Antibiotics and eating eggs

For those asking why withholding matters. My understanding (and I am not a vet, but this is based on years in the dairy field, milking, etc.), is that withholding times are established for reasons of human sensitivity and exposure to antibiotics, etc., to maintain their effectiveness.

In short - withholding is called for so as to avoid an allergic reaction, esp if you are selling eggs, etc. because you never know who has an allergy or sensitivity that might be consuming them. If you are not allergic to the drug, I guess it would be up to you if you chance it. We don't (chance it), but that's the reason behind it.

The other reason would be to not be exposing yourself or the public to unnecessary drugs so that we do not create "superbugs" that are resistant to those drugs when we really need them for something important. ...The same reason we don't just take penicillin every time we are feeling logy.

Keep in mind that if you do eat an egg from a treated chicken, it is not as if you are consuming the dosage directly. The drug has been metabolized by the chicken, and only some small residue will even pass into the food product (which according to the above charts as I read them is very negligible anyway).

So what you do with that info is your own...these are just the reasons that we have withholdings. It is interesting to note also that the tetracyclines I have list NO withholding time for slaughter of chickens...typically the withholding for meat consumption is much longer (a month or more) on drugs than the withholding for the food product. My read on that (and again it is my own - make your own decision!) is that drug companies are erring on the side of caution, and/or are regulated to do so. I doubt in the real world it's that much of a threat unless you are allergic.

I just looked the company up on line of the medication and called and they are able to tell you how much to mix [i.e. tablspn teaspoon, etc] in a gallon of water for
small flocks like my own. Hope this helps. I also wondered about eating the eggs. I simply can't believe that if you treat hens that are sneezing or have other
respiratory issues that you can NEVER eat their eggs again. It's ridiculous. I follow the 14days withdrawal and I am still alive after eating their eggs.

Exactly, these antibiotics are used in humans and the low levels that would be found in eggs shouldn't even be an issue. I'm not 100% on that but I'm just using logic not scientific data. Can anyone else shed some light as to what is the big deal?

Ok, so what about Garamycin and Tylan? (I apologize for the spelling), my neighbor said to wait a month before eating the eggs, is that accurate? They are getting a 50/50 mix of both. It's KILLING me to have to toss these eggs.

Ok, so what about Garamycin and Tylan? (I apologize for the spelling), my neighbor said to wait a month before eating the eggs, is that accurate? They are getting a 50/50 mix of both. It's KILLING me to have to toss these eggs.

Why are you mixing two antibiotics together and giving them to your chickens? Mixing two antibiotics together changes the chemical properties in the medications which could possibly cause adverse reactions, possible organ damage or worse...aka contraindications. You must give one or the other, not both.
Tossing the eggs is the least of your problems. Withdrawal periods are out the window mixing two meds together. No hens, no eggs. Now you know which came first.

Recommended by my neighbor who has over 100 chickens himself and has had chickens for 55 years or so. All of his are show chickens though, if that makes a difference. Mine are not. That's what he says he does and has success.
I am a rookie so I just took his advice.

Last edited:
Recommended by my neighbor who has over 100 chickens himself and has had chickens for 55 years or so. All of his are show chickens though, if that makes a difference. Mine are not. That's what he says he does and has success.
I am a rookie so I just took his advice.

Yes, it tells me a lot. It tells me that his birds have respiratory disease(s.) That's what gallimycin and tylan are used for. It also tells me that his show birds were probably infected at bird shows and if he continues showing his sick birds, his birds will be spreading the disease(s) to other peoples birds.
That would be a complete disregard of practicing biosecurity; morally and ethically wrong showing carrier birds that will infect other birds.
I recommend that you cull your sick birds and bury them deep, away from your coop, or incinerate them. Use oxine to disinfect waterers and feeders, spray your coop with oxine and wait several months before repopulating. I recommend that you order chicks from a reputable hatchery and start anew in several months.

His chickens are inspected and tested by the state twice a year. They are not sick. They get the occasional "cold" but thats about it. We have had a ton of rain here lately. Other people in this area that own chickens are having the same problem. I'll stick with what I know for now.

His chickens are inspected and tested by the state twice a year. They are not sick. They get the occasional "cold" but thats about it. We have had a ton of rain here lately. Other people in this area that own chickens are having the same problem. I'll stick with what I know for now.
I doubt that his chickens are tested for anything other than AI and Pullorum.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom