Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Got my first egg yesterday!! It was very much on the small side for a Barred Rock, but, hey.....it was a start! Today she layer 2 shelless eggs, and before I could catch her, she began eating it! One was laid in the coop and the other in the run. Caught the run one before everyone descended on it to eat it! Not what I want happening! Guess I need to keep an eye out during the next few days! Don't need egg eaters!

Got my first egg yesterday!! It was very much on the small side for a Barred Rock, but, hey.....it was a start! Today she layer 2 shelless eggs, and before I could catch her, she began eating it! One was laid in the coop and the other in the run. Caught the run one before everyone descended on it to eat it! Not what I want happening! Guess I need to keep an eye out during the next few days! Don't need egg eaters!

Hopefully they won't recognize the fully formed egg as the same delicious treat they had before! Congrats on the first egg!

Last edited:
Hi, mine will be 22 weeks this Thursday . But no eggs yet. We have a rooster, a friend had to rehome him so I took him. We lost one of our girls last week. Our dog got her. Mishap with the fence in the new, expensive dog yard. Fixed now. We also upgraded to chicken run, it is bigger and stronger now. Hopefully, we are wiser. It is cold and rainy here in south western Maine.

Last edited:
Hi, mine will be 22 weeks this Thursday . But no eggs yet. We have a rooster, a friend had to rehome him so I took him. We lost one of our girls last week. Our dog got her. Mishap with the fence in the new, expensive dog yard. Fixed now. We also upgraded to chicken run, it is bigger and stronger now. Hopefully, we are wiser. It is cold and rainy here in south western Maine.

Sorry to hear you lost one!

I have discovered that I actually have: 2 Leghorns, 2 Golden Comets, 2 Amber Whites and 6 unknown white chickens...lol. When my friend got her chicks she neglected to ask what kind they were. Currently, at 19 weeks. I know the first six are laying eggs. I get 8-9 a day. 2 darker shade of brown, 2 white and the rest a lighter brown. Could the rest of the hens be Ambers as well? Even with no other feather color but white? Eggs were a medium size, but today they were large. I have seen the Amber whites lay, the Comets and the Leghorns eggs are white. So I am stumped as to what the others might be. I was told they were amuracanna, but I thought they layed a blue egg.
Here is a picture of one of my unknown ladies in the hay feeder.
Any opinions would be welcomed.

Last edited:
Finally got our first!!
Oh lucky you! So cool!

Doing the happy egg dance!!
D.gif
Have one EE who survived a coyote raid back in the summer....Such a pretty sweet lady... Now she's a HEN !!!! Laid her first egg today!! I have 4 other hens that I got from spring of last year but they are going thru molt....eggs are hit and miss right now! her's is the little perfect one on the right end..
wee.gif

Last edited:
I have ten barred rocks, all the same age. At 20 weeks and 2 days we got our first egg. We have gotten 1-3 eggs most days but today we got 5. So I guess at least five of them are laying. Be cool if they would all lay on the same day. A couple of them are noticeably behind with red combs and wattles but I'm sure it won't be long.

Back
Top Bottom