Any ideas what can make 9 chickens disappear in 4 1/2 hours?

Quote:
a bob would eat some and bury (somewhat) the rest fox don,t ussally do that many at once a momma yote with a litter however and it is almost the right time of the year the iroqois national wildlife refege not too far frokm you probally has a yote population as well as the airport near you it is probally overun with them . I trap a few airports here for fox and coyotes good luck with finding out what and getting rid of it

I had two great dane dogs make off with 10 meat birds and two turkeys without even a feather in the yard. They were only about 3 weeks old and I guess were each just a mouthful. Thankfully the owner fessed up right away and offered to do whatever it took to make it right. In the end, he paid to make my fence "great dane proof" and offered to replace all the birds and feed.

have they shown up Yet? I hope so
fl.gif

1 chicken came back yesterday morning after my DH went out and called for them, but it has been raining here for 2 days non stop, so this morning (I am awaiting the sunrise) I am going out to call. I am gonna go in the direction she came from and hope I get some chooks. When Flash came back yesterday it gave us some hope that they we may find a few more. She was real hapy to be out of the rain, my DH said she couldn't wait to get in the coop and that she was soaked. Wish me luck, and I will let u all know how it turns out. I hope they are all in the same general area and were waiting for the rain to let up. off I go to look.

Good luck! I'm hoping that they are hiding, and are now battened down b/c of the rain. 9 chickens is a lot to lose, without a trace!

taking a break after almost 2 hours of searching, my neighbor has quite a few barns I would like to snoop in, but he wasn't home this am or last night when I went to ask him if he minded me lookin. gonna get some coffee and search my other neighbors property (assuming someone is home to ask) in a little bit. having 1 come home gave me hope, but I am slowly losing it.
hit.gif

I expected to lose 1 or 2 to predators, but not 8 (I was too upset to count the 1st day, and was only missing 8, now 7) after I calmed down the 1st day I realized I can't count. on that day 9 + 4 = 12. lol
no feathers anywhere, and my hound dog isn't much help, probably cause it's been raining. I will continue my search and update as it happens. thank you all for your crossed fingers and hopefully some prayers. I would settle for 1 more (maybe one of my DH's fav birds, since they are all gone) but I really want Fancy or pickles or crap...any of them
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

anyone have any idea how far a chicken might travel ? I would like to have some sort of radius or acerage idea of how far to look. And do I call them only when I am by the house? Am I confusing them by calling everywhere I walk? I even left a corn trail (I know, other things will eat the corn, but I thought it was worth a go, corn is cheap)

or I mean how far a chicken would travel when running scared from something?

Last edited:
Maybe try feed rattling in a pan or some and calling to them. Check places that they would be able to hide..
fl.gif
still praying that you find them!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom