vertically and then laid them down flat to hatch. I'm sure I've read of others doing the same.

Hi ShanandGem

Just to be clear...you put your eggs in the bator vertically then you lay them down on lockdown? Is that correct?
Thanks for your time
John

Hi ShanandGem

Just to be clear...you put your eggs in the bator vertically then you lay them down on lockdown? Is that correct?
Thanks for your time
John

Sorry John, yes, I incubate with my eggs in a cardboard carton with the bottoms cut out for ventilation. At lockdown I lay them flat. I think I read somewhere that the egg will naturally roll to the right side up for pipping.

Sorry John, yes, I incubate with my eggs in a cardboard carton with the bottoms cut out for ventilation. At lockdown I lay them flat. I think I read somewhere that the egg will naturally roll to the right side up for pipping.

Hi ShanandGem....,Thanks for the clarification, I will try that on the next batch I put in the hatcher. I felt so bad for the chicks that hatched in the tray, minutes old, then having to navigate what I sure seemed to be mountains to them.
Thanks for your advice
John

It's never been my experience that an egg roll right side up for pipping. However, if you mark your air cells on day 18/lockdown, you will know how to lay your eggs so that the area they should pip is facing up.

Back
Top Bottom