Any advice please on caring for hens in winter when working full time?

Thanks so much for your words. I know I am so much more fortunate than so many in our world. I feel guilty sometimes thinking I might have it rough.
smile.png

I will try to figure out how to post some pictures for you. She is not much to see...a one eyed pug...but the best friend I've ever had. I look forward to seeing your cats.

Thanks again, Denise

Aaaw Denise. Don't feel guilty just be kind to yourself - depression affects all kinds of people, no matter who they are. Robin Williams for example.

Aaawww a one-eyed pug. She sounds adorable. xx

Are you sure about them not learning the taste from raw eggs? Funny story- I'm dog sitting my friend's FRENCH BULLDOG. He always has to eat just plain dry dog food, so I really treat him when he comes to my house. Last night I gave him a poached egg in his food for the fist time, my Dane gets one every night. Now all day today the Frenchie has been going into the kitchen sitting near the raw egg bowl staring up at the bowl and whining. I let him smell an egg, but he seems to be obsessed with the egg bowl now!!

Are you sure about them not learning the taste from raw eggs? Funny story- I'm dog sitting my friend's FRENCH BULLDOG. He always has to eat just plain dry dog food, so I really treat him when he comes to my house. Last night I gave him a poached egg in his food for the fist time, my Dane gets one every night. Now all day today the Frenchie has been going into the kitchen sitting near the raw egg bowl staring up at the bowl and whining. I let him smell an egg, but he seems to be obsessed with the egg bowl now!!
lau.gif
I can picture this and it's making me giggle.

When mine have the occasional soft egg they will eat it if it breaks and I don't get to it first ha ha. Not sure they would know how to crack one open though.
ep.gif

Cracking eggs open usually happens by accident, then they learn very quickly how to crack them.

I don't want to win the lottery! Though I may not have every single thing I want.... we do have food on the table and a roof over our heads. Money has never solved my real problems and IMO would make it worse for me. I don't trust myself to stay humble.

Thing is depression is actually a medical condition and not just a choice for most people. If you wouldn't feel guilty about getting cancer, depression is no different! Yes there are things you can do to help the condition, like eating nutritious and staying active.... but you really don't control the diseases. Just try not to let it control you either. Sometimes it might be effected by outside circumstances that make it seem better or worse. But the brain is such a complex part of our body and it isn't surprising that there may be some miscommunication amidst that complicated neural network.

Your pics of animals were precious!
love.gif

I like cats to.... but I dislike cleaning litter boxes and neglect it for too long to be a good cat owner. And why do dogs like eating cat poo so much?!
sickbyc.gif

Cracking eggs open usually happens by accident, then they learn very quickly how to crack them.

I don't want to win the lottery! Though I may not have every single thing I want.... we do have food on the table and a roof over our heads. Money has never solved my real problems and IMO would make it worse for me. I don't trust myself to stay humble.

Thing is depression is actually a medical condition and not just a choice for most people. If you wouldn't feel guilty about getting cancer, depression is no different! Yes there are things you can do to help the condition, like eating nutritious and staying active.... but you really don't control the diseases. Just try not to let it control you either. Sometimes it might be effected by outside circumstances that make it seem better or worse. But the brain is such a complex part of our body and it isn't surprising that there may be some miscommunication amidst that complicated neural network.

Your pics of animals were precious!
love.gif

I like cats to.... but I dislike cleaning litter boxes and neglect it for too long to be a good cat owner. And why do dogs like eating cat poo so much?!
sickbyc.gif

Aaaww thanks for such a lovely post.

I'd like to win the lottery so I could buy an animal sanctuary. However, as I rarely buy a ticket ...
lau.gif

I appreciate your thoughts on depression and agree. It is crazy how we feel 'guilty' or even ashamed - but we shouldn't. Thanks lovely.

Aaaw glad you like my animals - will put more up when I get chance. Would love to see some of yours.

Just cleaned my litter box today funnily enough. I like it fresh and sweet smelling. My cats all go outdoors but two of them come in to poop!!
he.gif
ha ha.

Hugs

Do you lock the pop door at night or do you leave access to the outside open all night? I generally lock mine up at night and open the door in the morning. In circumstances like you describe I open the pop door before I leave in the morning and fill the feeders and waterers. When I get home I lock the door. They will not be eating or drinking in the dark.

As a teacher you should have weekends off. Enjoy them then. Summer will eventually return.

Back
Top Bottom