Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

When I place the newest eggs in the skelter, I don't put it at the top, just at the top of the eggs currently there. When you remove the bottom egg (oldest one) they just roll down to replace it. Just the thought of placing it at the top and watching it roll all the way down, makes me cringe.
ep.gif
You're right to cringe!!! My hubby could not restrain himself and just HAD to try putting it at the top and seeing if it would roll down like a toy car on a racing track. With predictable results..... I told him it was his once-in-a-lifetime chance to try.

Carefully placing the new eggs against the top egg, it works really well. I did find when my girls were laying their first eggs and they were small, I had to "help" the odd egg round a tight corner, to make sure it flowed well. Within a few weeks their eggs were a normal, large size, and they pretty much flow by themselves.

I am well pleased with it, as you can tell.

All the best to the egg-waiters and egg-owners alike
Katrina

Last edited:
Those egg holders are so cool!

Since this seems to be the official thread for complaining about the weather, I'll add my 2 cents.

We had yet another snow day yesterday. The high was 17 degrees! I went out twice to collect eggs and take the chickens unfrozen water. 4 out of 6 eggs laid yesterday froze and cracked. Grrrr.
rant.gif

Speaking of weather...i live on the coast in Texas. It never snows here, never gets really cold, and the humidity is off the charts! With weather like this we also have mammoth mosquitos!!! I wanted 6 chickens but now have 18 and i hope everyone of them will eat nothing but MOSQUITOS the entire summer!!!! Maybe then my kids can play outside without getting eaten alive!!! Oh how i wish for a week or two of snow to kill off some of these monsters!!!

For all of you battling snow and cold weather..i hope the sun comes out and warms yall up soon!!!! Maybe me and the kids can come visit and play in it before it all melts away:)

PS..I ordered my egg skelter 2 days ago!! Cant wait to get it!

Such nice eggs!  Most of mine are quite a bit smaller than that....and why is it they all will use the SAME box?  I find four at a time in the same nesting box and I do NOT understand how none of them are broken.  Today I put a dummy egg in the other box to see if it would entice anyone to use it....

These are from our 18 month olds. The small one is from the one that is moulting. Our blue ones are about the size of the small brown one - they are laid by our almost 6 month olds.

So I found out what happens when you put a dummy egg in a nest to encourage the use of both nests.....they ALL lay their eggs in the one with the dummy egg! So I think I see the psychology here....whoever lays first chooses and the rest just look at it and say oh, that's where we're laying today...

Now I have to put dummy eggs in both to see what they do....

Mi
So I found out what happens when you put a dummy egg in a nest to encourage the use of both nests.....they ALL lay their eggs in the one with the dummy egg!  So I think I see the psychology here....whoever lays first chooses and the rest just look at it and say oh, that's where we're laying today...  

Mine HATED the dummy eggs. They kicked them out of the boxes into the coop. We put them back. They kicked them out of the boxes, down the ramp, and out to the furthest possible corner of the ramp. Crazy girls.

Wow - what a busy day yesterday and today!! I can't even catch up and comment on everything but congrats to all the egg laying!!!

I got three yesterday!!! All in one nesting box. One of them was a new layer!! I'm not sure who yet - either my RIR or one of my BR. They have been "practicing" the last couple days, finally. The other two was from my great silkie girl and my EE who have been laying pretty much every other day for the last week and a half. Unfortunately though, by the time we collected them, the silkie egg had gotten cracked.
It is funny how they will all lay in different boxes until we leave one in there and then they all lay in the same one - whichever one started it with the first egg...

So I found out what happens when you put a dummy egg in a nest to encourage the use of both nests.....they ALL lay their eggs in the one with the dummy egg! So I think I see the psychology here....whoever lays first chooses and the rest just look at it and say oh, that's where we're laying today...

I can tell you what happened to me today. I have two nest boxes, side by side with a divider between. I put a ceramic egg in each of the nest boxes and they have only laid in one box. They just keep adding to that box until they're all done. Today, I found both ceramic eggs in the box that they normally lay in along with their usual 7 eggs. Question, how did they get that ceramic egg from one box into the other?

Back
Top Bottom