Antibiotics and eating eggs

So I had to bring my dog to the vet today and while I was there I asked about the situation with my chickens. He said to give them the Tylan for 3 weeks. It's either going to work or it's not. I didn't ask about long term-- he didn't say. He lectured me on always quarantining new chickens first for a month. He said no more chickens come in--- this is it for us right now. We are at our limit anyway. He also said to put them on medicated feed. I was under the assumption that was just for chicks?? And he said (he would) eat the eggs during this time also (not so sure I'm going to do that). I told him that my neighbor was giving me the 50/50 mix of the garamycin and tylan and he said either or-- that or just the tylan. Since the feed store only carries the Tylan, that's what I'll stick with.

So I had to bring my dog to the vet today and while I was there I asked about the situation with my chickens. He said to give them the Tylan for 3 weeks. It's either going to work or it's not. I didn't ask about long term-- he didn't say. He lectured me on always quarantining new chickens first for a month. He said no more chickens come in--- this is it for us right now. We are at our limit anyway. He also said to put them on medicated feed. I was under the assumption that was just for chicks?? And he said (he would) eat the eggs during this time also (not so sure I'm going to do that). I told him that my neighbor was giving me the 50/50 mix of the garamycin and tylan and he said either or-- that or just the tylan. Since the feed store only carries the Tylan, that's what I'll stick with.

Tylan shouldnt be given for 3 weeks. Tylan injectable is only given for 3-5 days depending if it's injected or given orally. Tylan soluable is mixed in water and should only be given no more than 7 days maximum. Anything greater than these time periods is a waste of time and ineffective because the tylan will have already taken effect and treated the birds. If it didnt treat your birds, it means it was ineffective and will require a more powerful antibiotic such as baytril.
The longest treatment time period using antibiotics in chickens that I'm aware of is usually the soluable powders in the tetracycline group of antibiotics; such as duramycin 10 in which it's given for 7 to 14 days, and has a 21 day withdrawal period after its last day of use.
http://ultimatefowl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tylan

So I treated my chickens for 2 weeks on the Tylan because one week wasn't enough. They are all better now, no cold symptoms and back to laying eggs. Nobody died. I did have my easter egger hen have her eye all gooped and swollen shut. Squirted some terramycin ointment into it, one treatment worked. I definitely learned my lesson and will always quarantine the newbies first. We have 15 birds and that is more than enough so I doubt we will be getting anymore for a long time anyway.

I've got a chicken that survived a fox attack. My neighbor and I stitched her up and after a week of intense wound care we took her to the Vet. The Vet prescribed her a pain med (buprinex I think) and a 6 day dosing of amoxicillin. He told us not to eat her eggs for two months after her last dosing. Its been 4 weeks since the attack and probably 2 weeks since her last dosing. She laid her first egg today and I had to toss it in the trash, saddest thing I've ever done, especially since the fox wiped out almost my entire flock (all but three). Why is the wait period from amoxicillin so much longer then these other antibiotics? Has anyone else had experiences with these drugs?

Since I have a severe penicillin allergy I will definitely wait the two months but it just seems so long, I would think there would be no traces left in her system after a few weeks...

Hi, I know this is an old thread.
I got two black copper maran laying hens about 4 days ago I keep them separate from the rest of my laying flock and I noticed one of them is congested with a cold, I got both of the hens together and they both are on tetracycline. They are both laying eggs, but I'm wondering if I can eat their eggs while they are on this stuff, if not can I give their eggs to dogs? I would hate to dispose of them all. Thanks for anyone's help.

So if my chickens are laying, is it safe to eat the eggs from a chicken that is exhibiting mild symptoms? Minus the whole antibiotic thing.
We won't sell anyway. That was never the plan. This was just a hobby. And for the eggs.

I too would like to know if we can eat the eggs from a bird that could possibly be infected?

If you inject soluble terramycin into the chicken, it is possible that antibiotics will remain in the chicken's body, and the eggs born may also contain antibiotics. It is best not to eat eggs containing antibiotics, which may affect your health.

I just took my hen to vet and it cost 600. to find out had to use Doxycycline 20% power one teaspoon (5 grams) per 1 gallon for seven days and it works. Read that this is good for bacterial respiratory infections, Ornithosis, Chlamydia and Mycoplasma in pigeons and caged birds. My chickens had Mycoplasma

I just took my hen to vet and it cost 600. to find out had to use Doxycycline 20% power one teaspoon (5 grams) per 1 gallon for seven days and it works. Read that this is good for bacterial respiratory infections, Ornithosis, Chlamydia and Mycoplasma in pigeons and caged birds. My chickens had Mycoplasma
Your chicken will always have mycoplasma. Any other chickens in the flock with her is also infected. I don't think adding to water is the best course of action because it's hard to know bow much they're actually.getting. I suggest either tylan 50, tylan 200, or denagard orally. You'll need to be sure to never sell any of your birds, fertile eggs, or bring in any new birds.

Back
Top Bottom