Any idea on age or breed of these goslings?

Naolove

Chirping
Mar 12, 2021
Hi everyone! I went to my feed store this morning and found these two little guys (gals?) Left in a box in the parking lot. I had been thinking about adding guard geese to my chicken flock anyway and couldn't leave them there in the cold so brought them home. Does anyone have any ideas on age or breed? Or tips on raisi
20230418_104054.jpg
ng them? They are on a water fowl duck pellet that the feed store had in stock and I'm building them a bigger brooder area today. Also they stare up a lot thatttt. Is that normal gosling behavior?? I'm so used to chickens I'm not sure if they are just being geese or if something is wrong lol thank you!!!

Attachments

• 20230418_104056.jpg
    20230418_104056.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 5
They look like African or Brown Chinese to me. Although sometime mixed breed geese can look similar. Pictured here are three of my African x Tolouse goslings ( 1-2 weeks old) with a slightly larger American Buff Gosling (3-4 weeks old)

Attachments

• D99D9B88-9D9C-4BC2-855E-5946C7C7C46F.jpeg
    D99D9B88-9D9C-4BC2-855E-5946C7C7C46F.jpeg
    572.2 KB · Views: 5
Hi everyone! I went to my feed store this morning and found these two little guys (gals?) Left in a box in the parking lot. I had been thinking about adding guard geese to my chicken flock anyway and couldn't leave them there in the cold so brought them home. Does anyone have any ideas on age or breed? Or tips on raisiView attachment 3472230ng them? They are on a water fowl duck pellet that the feed store had in stock and I'm building them a bigger brooder area today. Also they stare up a lot thatttt. Is that normal gosling behavior?? I'm so used to chickens I'm not sure if they are just being geese or if something is wrong lol thank you!!!
I would be more inclined to put them on crumbles, duck starter if you can find it. I am thinking the pellets could be a chocking hazard as they look like they are only about a week at the most to me. They sure are cuties. They might even be wild Canadian Geese as I see a lot of them here in Ohio when they are babies and they sure do resemble that. A lot of babies look alike though. Bless you for rescuing them. They might be staring up because the pelets are choking them. You could grind the pelets up too if you can't find Duck starter. Our TSC has it and that is what I used for all of my baby ducks. Good Luck with them. They are Darling!!!

They look like African or Brown Chinese to me. Although sometime mixed breed geese can look similar. Pictured here are three of my African x Tolouse goslings ( 1-2 weeks old) with a slightly larger American Buff Gosling (3-4 weeks old)
My friend was thinking about getting a Tolouse goose somewhere later on. Can you please tell me where you found yours?

Brown chinese or Africans like @Goose Smith sugested and crumbles would be preferable also. Maybe a week or two old.

I’m not sure what brand of feed they’re on but goslings should be eating a 22% protein feed that’s high in B vitamins also.

Goslings don’t always need as much heat as chicks so if they’re avoiding the heat source just turn it down a bit or back it away until they seem more comfortable.

Staring upwards may just be them looking for you, geese are very social and goslings especially crave contact and to snuggle with someone.

I’m so glad you took these little ones home. I don’t know what kind of monster would abandon them like that but thankfully you were there to rescue them!

Thank you everyone so much!! I'll check the protein level of the feed. I'm not sure. The feed store is the one that picked it out for me since I'm new to geese and ducks. I will definitely look into crumbling up the pellets for them for a week or two, I have a coffee grinder I use for my crossbeak rooster.
Heat wise the brooder plate is keeping it around 80 and I'm moving them to something bigger tomorrow I just need to get some latches. They are so sweet and cute and I hate that people throw babies away like this. I found 4 chicks the day after Easter last year in the same parking lot 😡

I’ll go ahead and also mention this since you eluded to keeping them as guardian geese for an existing chicken flock…

Geese are really only a deterrent to aerial predation at best. They’ll make a fuss and watch out for “out of the ordinary” things going on around them, but if say a fox or mink were to make an attempt I doubt geese would stand much of a chance. I got my first geese for a similar reason. They have succeeded in deterring hawks and buzzards which landed frequently and killed chickens before their arrival.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom