Help! Female coturnix quail having diarrhea

Chloe_W

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2023
Hello everyone. I have an 6 months old indoor coturnix quail. Yesterday I spotted her having running droppings, one was white watery, the other one was brown red-ish and could see the food pallet shape.

Today I noticed her poop has decreased, and still having running poop like the picture below…
I feed her quail breeding pallet, dry mealworms and live mealworms from pets at home. I wonder if she got worm from live mealworms or Coccidiosis ?
She has been indoor bird since September when her eye got pecked by other.

She stopped laying eggs from Tuesday, but acting normally. She drinks more than usual and eat less than usual. Also she sleeps more.
Hope someone can help me with this 😔

IMG_5973.jpeg
image.jpg

How old is she?
What are you feeding her?
She's pooping, so it doesn't sound like she's egg bound, but can you feel an egg in her vent?
How many quail do you have?
Are any of your other birds showing any symptoms?

How old is she?
What are you feeding her?
She's pooping, so it doesn't sound like she's egg bound, but can you feel an egg in her vent?
How many quail do you have?
Are any of your other birds showing any symptoms?
Hello thank you for the reply!
She is about 6-7 months old. I feed her quail breeding pallets for a long time which was fine before.
I checked her vent, I can’t feel anything. I don’t think is egg bound…

She is by herself. I separated her with other 2 because one of her eye is closed. She got pecked by others and had a bad injury in September. Other birds are outside and look absolutely fine.
I wonder if she got worm by the mealworms ? The mealworms I fed her contain some sand in it to keep the mealworms alive.

Can you post the nutrition information of the quail breeding pellets?

Unless your mealworms have parasites, she's not going to have gotten worms from them. How many mealworms are you feeding her? If she is on a good, balanced feed, treats such as mealworms should not be more than 10% of her diet.

Have you tried tempting her with something like boiled, crushed egg yolk? If you have something like Nutri-Drench, you might try giving her some of that to give her some extra energy.

Yes, the captures below are the ingredients of the pallets.

I didn’t measure the mealworms I fed them. And I don’t know if the live mealworms got parasites or not… I bought that from the pet shop reptile section. I sort of sprinkled it on the bedding let her do the forages. I’ll be more aware of the amount I gave to them. Thank you 😊

Since I noticed she had diarrhea I only fed her pallets and a little bit spinach.
I never fed her any eggs. I’m not sure if they can have it. If that’s ok, I’ll give her some tomorrow.
Shall I deworm her just in case ?
IMG_5977.jpeg

IMG_5976.jpeg

The methionine level is very low in that feed and the calcium is a bit high, but I don't see anything else that jumps out as a problem with the pellets.

The boiled egg will give her a nutrition boost to help her get over whatever it is that she has. If she has an illness or infection, antibiotics would be good, but which antibiotic depends on what she has. Is a vet an option? If not, then keeping her isolated with plenty of food and water is her best option, I think. A bit of Nutri-Drench in her water and a bit of boiled egg while she's sick will give her the extra energy she needs to get well.

Oh wow. I was worried that she is an indoor bird may lack of calcium, I even bought extra oysters shell for her 😥
May I ask the boiled egg I give her shall be chicken egg ? or quail egg ? Also how much should I give her ?
I bought vitamin drop for her as well, the ingredients as below. Do you think this will be helpful?
Sorry for asking lots of questions…vet is quite far from us, and really pricey as well, I hope she can get well without going to the vet 😔
Really grateful for your help xx
image.jpg

Chicken or quail egg yolk will work.
I would add 3 drops per 10ml of the vitamins to her water, but only for a few days. See how she's doing then.

You will have a better idea of her chances of recover in a couple days.

Chicken or quail egg yolk will work.
I would add 3 drops per 10ml of the vitamins to her water, but only for a few days. See how she's doing then.

You will have a better idea of her chances of recover in a couple days.
Hi @Nabiki thank you for the advice x I fed her some quail egg yolk today. She seemed really like it ! And I can see the shape of droppings still running tho…hope she will get better soon. Unfortunately I don’t think she likes the victim drop I bought for her, she barely drank it, I have to change it to normal water. She still drinks a lot than normal…I’ll keep feeding her egg yolks and veggies and see how she goes.
I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for your help xx

Hi @Nabiki thank you for the advice x I fed her some quail egg yolk today. She seemed really like it ! And I can see the shape of droppings still running tho…hope she will get better soon. Unfortunately I don’t think she likes the victim drop I bought for her, she barely drank it, I have to change it to normal water. She still drinks a lot than normal…I’ll keep feeding her egg yolks and veggies and see how she goes.
I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for your help xx
I would skip the veggies for now. They can loosen her poop, and you want to be able to clearly see if there's any improvement over the next couple days. Keep feeding her her pellets and the boiled egg yolk and keep us posted on how she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom