Any one know the laws for chickens in Port Charlotte, FL (Charlotte County)

raceban2003

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
I was wondering if anyone knew the law or ordnance about rasping a few chickens in Port Charlotte, FL. I know we have some weird laws. Charlotte county is a weird one because we only have 1 yes I said 1 city in the entire county its the strangest thing. So laws are a bit hard to find lol.. If anyone can help that would be great.

04/24/2014 So in an email to the county here what I was told. Not very clear cut.... There is no specific code.

~~There is no code that says where chickens can’t be…..the code for agricultural zoning specifically allows them and no other zoning does so they are dis-allowed in every other zoning category. Hope this helps.
Shawn Horton
Code Enforcement Manager
Charlotte County

So I did find out the answer to this question.

So after some serious research and contacting different agencies including code enforcement and the County attorney. It comes down to this. Since raising of poultry is specifically mentioned in AG zoning and never mentioned in any other zoning it is NOT ALLOWED. here is the problem with this.. this is a example and the county laws are set up this way. If in one zoning it specifically say you cannot park on your property in any un-paved area but yet that rule is not mentioned in any other zoning. The county considers that as it is against the code in all areas. Its not right and they get a way it. I have asked a local attorney and it is confirmed that if you live in any place that is not designated as Agricultural or AG then it is not allowed to raise live stock or poultry.

With that said I think its about time for people to get together and fight this one.

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/530878/charlotte-county-florida-ordinances

Come join us - we've been chatting about this few a few weeks now - I think I may have read one of your blogs there already - RE (residential estates) looks like may pass if Commissioners vote YES to the Zoning and Planing Board's proposal Phase 1 for zoning changes. Went to meeting on 9/8 but they did not talk about any other zones. Sad. We're getting a group together to push for other zones and eventually the whole county!

hello,

I live in burnt store village. About 10 months ago I found online you could have up to 8 hens in charlotte county. also a chicken is defined as a domestic animal in charlotte county. Have you heard anything out because i have 7 hens and was told i could not have them and the information i came across prior i can no longer find.

thanks
jeff

Does anyone have any updates on raising chickens in Port Charlotte. I am not able to find a definite answer. I'm not even sure who would be the right person to contact. Thanks

Does anyone have any updates on raising chickens in Port Charlotte. I am not able to find a definite answer. I'm not even sure who would be the right person to contact.  Thanks  

Hi. We live in Port Charlotte and have had zoning come by our house a few times telling us we can't have our chickens. After doing some research and looking at the county ordnances I found that Animal Control considers a chicken a domestic animal. The last time zoning came by the guy had a Charlotte County Deputy with him. After hearing their speech that I couldn't have my chickens I said that Animal Control says a chicken is a domestic animal and when they eat their dog I will get rid of my chickens. That was over a year and a half ago and I haven't heard from them since.

hello,

I live in burnt store village. About 10 months ago I found online you could have up to 8 hens in charlotte county. also a chicken is defined as a domestic animal in charlotte county. Have you heard anything out because i have 7 hens and was told i could not have them and the information i came across prior i can no longer find.

thanks
jeff

Hi, we live in Port Charlotte and had the same problem. After several visits from the zoning department I did some research and found that Animal Control considers a chicken a domestic animal. When they came back the last time I told them that and that I will eat my chickens when they eat their dog and they left. That was over a year and a half ago and I haven't heard from them since.

I was wondering if anyone knew the law or ordnance about rasping a few chickens in Port Charlotte, FL. I know we have some weird laws. Charlotte county is a weird one because we only have 1 yes I said 1 city in the entire county its the strangest thing. So laws are a bit hard to find lol.. If anyone can help that would be great.

04/24/2014 So in an email to the county here what I was told. Not very clear cut.... There is no specific code.

~~There is no code that says where chickens can’t be…..the code for agricultural zoning specifically allows them and no other zoning does so they are dis-allowed in every other zoning category. Hope this helps.
Shawn Horton
Code Enforcement Manager
Charlotte County

So I did find out the answer to this question.

So after some serious research and contacting different agencies including code enforcement and the County attorney. It comes down to this. Since raising of poultry is specifically mentioned in AG zoning and never mentioned in any other zoning it is NOT ALLOWED. here is the problem with this.. this is a example and the county laws are set up this way. If in one zoning it specifically say you cannot park on your property in any un-paved area but yet that rule is not mentioned in any other zoning. The county considers that as it is against the code in all areas. Its not right and they get a way it. I have asked a local attorney and it is confirmed that if you live in any place that is not designated as Agricultural or AG then it is not allowed to raise live stock or poultry.

With that said I think its about time for people to get together and fight this one.
Thank you for this information. I am looking for a home with an acre of land. Zone in Gulf Cove is Zone RSF 3.5. So even though its an acre if its not AG cant have 4 chickens?

Back
Top Bottom