Antibiotics at Tractor Supply?

Good stuff I would have rec that.
We just finished today’s soak, and I have to say I think it’s getting smaller. There is more give to her skin around it. Hopefully a few more soaks and maybe the antibiotics will get her over the edge. She’s also walking a little more normally today though she still holds it up some while she’s standing still. I’m a little concerned that she didn’t lay an egg today or yesterday, but otherwise, fingers crossed!

We just finished today’s soak, and I have to say I think it’s getting smaller. There is more give to her skin around it. Hopefully a few more soaks and maybe the antibiotics will get her over the edge. She’s also walking a little more normally today though she still holds it up some while she’s standing still. I’m a little concerned that she didn’t lay an egg today or yesterday, but otherwise, fingers crossed!
That is good it is getting better. It is possible it is just inflammation and not any infection. I could see it being something like a bee sting. I have seen a lot lately, so maybe it just stepped on a bee.

Hopefully it keeps getting better

That is good it is getting better. It is possible it is just inflammation and not any infection. I could see it being something like a bee sting. I have seen a lot lately, so maybe it just stepped on a bee.

Hopefully it keeps getting better
That could be since it came on so quickly. I also noticed her foot isn’t as warm today as it has been, so I do feel like it’s going in the right direction. Thanks!

My meds came today, and I just gave her the first dose! I have a few quick questions:

1. @Quatie, do you store yours in the fridge or just a cool dark place?
2. Do you do the entire 10-day dosage?
3. Should I keep doing the Epsom salt soaks every other day? She is actually walking really well today (limping comes and goes, and she stumbles a bit) and putting a lot more weight on it, but I can see the lump is still there. I know it stresses her out to do them, so I didn't want to put her through anything that's not necessary.

Thanks so much for all of your help! I can't wait to get her better and get her back outside. I know my other hens will be glad too because my two drakes are running them ragged.

My meds came today, and I just gave her the first dose! I have a few quick questions:

1. @Quatie, do you store yours in the fridge or just a cool dark place?
2. Do you do the entire 10-day dosage?
3. Should I keep doing the Epsom salt soaks every other day? She is actually walking really well today (limping comes and goes, and she stumbles a bit) and putting a lot more weight on it, but I can see the lump is still there. I know it stresses her out to do them, so I didn't want to put her through anything that's not necessary.

Thanks so much for all of your help! I can't wait to get her better and get her back outside. I know my other hens will be glad too because my two drakes are running them ragged.
I don't store enrofloxacin in the fridge. Just a cool dark place.

I treat mine orally with 0.05ml / lb twice a day for 5-7 days. If I start the antibiotic, I always administer it the full length of time. The only time I stop an antibiotic midway is if I switch antibiotics.

I would keep up the Epsom salt baths if you have the ability to. If it is inflammation from from a bee sting, it will continue to help. If it is from a bacterial infection, it will similarly help with that as well.

I don't store enrofloxacin in the fridge. Just a cool dark place.

I treat mine orally with 0.05ml / lb twice a day for 5-7 days. If I start the antibiotic, I always administer it the full length of time. The only time I stop an antibiotic midway is if I switch antibiotics.

I would keep up the Epsom salt baths if you have the ability to. If it is inflammation from from a bee sting, it will continue to help. If it is from a bacterial infection, it will similarly help with that as well.
I have to admit I'm terrified of giving her medication orally, so I've been using the instructions on the bottle. It says 0.5 ml/cup of water, so I've been putting out a cup of water in a shallow dish and mixing the meds in and putting some peas and mealworms in to entice her to it. Then I leave her be for a few hours before changing her regular water or feeding her anything else so that she'll hopefully get as much as possible. I'm not sure if that's the best idea, but I am so scared of misdoing/getting it into her lungs.

We resumed soaking in Epsom salt and oregano oil today. I'm thinking I'll start doing them daily instead of every other day. Her foot feels warmer today (though it's more localized to the pocket of fluid and the joint rather than her whole foot). I really want to get aggressive with this. The fluid has gone down some but it also looks like it's spread out a little bit, though she is still walking better (or she was until I started messing with it). After I soak it, I spray it with a poultry antiseptic and rub on some drawing salve, though I don't know how much good that does without bandaging it since she manages to take them off.

I'm still debating sticking a syringe in there...

I have to admit I'm terrified of giving her medication orally, so I've been using the instructions on the bottle. It says 0.5 ml/cup of water, so I've been putting out a cup of water in a shallow dish and mixing the meds in and putting some peas and mealworms in to entice her to it. Then I leave her be for a few hours before changing her regular water or feeding her anything else so that she'll hopefully get as much as possible. I'm not sure if that's the best idea, but I am so scared of misdoing/getting it into her lungs.

We resumed soaking in Epsom salt and oregano oil today. I'm thinking I'll start doing them daily instead of every other day. Her foot feels warmer today (though it's more localized to the pocket of fluid and the joint rather than her whole foot). I really want to get aggressive with this. The fluid has gone down some but it also looks like it's spread out a little bit, though she is still walking better (or she was until I started messing with it). After I soak it, I spray it with a poultry antiseptic and rub on some drawing salve, though I don't know how much good that does without bandaging it since she manages to take them off.

I'm still debating sticking a syringe in there...
If you are going to give it in her drinking water, that needs to be her sole water source for drinking. Otherwise, she will not get enough.

Giving orally is not that difficult. The hardest thing is getting their beak open and learning how to handle a syringe one handed. The main thing is to put the syringe toward to the upper beak and stick it back in pretty far. If you get in the wrong pipe, she will let you know. Here is the article on how to do it.in case you change your mind.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

You could try putting some hydrocortisone ointment on it and see if that will help with the inflammation. If you do this, you will want oi

The only other things I can think to suggest are all given orally, Benadryl and ibuprofen. Benadryl may not be worth it, because an allergic reaction should be going down by now.

Back
Top Bottom