Any one use these feeders ?

RGB1143

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2024
Does anyone use this quail feeder? I am think of building something similar out of HDPE food safe plastic with the quail feeder ports to help prevent waste.

My goal is to add food from outside of the cage through gravity feed and avoid filling it up every two days.

E189D9E9-F024-4189-B50B-A3DDDD544820.png

I used a similar feeder in a Wynola Ranch cage, but covered the opening with chicken wire instead of the hardware cloth mesh shown. I had to put the entire thing in my cage, so filling from outside wasn't an option, but I only used it for one day. In the morning, the feeder was empty and most of the feed was in the droppings tray beneath it.

Since the Wynola Ranch cages come with a trough that hangs on the front (outside of the cage), I tried covering the trough with chicken wire. That was much more successful and I was able to be gone for over three days without them running out of food. I eventually removed the chicken wire because it was too much of a pain to fill the trough with the wire in the way.

Based on my experience, if the access port is inside the cage, you're likely to have a lot of waste, but if you can arrange it so they have to stick their heads outside of the cage to get to the food, it will reduce their ability to fling the food all over.

Back
Top Bottom