Any ideas on what killed my hen?

arrienwilliams

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 19, 2014
Virginia
I've been in tears all morning because I found one of my hens lying dead right off of my porch about 10 feet from the cage/coop, and one of my roosters is also missing, leaving behind piles of feathers. I should've inspected my dear Kiki's body more closely but I was so upset by the fact that her entire head and neck was torn off I couldn't look much further. I've read other forums seeing similarities between my hens death and others, but I still have questions. First of all, my hen was sitting on eggs so she was locked in a large dog cage by herself. Yes, locked in. It has two latches that are rusty and hard for me to open or close so how can a racoon possibly open it? There has been reports of bears, coyotes, and raccoons in my neighbor hood, but I'm confused as to how they would come up on my back porch ( where the cages are) and break in?? My house is basically surrounding the porch, are predators really that audacious?? I'm just so shocked. And also why would the predator, whatever it may be, kill a hen and rip the head off and then drag away my rooster? It doesn't seem consistent. There is a possibility that Pearl may be alive as this will be his third time "disappearing" and I'm trying to stay optimistic. But anyways, I can't identify one predator because this attack has qualities of several types of predators. Any information would be helpful!

I am so sorry to hear about your hen. I have heard that racoons can pull a chicken's head through the wires of a cage and bite it off. I have also heard that they are very good at getting locks and latches open. I have never seen it happen personally, but I am new to chicken keeping and have been researching about predators since finding a racoon on my back deck last week.

Yes the door was opened, sorry if I didn't give enough info, still really shaken up! I'll attach a picture of the cage and locks. The latches are rusty so they're very hard to open and close which I don't think a racoon would be strong enough to open it

Oh and one more thing, Kiki was sitting on 5 eggs and they were left in the cage untouched. Don't most chicken predators eat the eggs as well?

That's what I thought too, about raccoons not being very strong, but I came across a lot of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Here's one from this site :
Welcome to BYQ Laputa, or should i say neighbor!!
wink.png

Coons are extremly strong for their size, i have seen where a big ol' male raccoon bent heavy gauge roofing tin back like a candy wrapper so it could kill some chickens. I have also had a pretty good sized coon tear up my live trap, it actually ripped the heavy gauge wire apart, but it didnt get out before i seen it. They are very smart, agile, tough and fearless creatures that can cause great damage in little time at all.....................Jason

It kind of makes me wonder what I lengths I will have to do to raccoon proof my coop in the future! I hope you find your rooster soon and suffer no more losses.

Lost Miss Pattycakes this afternoon. Something grabbed her by the butt severely damaging it and tore her head and neck up. Found my white Leghorn under a tree, her comb has a small tear and she has a limp, she also was in shock, but there was no further damage. She doing better now, she's eating and moving around. The Bantam Polish Lace was untouched. Very upsetting! :(

Lost Miss Pattycakes this afternoon. Something grabbed her by the butt severely damaging it and tore her head and neck up. Found my white Leghorn under a tree, her comb has a small tear and she has a limp, she also was in shock, but there was no further damage. She doing better now, she's eating and moving around. The Bantam Polish Lace was untouched. Very upsetting! :(

Since the attack happened in the afternoon, it probably wasn't a varmint...I'm thinking a dog attack. Pearl, my rooster who is still missing, got attacked by my neighbors dog and it tore off all his butt feathers and bit his legs...sounds very similar to your incident. I would ask neighbors about their dogs as well as keep an eye out for strays!

Back
Top Bottom