Another Thread About Lice and Mites

LittleBits

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I posted these questions, but it was an old thread, and haven't received any replies yet, so thought I'd start another one, please forgive the repetition!
There are SO MANY differences in opinions and SO MANY different options, it's VERY confusing.
th.gif
That being said, I'm trying to sort out what is best for me and mine. I am leaning toward using Sevin in a shaker bag (is this a little traumatic - even though thorough - for the hens? It seems to be the next cheapest and effective method (as reported on here that is!) Need to find a way so I can do it w/o help. Would a shaker bag get it all over enough?

Originally Posted by NewbeeDoo
..... I actually dunked them all in soap/salt water, then vinegar water, then just water and poof! All the lice are gone! I'm expecting the one 'infestor' , who had the most eggs, will share the love again, so I'm going to actually repeat the wash in a few days before I try the Permethrin...

Has anyone else tried the above method?

A few questions, if I may:
1. How much salt and how much vinegar are you using?
2. What kind of soap with the salt water and how much?
3. When you get your chickens completely wet - do you need to use a hair dryer on them or just let them air out on their own?
4. If you're using this method on the hens, how do you treat your coop and run?

TO THOSE WHO USE SEVIN - or any other product that has a withdrawal time, for that matter! What do you do w/ your eggs during the 7d w/drawal time? I hate to think of throwing them all away - we don't get very many as it is, even from 11 hens - they don't all lay every day.

ALSO: What does anyone on this thread think about Neem Oil and/or Nu-Stock? Has anyone here tried it lately?

ALSO: Wood Ash use? http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2012/12/natural-way-to-rid-chickens-of-lice.html

Originally Posted by dawg53
Here's a link to a withdrawal time chart. Scroll down and read that sevin dust has a 7 day withdrawal period.
http://www.cfo.on.ca/_pdfs/PoultryWithdrawalTimeChart-Mar30-07.pdf

Thanks for the chart, Dawg - I've already copied it into my chicken folder!

Thanks in advance to all who respond! Wish there was only one way to do it all! Wouldn't that make itl lovely!!
D.gif

Well, I had mites before and I used Sevin. Instead of the shaking in a bag method, I put it in the cut off leg of an old pair of leggings and used it as a powder puff all over them. It worked very well - mites all gone!

As for the withdrawal time - I didn't even realize Sevin had one. I ate the eggs. No ill effects. Not saying you should, that's just what I did. I mean really, it's a garden dust...that people use on vegetables. And then eat. So I guess I'm not too worried that I ate them!

And I have heard that wood ash is pretty effective, but I've never used it myself. Whatever you do, good luck!

Thanks so much. Powder puff is a good idea, too - might save a little of the Sevin. The worst part will be catching the critters! I may set up a big light outside the coop and do it after roosting time, one by one. Raid the coop...

I do know that if you use Sevin on veggies, you aren't supposed to eat them w/in a certain time frame. The chart that was posted says 7d on the eggs.

Just got a message from the poster of that previous thread, who answered all the questions I asked. Thank you, NewbeeDoo!

If anyone else has any suggestions as to HOW to go about this (remember, I'm doing it with just me...) I'd certainly be GLAD for them. Unless anyone wants to come and HELP!!!!!! Be glad for that, too! lol

Back
Top Bottom