Ant infestation

Thomaswgordon

Songster
May 27, 2022
Maryland
Help! I noticed a couple ants at one of the nesting boxes a couple days ago. Today I lifted the straw to find a HUGE pile of ants all over the floor and bedding of nesting box. The last time we changed bedding I added the horse pellets for the first time, could the sawdust be attracting them??

I’ve read about possible dimateuos earth for insects? Is there a specific kind and should I just sprinkle underneath the straw?

Thanks!

Diotomaeceous Earth, won't do anything. An egg might have broken to attract them. Get some antbait and place them where the birds can't reach them.
There was a time when an egg broke. I didn’t think it would lead to this. Good to know more likely that then the pellets. Guess I’ll try to clean it out good then bait? What if the ants eat poison then birds get them?

There was a time when an egg broke. I didn’t think it would lead to this. Good to know more likely that then the pellets. Guess I’ll try to clean it out good then bait? What if the ants eat poison then birds get them?
Chickens don't like ants. Typically the ants carry the food back to the nest.

I'd try permethrin dust first. Corn meal is said to kill ants but the chickens would probably eat it first.
Does this look like the right stuff? And just verifying no withdrawal period with this if chickens come in contact. It says it’s 25% premethrin.

Attachments

• IMG_9262.png
    IMG_9262.png
    461.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom