Any advice please on caring for hens in winter when working full time?

I work as a lab teacher and menagerie manager in a high school veterinary science program and the picture was taken at my desk. I miss that pigeon. I have a chicken, Amelia Earhart, who is always sitting on my shoulder. She likes to eat leaves from that perch while I am harvesting beans that we grow on the mesh of their large pen. According to my daughters (one in Bristol, the other in London), people in England are very enthusiastic about keeping chickens. .
Aaaw that is lovely. Love the name of your chicken.

I bet you miss your girls don't you? I know I would.I have 2: katy 26 and Amy 23. Katy is still at home
big_smile.png

My chicken girls are 3 ex batts and 3 silkies adopted as their owner didn't want them anymore, so am getting them to know me when they are a little older -only had 6 and 2 months consecutively. Most of them will eat from my hand but as they generally range catching and cuddling is not always easy.

Yes we are enthusiastic sweetie. More and more of us are making the most of our little gardens to keep our little feathery friends. I personally always wanted to rescue battery hens and give them a lovely retirement. I actually did that in May of this year and adopted 4- sadly Mabel had to be put to sleep at the vets a week later with baggy crop. However Talula, Sofia and Brenda are now fully feathered and feisty. I would love a small holding but finances do not allow so am making the most of what I have.

Would rescue every neglected animal if I had the space.

I know how you feel. I live in Alaska. It is so cold. I try to go out with them but with work and short days it is so tough. You sound like such a lovely chicken owner. Just be with them when you can and don't feel guilty. They are lucky to be with you.

I know how you feel. I live in Alaska. It is so cold. I try to go out with them but with work and short days it is so tough. You sound like such a lovely chicken owner. Just be with them when you can and don't feel guilty. They are lucky to be with you.

Aaawww thanks so much - that's really nice of you
big_smile.png

I love Alaska, I went last year - such a beautiful place. Which part do you live in?

Hi! I live in Seward. My chickens were the answer to my empty nest issues. No more kids at home...so then there were chickens. I love my chickens. They each are their own individuals...interacting with me in their individual ways. I could relate to your feelings. I feel really guilty when I work over and basically they see me at feeding time. I can't wait for spring when they rule the yard and sun themselves.

It's nice to meet you. What town/city are you from? What breed of chickens do you have? I have 1 white Wyandotte, 1 buff Bantam, and 3 Hamburgs; all hens.

Denise

Oh I see Bolton...near Liverpool. Lots of rain just like us...we've been getting really cold air the past few weeks. When I open the coop...none of them come out except the bantam. She is fearless. She also has that warm little headdress. Her name is Tina Turner. :D

Hi! I live in Seward. My chickens were the answer to my empty nest issues. No more kids at home...so then there were chickens. I love my chickens. They each are their own individuals...interacting with me in their individual ways. I could relate to your feelings. I feel really guilty when I work over and basically they see me at feeding time. I can't wait for spring when they rule the yard and sun themselves.

It's nice to meet you. What town/city are you from? What breed of chickens do you have? I have 1 white Wyandotte, 1 buff Bantam, and 3 Hamburgs; all hens.

Denise
Hi Denise. Nice to meet you too. I know the empty nest feeling. My 23 year old has left and I hardly see my 26 year old. My 4 cats and 6 chickens are my lovely company.

Isn't it crazy that we feel so guilty about our lovely little ladies? It's because we are good people.

I have 3 ex battery hens: Talula (white leghorn) and Sofia and Brenda (brown marans). I think as they are ex battery they are hybrids. Then 3 black silkies : Jackie who is standard size; 2 are miniature: Bridget and Nancy. I didn't plan on getting silkies but they needed a home ha ha.

I didn't go to Seward, we were on a cruise and went to: Skegway, Juneau etc. Beautiful country.

I live in Bolton which is 10 miles from Manchester-where I was born. Very wet like Alaska ha ha. Have fallen twice this week in the garden because of the mud. Chickens were very amused
yippiechickie.gif

Oh I see Bolton...near Liverpool. Lots of rain just like us...we've been getting really cold air the past few weeks. When I open the coop...none of them come out except the bantam. She is fearless. She also has that warm little headdress. Her name is Tina Turner.
big_smile.png

Oh I see Bolton...near Liverpool. Lots of rain just like us...we've been getting really cold air the past few weeks. When I open the coop...none of them come out except the bantam. She is fearless. She also has that warm little headdress. Her name is Tina Turner.
big_smile.png

Ha ha love the name.

All mine don't mind the weather and walk around looking very bedraggled at times.

Have most of my garden covered at the moment though due to Avian Flu in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom