Another new coop post!

RitzvilleHen

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Ritzville, Washington
Our hens have arrived, laid eggs and figured out the ramp and roost. Well, all but one...she sleeps behind the roost on the poop board.
Our coop is built up against our brick garden shed and under the overhang of shed. The run is 4x12 plus the space under the coop. We read about so many coops in this group and combined several. I already see a few things we would have done differently, now that we have birds. I would have moved the chicken door farther to the side for MY benefit, and would have made an access door in the fencing around the area under the coop for access on both sides. It is what it is now! The ramp is removable, attached with hooks to the coop under the chicken door. That is helpful for cleaning the run. The perch is removable for better access to the poop board. We have sand in both coop and run. The nests are desk drawers, and have excelsior nest pads, which they seem to like. Our house is 123 years old in the middle of town, and the screen door was previously on our front door. We removed the old screen and added the 1/2" fencing to it. The siding was left over from house repairs and is painted with left over house and trim paint. All in all, it turned out pretty cute, if not as efficient as we'd hoped!
We have a 12'x12' area behind the wood fence that will eventually be fenced and covered with another chicken door for the access to that area, giving them much more room to scratch!

Attachments

• 20230524_163616.jpg
    20230524_163616.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 20230524_161919.jpg
    20230524_161919.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230524_162015.jpg
    20230524_162015.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 73
love your coop. It’s really cute and looks like it blends in with the house perfect! I wanted an old screen door for mine. But didn’t have one and couldn’t find anything at a reasonable price. I ended up building my own door then adding some corner bracket decor.

Our hens have arrived, laid eggs and figured out the ramp and roost. Well, all but one...she sleeps behind the roost on the poop board.
Our coop is built up against our brick garden shed and under the overhang of shed. The run is 4x12 plus the space under the coop. We read about so many coops in this group and combined several. I already see a few things we would have done differently, now that we have birds. I would have moved the chicken door farther to the side for MY benefit, and would have made an access door in the fencing around the area under the coop for access on both sides. It is what it is now! The ramp is removable, attached with hooks to the coop under the chicken door. That is helpful for cleaning the run. The perch is removable for better access to the poop board. We have sand in both coop and run. The nests are desk drawers, and have excelsior nest pads, which they seem to like. Our house is 123 years old in the middle of town, and the screen door was previously on our front door. We removed the old screen and added the 1/2" fencing to it. The siding was left over from house repairs and is painted with left over house and trim paint. All in all, it turned out pretty cute, if not as efficient as we'd hoped!
We have a 12'x12' area behind the wood fence that will eventually be fenced and covered with another chicken door for the access to that area, giving them much more room to scratch!
Very quaint and i love the colors

Back
Top Bottom