Any ideas on what colors these are?

My understanding of the sex link gene is that only the males can be split to a sex linked color. Your hens may be split to opal but not cameo.

My understanding of the sex link gene is that only the males can be split to a sex linked color. Your hens may be split to opal but not cameo.
Incorrect, my hens are in fact cameos, but they carry opal. It is key when splitting birds of the sex link colours that you use a male of that colour, otherwise the colour is only passed on to the males.

Male cameo x female opal = cameo hens (split to opal) and IB males (split to opal and cameo). The punnett square below shows how it is possible. Cameo is only carried on the male chromosome (Z), while opal is carried on both (both chromosomes need to carry the opal gene in order to be visually opal) (W annotates female genetic info).

Z (opal) W (opal)

Z(cameo) Z(opal)Z(cameo) Z(cameo)W(opal)

Z(cameo) Z (opal)Z(cameo Z(cameo)W(opal)

If this were flipped (ie. opal male on cameo hen, only the males would be split to both). You will find in a couple of years that many of the newer colours have been and will be produced this way. Both Roughwood and Texas Peafowl have stated on their websites concerning the combining of colours (Roughwood has a purple bronze combo he calls indigo). I am attempting this with at least 6 of the colours, the only problem is odds. A lot of birds have to be produced to get the desired colour combination. THis is the same when breeding blackshoulder into a colour. I have birds that are split bs and bronze, but their resulting offspring will only end in 1:16 chances of getting a blackshoulder bronze (could be either male or female). We'll see how good my odds are next year
wink.png

Incorrect, my hens are in fact cameos, but they carry opal. It is key when splitting birds of the sex link colours that you use a male of that colour, otherwise the colour is only passed on to the males.

Male cameo x female opal = cameo hens (split to opal) and IB males (split to opal and cameo). The punnett square below shows how it is possible. Cameo is only carried on the male chromosome (Z), while opal is carried on both (both chromosomes need to carry the opal gene in order to be visually opal) (W annotates female genetic info).

Z (opal) W (opal)

Z(cameo) Z(opal)Z(cameo) Z(cameo)W(opal)

Z(cameo) Z (opal)Z(cameo Z(cameo)W(opal)

If this were flipped (ie. opal male on cameo hen, only the males would be split to both). You will find in a couple of years that many of the newer colours have been and will be produced this way. Both Roughwood and Texas Peafowl have stated on their websites concerning the combining of colours (Roughwood has a purple bronze combo he calls indigo). I am attempting this with at least 6 of the colours, the only problem is odds. A lot of birds have to be produced to get the desired colour combination. THis is the same when breeding blackshoulder into a colour. I have birds that are split bs and bronze, but their resulting offspring will only end in 1:16 chances of getting a blackshoulder bronze (could be either male or female). We'll see how good my odds are next year
wink.png
I agree with what you are saying, but in your previous post you said your hens were split to cameo and opal. That was why I made my comment. Cameo is a sex link color. Opal is not. Cameo hens can be split to opal.

In technicality, they would be, but because cameo is dominant on the male gene they are then visually cameo. My mistake in misleading you to say they were split cameo and opal.

Question
I was told that sexlinks can not be split so how can a cameo hen be split with opal or any color?
Like my hen is out of a cameo male over BS she is sexlinked right?

Question
I was told that sexlinks can not be split so how can a cameo hen be split with opal or any color?
Like my hen is out of a cameo male over BS she is sexlinked right?
I'll give you a very simple explanation because I'm not very good with the punnet squares.

Yes, your hen (Cameo) is a sex linked color and she is split to blackshoulder. Regardless of their color, all hens can be split to the 'regular' colors, patterns, etc. But no hens can be split to a sex linked color. Males only can be split to a sex linked color.

I'm pretty sure that two of them are india blue and one is pied, but the buff colored one has me stumped. The hens that it possibly came from are india blue, pied, spalding, black shouldered; the peacocks would be white, dark pied IB, Midnight BS, Jade Spalding.... Thanks.
To get back to the subject. I would say 2 India blue, 1 silver pied and 1 either Cameo or Purple. I agree with Arbor that the white is probably masking the color and is the father. Does the lighter color chick have white flight feathers? It's hard to tell from this picture. When you have a mixture of birds breeding like this, you never know what may be in the gene pool.
big_smile.png

The lighter colored one doesn't have any white on it...just that buff color all over. One of the IB has white wing feathers. The silver pied throws me for a loop
idunno.gif
It is kind of a grab bag what gets hatched out of a large pen of peas....

Seeing as the source didn't have any silver pied, your bird could have been the result of a hen carrying one copy of the white eyed gene (ie the pied hen) and bred to a male that might be carrying the white eyed gene as well (ie white male). This would result (in theory anyways) in offspring that could potentially be silver pied.

I'll give you a very simple explanation because I'm not very good with the punnet squares.

Yes, your hen (Cameo) is a sex linked color and she is split to blackshoulder. Regardless of their color, all hens can be split to the 'regular' colors, patterns, etc. But no hens can be split to a sex linked color. Males only can be split to a sex linked color.
You know i am thinking 3 of my males are split cameo because the breeder only had one pen of blues and they were throwing pieds and split whies only so these boys had to come from the cameo pen if all males look blue but are split cameo.
So if i breed one of them with my cameo female (their sister) can i get cameos of both sexes or are they gonna be sexlinked also?
I want to know because i plan on selling these boys but i also want more cameos and i only got 1 last year so if this would give me what i want them i could keep one male for breeding, i want a male cameo here

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom