Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I have discovered that I actually have: 2 Leghorns, 2 Golden Comets, 2 Amber Whites and 6 unknown white chickens...lol. When my friend got her chicks she neglected to ask what kind they were. Currently, at 19 weeks. I know the first six are laying eggs. I get 8-9 a day. 2 darker shade of brown, 2 white and the rest a lighter brown. Could the rest of the hens be Ambers as well? Even with no other feather color but white? Eggs were a medium size, but today they were large. I have seen the Amber whites lay, the Comets and the Leghorns eggs are white. So I am stumped as to what the others might be. I was told they were amuracanna, but I thought they layed a blue egg.
Here is a picture of one of my unknown ladies in the hay feeder.
Any opinions would be welcomed.
Hi!

I wasn't familiar with this breed, and what makes it up.. so here goes a bit of information that I learned about them. I guess a big tell tale sign for these two variations is their combs. What do you girls look like. ALso.. is it possible that you just got more leghorns than previously thought? They are beautiful, I LOVE super red combs against all white plumage, so pretty. I have a white maran that is close to POL, and just love her. Here is the info.. Please keep us posted!

http://showchickens.com/chickenbreeds/amber-white-and-amber-star/

Hope this helps a bit?

MB

Doing the happy egg dance!!
D.gif
Have one EE who survived a coyote raid back in the summer....Such a pretty sweet lady... Now she's a HEN !!!! Laid her first egg today!! I have 4 other hens that I got from spring of last year but they are going thru molt....eggs are hit and miss right now! her's is the little perfect one on the right end..
wee.gif
Congrats!!!!!! I can't wait until my EE's give me some eggs! I have a looonnnnngggg time to wait! I am so happy she survived and lived to lay the egg! She is pretty too,, I am always surprised how big EE's can get.

MB

My wyandottes will be 23 weeks tomorrow. Two look really ready, the others are getting there. Hopefully soon. I will post pictures later today.

would love to see pics of them! Strange time of year for all of us to be waiting on eggs, I love getting the chicks started in July/August and then by the beginning of the year, after the winter solstice, and the days getting longer, the egg laying begins. GOing to be a long cold wait for me... I have brooders and grow out pens all over the place. Hoping by March, I will be rolling in eggs!

MB

Obviously, the little Roo, is not expected to lay he is 23 weeks old already. He is a RIR. The girls are GLW and SLW. They will be 23 weeks tomorrow.
Beautiful flock, you are getting there! How is the RIR roo's disposition thus far?

MB

Beautiful flock, you are getting there! How is the RIR roo's disposition thus far?

MB
He is a little squawky, but he gets along well with the ladies. He was a friends. He grew up with her flock. I meant to keep him separate,but he flew over the mesh fence barrier while we were out. We have a good sized yard, he tries to chase some of the girls, but so far he is okay. He just started crowing yesterday. He just crows in the moring for about a half hour, lucky we are away from our neighbors. We are very rural.

Good Morning all

Just thought I would post this clip to get us all our hoping and wishing energy going! LoL... best clip I've seen in a while showing this...

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/getting-good-eggs.aspx

MB
Interesting clip, thanks for sharing. No eggs yet, the girls are 23 weeks old today. I gave them some grapes, leftover baked beans, and some stale bread while I was checking the coop, cleaning up the coop and refilling water, and feed. Today, I want to weed my gardens, we are new in our house, I am trying to do inventory on the perennial gardens, and get a start on planning for next year. We have a bunch of herbs planted in our side garden, I would like to expand a little on that. Our home is on 2 1/2 acres, we have wild blueberries and blackberries in the field behind us. We moved in 7/26/14, so we picked a little of the blueberries this year, but we were so busy with moving, our out of town kids visiting, we really still don't have everything unpacked. We still have a storage shed, and a house about five hours away that we hope to list to sell next spring. My husband has an old 1953 Farmall tractor up there, a bunch of tools and attachments for the tractor. It gives me a headache to even think of it all. Our house here is so nice that I have to pinch myself to believe that it is all ours. Well, ours and the banks.

Interesting clip, thanks for sharing. No eggs yet, the girls are 23 weeks old today. I gave them some grapes, leftover baked beans, and some stale bread while I was checking the coop, cleaning up the coop and refilling water, and feed. Today, I want to weed my gardens, we are new in our house, I am trying to do inventory on the perennial gardens, and get a start on planning for next year. We have a bunch of herbs planted in our side garden, I would like to expand a little on that. Our home is on 2 1/2 acres, we have wild blueberries and blackberries in the field behind us. We moved in 7/26/14, so we picked a little of the blueberries this year, but we were so busy with moving, our out of town kids visiting, we really still don't have everything unpacked. We still have a storage shed, and a house about five hours away that we hope to list to sell next spring. My husband has an old 1953 Farmall tractor up there, a bunch of tools and attachments for the tractor. It gives me a headache to even think of it all. Our house here is so nice that I have to pinch myself to believe that it is all ours. Well, ours and the banks.

Oh Congratulations! I understand that pinch yourself feeling. We moved here, left the hectic life and suburbia to move to a far more rural place. We were fortunate to cash out after selling our home in the suburbs and buy our little 6 acres of Heaven. Thank God we did, as right after we moved, my husband suffered a horrible injury at his job, and broke his neck and back.. Thankfully he wasn't paralyzed, but lost his way to make a living the way he had been. He recuperated for a year on our lovely little farm, and it is just so peaceful here. That was 5 years ago, and I am still not totally unpacked!

Blessings to you and yours in your little piece of paradise!

MB

Back
Top Bottom