Another question.

I put the male back in about an hr after taking him out and all seems well he pecked a couple times and ran away from the chick playing haha but all good and happy they are all sitting in the nest and he is now helping and actually playing with the little thing. Unfortunately the other 2 that hatched would have eventually been abandoned because they both have curled toes and one can't stay on its belly. I'm hopefully keeping them warm and comfy enough and have the troubles one being supported on the belly so it doesn't flip on the back and the other is getting around pretty well now even with the curled feet . I don't know how long or if they will survive but I figure out of all those eggs these 3 came through and the last 2 have made it out of the shell and gotten this far so I will do what I can to help them survive as they are definitely fighting to survive... I'm researching now how to help the little buggers but OMG they are so teeny tiny how am I suppose to stent their feet and stuff?

I'm not sure about buttons, but there are several threads on here about curled toes in coturnix chicks, and apparently it can usually be fixed within 1-2 days if you start within 24 hours. As far as I recall, the advice goes something like: One person holds the chick, one person places the foot on the sticky part of a band aid with the toes in the right position, then places the other sticky end of the band aid on top, sandwiching the toes in place. Then the unnecessary parts of the band aid is cut off and within a day or so, the band aid can be removed. If the problem is still present, a new one is put on.

OK thank you IL give it a go. Hopefully it's not too late.. not too sure how it will all work as they are the tiniest things imaginable hahaha

I'm quite happy to say that they both survived me through the night with my make shift warmer
1f62c.png
they are already stronger today and one is getting around nearly like a pro and the one that couldn't get off it's back is staying up now 40% of the time.. lot of work to go yet and it's day 1 after hatching so anything can happen from here but fingers xd all good from here on

This was the second hatched chick, this bub is the one that struggles to stay up right

Oww, they are cute ^^ I have a hen with ~6 chicks where my parents live and I haven't even seen pictures of them. I moved to the opposite end of the country about 10 days before they hatched :( But I guess I can just look at the pictures of my chicks from last year, as the chicks are most likely all wild colored ^^ I think your number 2 is wild colored, number 3 might be blue face, hard to tell from the picture. Number 1 is probably silver like mommy. What color is daddy?

Daddy is dark coloured I think they call it blue coloured. Unfortunately my second hatching didn't make it.. I had to go out today and I let too much heat out of the makeshift heat box. Luckily we got home when we did cos they were both cooling right off and slowed down.. I just felt so horrible.. I got them all toasty warm again but the little darling just wasn't very strong and needed all the help he could possibly get and I stuffed it up.. rookie mistake and not properly checking everything I was just in a hurry and out longer then planned.. the other perked up pretty much instantly but I think is lonely now... Feel so horrible but as silly as it sounds the little thing died in my hand being snuggled so he/she wasn't alone.. sometimes it's frustrating being an animal and life lover. But all good I will be more vigilant with the last little chick.. first chicky is doing really really well. I definitely won't be doing this again lol .. I humoured my little hen, she did so well and everything but that's it for her and me lol..

Last edited:
I have put the other chick back in the nest to see if mum will nest. all good at the moment. she has nested on the baby. do you think that the feet will be a problem once she realizes?

Back
Top Bottom