Antibiotics at Tractor Supply?

Pics

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I have a duck with a pocket of fluid on her foot that's causing a limp, and it's a little warm to the touch, so it presumably has some infection in it. I'm currently treating it with Epsom salt soaks and drawing salve and oregano oil. I'm wondering if she'd benefit from taking an antibiotic? Someone told me you can get poultry antibiotics OTC at Tractor Supply. If that's true, what should I give her? My vet has stopped seeing birds due to Avian flu, so he would not be of any help. Thanks.

You may or may not be able to get antibiotics at TSC. It really depends on where you live. If you live in California, nope. Some sites won't even ship some antibiotics to California. So that may or may not be an option for you.

Enrofloxacin is my go to antibiotic, but they may not have that. This is where I get my antibiotic. It is the generic form of baytril and is much cheaper, but the exact same thing.
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

Amoxicillin is usually easiest to find, but it is not always the best option for treating infections in feet. They usually sell it for fish, but it is the same thing.

There are a lot different antibiotics and sometimes you just need to try one and see if it helps. Most antibiotics should show improvement within 3 days, depending on the antibiotic. If one doesn't work, you can always switch to another type.

You may or may not be able to get antibiotics at TSC. It really depends on where you live. If you live in California, nope. Some sites won't even ship some antibiotics to California. So that may or may not be an option for you.

Enrofloxacin is my go to antibiotic, but they may not have that. This is where I get my antibiotic. It is the generic form of baytril and is much cheaper, but the exact same thing.
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

Amoxicillin is usually easiest to find, but it is not always the best option for treating infections in feet. They usually sell it for fish, but it is the same thing.

There are a lot different antibiotics and sometimes you just need to try one and see if it helps. Most antibiotics should show improvement within 3 days, depending on the antibiotic. If one doesn't work, you can always switch to another type.
Thanks so much for your response. I was actually reading about Baytril when I got your post notification, so I think I will try that first. Have you used it for a foot infection? I’m in Georgia, by the way, so I’ll check TSC, and if not, I’ll use your link.

Thanks so much for your response. I was actually reading about Baytril when I got your post notification, so I think I will try that first. Have you used it for a foot infection? I’m in Georgia, by the way, so I’ll check TSC, and if not, I’ll use your link.
I have used baytril for foot infections. It has worked well on bumblefoot. I have had success using it on other foot injuries as well. Hopefully you will have better luck finding it in Georgia.

I have used baytril for foot infections. It has worked well on bumblefoot. I have had success using it on other foot injuries as well. Hopefully you will have better luck finding it in Georgia.
Thanks again. I went ahead and ordered from your link so hopefully it will get here soon. Do you use the dosing listed?

Be aware also that the Gov't is moving to "encourage" manufacturers to voluntarily withdraw certain FDA-deemed "medically important" antibiotics from over the counter sales for animal uses, and will require an ongoing relationship with a Vet in the future in order to obtain those products.

No, this does not affect amprolium/Corid. Yes, it DOES affect Penicillin G, Tylosin, Chlortetracycline, Sulfamethazine, etc.

and yes, this is a real (and intended) "inconvenience" for smal producers, some of whom (the government contends) routinely overdose their animals on antibiotics in ways likely to create and spread resistant strains of various animal diseases routinely treated by antibiotics.

TSC and some feed stores sell refrigerated antibiotics, such as Procaine penicillin G and long acting oxytetracycline (LA200) and that is about it. Those are injectables. Enrofloxacin 10%can be given 0.05 ml per pound of weight, and I have found it at jedds.com reasonably priced. Enro is banned in chickens. Amoxicillin (Aqua Mox) is found online easily.

Last edited:
I give it orally to the bird in a syringe. The dosage I use is 0.1 ml / 2lbs twice a day for 5 days. When you put antibiotics in the water, the duck may not get the correct dosage.

Here is how to administer drugs orally.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Thanks for the info! Do you do anything else for a foot infection? I noticed she's actually putting more weight on it today, but the lump of fluid is still there. I'm going to do another soak later and try to rewrap it with salve while we wait for the medication. She likes to take the bandages off...

Back
Top Bottom